PDA

View Full Version : Motorized pipe-turner

Josh Bernbaum
01-17-2014, 01:05 PM
I'm looking for a (preferably used and variable-speed) motorized pipe-turner. Most of the ones I've seen can rotate several rods at a time but I really only need to rotate one at a time. I'm pretty good at building stuff, until it involves having moving parts, so that's why I'm starting to look around at what may be available. Any leads would be appreciated, thanks.

Peter Bowles
01-19-2014, 03:37 AM
here you go Josh..

http://www.essemce.se/secondhand.html

Josh Bernbaum
01-19-2014, 09:34 AM
Thank you Peter,
I've sent them an email. Not sure if shipping from Sweden to USA would be practical cost-wise, but it's worth finding out.

Pete VanderLaan
01-19-2014, 11:04 AM
A little tiny one RPM gear motor from Graingers would do the trick with two simple gears and one chain Josh. Little gear motors are very powerful.

Marty Kremer
01-19-2014, 08:47 PM
Thank you Peter,
I've sent them an email. Not sure if shipping from Sweden to USA would be practical cost-wise, but it's worth finding out.

nevermind the shipping, how about the cost of electric conversion?

Ray Laubs
01-19-2014, 08:54 PM
http://www.surpluscenter.com/Electric-Motors/AC-Gearmotors/AC-Gearmotors/
mind the rpms, wouldnt want one flying around at 900.... just sayin

Sky Campbell
01-20-2014, 12:12 AM
Well for what's it's worth here's a picture of one of mine. Those gears are attached to roller blade wheels. I use dc stepper motors with a dc speed control. The whole unit breaks in the middle this alows for adjustment to have the pipe move forward as it turns. I use that function a lot and if you have forward and reverse you can easily have it roll in and out of the heat with a flick of a switch.
Well the picture is sideways but just happy to see I can post pics from my phone. Up late charging again.

John Gilmor
01-20-2014, 10:12 AM
Josh I have 2 essemce pipe turners and 1 pipe turner with their automatic glory hole machine for drawing stems. Can send pics if you want.

Josh Bernbaum
01-22-2014, 06:40 PM
Thank you all for those responses, I appreciate the advice. @John Gilmor, would be interested in seeing a photo of that "glory hole machine for making stems" just out of curiosity.

Rich Arentzen
02-20-2014, 07:49 AM
If you do not end up with John's, call John Chiles. We have one he made for us last year and are very happy with it. Plus he is in VT!

Josh Bernbaum
02-20-2014, 02:11 PM
Thank you Rich. I have been talking with John Chiles recently and it's good to hear your endorsement for the one you bought from him.

Eben Horton
02-24-2014, 07:24 AM
I can endorse the chiles turner as well. They will pay for themselves if you use them correctly.