PDA

View Full Version : Grinding & Polishing Equipment for Sale

James Clarke
03-13-2014, 08:59 PM
I posted this a while back and thought I'd give it another shot. I'll consider pretty much any offers from anyone willing to come and get these machines and take them away...

After I shut down my studio way back when, I kept all my grinding & polishing machines thinking I'd use them again some day. I have now come to the conclusion that I will not, and I'd be interested in selling them. They are all old & used, but still functional and would be worthy of some clean up & restoration. I have 5 grinders ranging from Chicago/Lange machines to one my Uncle & I build & a couple I'm not sure who made them. Some old tires for splash guards and some drip trays for grit & you'd be up & running. Two of the machines are set up for polishing (one for pumice & one for cerium). I also have a Sommer & Maca 4" x 134" wet belt sander. All have single phase motors. I also have a variety of grinder wheel heads ranging from 20", 24" to 30". All have a lot of life left in them. I also have a big exhaust fan with motor. I'd prefer to sell it all in one lot. I was told by a friend who still runs an active hot-shop that all this stuff should be worth about $4,000, but I'm thinking about $2,500 would take it all away. Pass the word if you know anyone who might be interested. They are all in Colorado, btw...
Jim at 3zero3-9three1-78zero2, or james at jamesclarke dot com.

Pete VanderLaan
03-14-2014, 06:34 AM
While those machines appear rough, they're in fact a really nice deal. Colorado in the 1970's was really the epicenter of ground and polished glass. What is important on them is the condition of the main bearing on the center shaft. It is frequently Babbitt and will last forever if treated well. Some paint and some grease would bring them back. At that time, we all used really heavy wheelheads. I had many that were two inch thick and weighed about 600lbs each. I don't know the remaining stock on Jim's wheels but that would be pretty important to know if you were considering resurfacing them

$2500 would be very fair.