PDA

View Full Version : Free Large Kiln

Guy Kass
05-24-2014, 12:54 PM
Hello all.

We are in the process of moving our studio, and re-defining our business.

In turn, we no longer need our large kiln. In round numbers it will do a 3' x 7' piece (or a zillion little pieces.) It is wired for 408v, but can be ramped down to 220v 3 Ph with a commonly available transformer. (It won't fit in our location, nor do we have 3 phase, otherwise we would keep it.)

It is very easy removal, and located in Northern NJ about 40 minutes west of NYC.

The only issue is that it needs to be out quickly. Otherwise it will be scrapped, which I would hate to see.

If you have a serious interest in it, please don't hesitate to contact me at guy@GlassThatWorks.com

Guy

Doug Sheridan
05-24-2014, 02:49 PM
Hmm..I wonder if that would fit on my new trailer. I could send George on another trip to get it.

Does it break down? If not, what are the dimensions?

Guy Kass
05-24-2014, 03:04 PM
I was figuring that if I had to move it again, I was going to rent/use a landscaping trailer.

The oven part would drop onto the table (and then get strapped on.)

Then you have the two end towers and the beam that goes across to finish the assembly.

The kiln is in NJ, and I'm in PA but I can go back tomorrow and measure it if you are truly interested.

As a ballpark I would say the table is less than, 4'x10'.

Guy

(Also if you need a transformer for it, I do have one, but that isn't free.)

Pete VanderLaan
05-25-2014, 06:04 AM
I can see the signs now "Crazy Doug's Furnace City- Used and recycled". Billboards all the way to Pidgeon Forge on I-81. Use your brand new used straps to tie it down Doug.

Doug Sheridan
05-25-2014, 07:58 AM
I guess I'll have to pass on the kiln, Guy, it's just too big! I'd have to go into wholesale to justify that thing, not going to happen.

But, if anyone wants to deliver any of their free equipment to me, I'll take it. Sale dates pending.

Alexander Adams
05-25-2014, 11:38 AM
Guy,

what's your time frame?
Can it fit out the door of the current location?
Would a forklift have access?
Besides wired for 408 3ph, what size breaker/service disconnect (amps)?
How many elements?

Thanks,
Alex

Guy Kass
05-25-2014, 11:45 AM
Hi Doug- Thanks for asking, guess it wasn't mean to be.

Alex-
Supposedly someone is coming (from South Jersey) to take it tomorrow. I also had one other serious inquiry. If nothing happens, I will get back to you.

Prior to me, it was actually used for casting glass tiles up in MA.

It will roll out our door. We can't get a forklift into the building though because of the low clearance of the doors.

It was pulling 37 amps on 408, we bought a transformer for it and had it on a 220v 100 amp breaker. In the beginning the insurge would kick the breaker, so I got a different switch between the transformer and the breaker and that solved it.

Let's see what happens and I will get back to you.

Thanks,

Guy

Eben Horton
05-25-2014, 05:27 PM
sad story behind this kiln.

Pete VanderLaan
05-25-2014, 07:58 PM
Was it out of Emily's place?

Eben Horton
05-26-2014, 06:58 AM
No, not from Emily's place. I'm glad to see this kiln is still getting good use.
This kiln and a sister kiln were owned by a glass fuser that made great tiles and crown moldings, who fell on tough times and I will leave it at that. Very well made equipment.

Pete VanderLaan
05-26-2014, 03:58 PM
Jose Then...

Eben Horton
05-26-2014, 04:28 PM
Jose Then...

No sir. Did you get my email today?

Pete VanderLaan
05-26-2014, 05:25 PM
I did. Just back from Northampton. That was an icky story

Marty Kremer
05-27-2014, 08:06 AM
This was next door to Clayman's in RI.
Sad story but great setup- they had 3 tables on rails and 2 powered bells with an unpowered "annealer" inbetween to crank out the tiles.
I lusted after the setup but had neither space nor need.

Guy Kass
05-27-2014, 08:23 AM
And the people who said they were going to pick up the kiln actually did so. It is now in someone else's hand in South Jersey.

Guy