PDA

View Full Version : If anyone is looking for a used 300# Stadelman

Guy Kass
07-24-2014, 09:00 AM
Seems expensive, but you never know...

http://swapauction.wisc.edu/Listing/Details/530298/Moly-Furnace-wtransormer-wcontrols-35128

Pete VanderLaan
07-24-2014, 09:45 AM
It cost over 22K new and I do supply them their parts and they really do maintain it. You can't build the control panel and transformer for that.

Mark Rosenbaum
07-24-2014, 09:53 AM
A new crucible and elements and straps will cost you a couple of grand to start. $7000 is a great price to start! If I had the room, I would get it as a spare ;)

Jordan Kube
07-24-2014, 01:29 PM
Looks well loved but those controls are in good condition. An inexpensive way to get into 300 pounds of glass, in my opinion.

David Patchen
07-24-2014, 02:05 PM
Interesting. How much does one of these cost to run a month at what kwh cost?

Pete VanderLaan
07-24-2014, 03:27 PM
I just don't think KWH is a real judge. You have to look at the bottom of the bill and then calculate. I just switched to a lower KWH group but I still have a variety of opaque delivery charges to try to understand. At the end of the month, KWH is 7.5 cents per KWH but you need to be cautious about contracts where you exceed demand rates. I run about $1375.00 on a furnace with three 75 lb pots in it charged twice a week or so. That includes all other shop electric stuff. Or, it holds a 425lb pot .It depends on what I want. The propane gloryhole is about $150.00 per month. Its a 20 inch which is all I need anymore.

I do not really like the three phase systems. We have more issues with them than the single phase ones and I have no real idea why. Univ of Wisconsin has had several of these for years and I think they're downsizing to just one. There were always issues there about who was really in charge at any given time and consistency is important in a shop unless you like getting crazy.

What I truly love about them is the safety factor. I left mine running when I went to China. 1300F

Kenny Pieper
07-24-2014, 04:12 PM
I have one like that and it cost me about $600 a month to run. Thats charging once a week and the electric is about 10 cents kwh here. I love this furnace. I payed about 29 grand after shipping back in 2009. It has more than payed for it's self over the gas furnace I had before. And like Pete said I love the safty issue. I have no problem setting it low and leaving town. I would never do that with a gas furnace. This is the first piece of equipment I have ever purchased. I have always built my own and it took me a while to get over that. I am a happy man now!

Victor Chiarizia
07-24-2014, 05:47 PM
agree with kenny.v

Josh Bernbaum
07-26-2014, 04:07 PM
This is the first piece of equipment I have ever purchased. I have always built my own and it took me a while to get over that.

Ditto here too.

Pete VanderLaan
07-26-2014, 05:20 PM
Mine is five years old now and I'm seriously considering keeping the electrical package but rebuilding the furnace itself entirely to my own design. I would get another front plate from High Temp to do it since I really like the easy removal process for changing the pots out the front.

Cecil McKenzie
07-27-2014, 12:52 PM
Would it be too costly to change to single phase?

Steve Stadelman
07-27-2014, 05:00 PM
Cecil, you are looking at about $3-$5000.00. You could potentially recoup that expenditure by reselling the three phase parts (transformer and SCR) but it would be a gamble and a wait.

Cecil McKenzie
07-27-2014, 09:52 PM
Steve thanks for the reply. I think I can get three phase since I live in the country and it goes right past my house. With my luck it probably costs 3 to 5 thousand to change to 3 phase. Would the number and types of elements be the same or be interchangeable ?

Pete you seem to have some familiarity with this unit. Do you know why they are selling this one? New and better equipment or phasing out program? Maybe back to natural gas?

Pete VanderLaan
07-28-2014, 06:29 AM
They have more than one. I'm not at all sure it's being replaced.

If you don't have the three phase- and I am not fond of the three phase ones then you should have a transformer custom built for the replacement. Offhand, I think that has a 36 or a 48 volt secondary and you aren't going to find that in a scrap yard. Expect it to run between 26-3000 dollars.

David Patchen
07-28-2014, 12:40 PM
Why is three phase disadvantages vs. single?

Steve Stadelman
07-28-2014, 07:24 PM
Three phase units shut down over finicky shit like corrosion on straps and clamps a lot quicker than single phase units will. They are more susceptible to dirty power and voltage fluctuations and problems are harder to diagnose. That said, they have advantages in breaker space and lower amperage loads. Rick Satava bought an entire block with all the houses on it in Chico. When I put in a 600 pounder for him it went on a single phase service. Rick pulled the ENTIRE service from a bungalow to run it.