PDA

View Full Version : Glassblower to run a small studio

Mike McCain
09-22-2014, 02:16 PM
I'm outta here in a month, and as a service to the studio, I'd like to find a replacement before leaving Crystal Traditions- they've been good to me.
Looking for someone who can take charge of the hot shop. Relatively light production, mostly ornaments. A steady flow of commission projects and demonstrations to fill out the year. Plenty of time for independent work
The studio has about a hundred cast iron blowmolds ready to work with, thousands more to refurbish.
40 hour work week, sometimes weekend demos. Salary pay with benefits and vacation. Also comes with a large two bedroom apartment, rent free.
Located in Tiffin Ohio. Halfway between Columbus and Toledo.
Anyone interested can call me with questions.
567-938-7877

Gary Guydosh
10-01-2014, 05:02 PM
What is next on your life plan, where ya going?

Mike McCain
10-01-2014, 05:40 PM
Its not so much a plan as its stumbling backwards through the next front door.
I got spooked when the furnace went down and cast my net. Two days after I did the rebuild Simon Pearce made me a juicy offer to come to the Appalachians, and I'm a sucker for skiing.

Pete VanderLaan
10-02-2014, 09:36 AM
That has a reputation of being a shop that's hard on human bodies. Take care of yourself. I may yet want to come and look at molds if you would give me carol's contact info.

Mike McCain
10-02-2014, 10:23 AM
Why break my streak now?
I seem to have a knack for getting work at shops with bad reputations:)
Usually its a case of hurt feelings getting out into the social network.

The Yagers, who own C.T., have had a vicious reputation in the surrounding area as being slave drivers. I've been here nearly three years and find that simply the exact opposite of the truth. They've bent over backwards for they're businessand their community, and from the day I arrived let me steer the hot shop as I saw fit, albeit with a modest budget. Turns out a former worker, whose work I'd judge as ill conceived and poorly executed, also left in a huff b/c actually having to blow glass eight hours a day was not fair. She told everyone in earshot how horrible the place was. The only horrible thing about being here was the dayglo orange paint she covered the apartment in.I've since painted it back to a more neutral tone.

I appreciate the advice Pete,I too have heard that S.P. can grind you down, but such is the lifeof a cog.
I wanted to be a glassblower when I grew up, and now I gotta grow up and be a glassblower.

So the position at C.T. remains open, if anyone of moderate experience and drive wants an environment where they can get a paycheck to progress and experiments, its a good place for that.
I'm only leaving for more money, more mountains and more backbreaking work.
and OK, to satisfy my wanderlust.

Pete VanderLaan
10-02-2014, 12:40 PM
I have only heard from the folks who worked in Vermont and the story was largely the same that the repetitive stress from the production demands ripped a lot of young glassworkers up badly. I never heard, or would suggest anything beyond that.

I would think that for some young enterprising glassblower who wanted to get a loan to start a glass business might view this as a genuine opportunity to see if they really want to run a shop without the inherent risks of getting a loan to do it.

Just sayin'

Greg Vriethoff
10-03-2014, 01:41 AM
My guess is that any "young, enterprising glassblowers" will go elsewhere to find someone that will tell them what they want to hear.

Kenny Pieper
10-03-2014, 08:05 AM
My guess is that any "young, enterprising glassblowers" will go elsewhere to find someone that will tell them what they want to hear.

What do you mean?

Mike McCain
10-03-2014, 08:51 AM
Kenny, Greg is referring to a thread started by Art Freas called 'industry data' which is in general discussion.

This may be the first hijacked classified ad on Craftweb.

Pete VanderLaan
10-03-2014, 09:41 AM
I view the ad as a remarkable opportunity for a young motivated glassmaker who really wants a shop and doesn't have the resources to build one who is willing to relocate.

Greg Vriethoff
10-03-2014, 11:50 AM
Sorry. I don't always stay in the right sandbox.