PDA

View Full Version : Wanted to buy- essemce footing tool

Eben Horton
11-19-2014, 10:59 PM
Did I spell that right?

I'm looking for one. Tired of burned out wood ones. If you have one you never use, I'd be happy to buy it.

Pete VanderLaan
11-20-2014, 07:10 AM
If you've never used a graphite foot on a tool of that nature, you might come to appreciate just how nice wooden footing tools are comparatively. They give a far better foot and higher luster in my opinion. Wood leaves a beautiful grain on the glass. Shorty Finley made me a graphite one but I usually use the wood. It tends to let you also make the foot thinner and I think that's because the charred wood doesn't draw much heat off of the piece.

Clearly, they wear out so it's good to keep a fresh one always soaking in your bucket. I flip the front piece over when it's out of true.

Eben Horton
11-20-2014, 07:18 AM
Well, you have a point there. I guess I should just make a bunch of wood ones.

Pete VanderLaan
11-20-2014, 08:50 AM
Oh, and the Essemce one is expensive.

Eben Horton
11-20-2014, 09:42 AM
I've been having fun with uranium this week. Because everyone needs radioactive beer and whisky glasses!

Peter Bowles
11-25-2014, 05:20 AM
We used to use them in Denmark, and I have to say I far prefer a wooden footing board. The graphite ones are tricky and demand that both maker and assistant are spot on - there isn't the forgiveness of wooden board.

If you do decide to get one from Essemce, you can order them underhand or overhand depending on your preference. Strangely, I usually go underhand with wooden boards, but found overhand graphite ones easier to use.

We used to keep it on the bench in a smaller tub of hot water with a drop of washing up liquid, which did actually help a little.

Their jacks are great too as a knock about everyday tool, I regularly use a pair of their smallest and largest and love them. Cheap and cheerful.

Mark Rosenbaum
11-25-2014, 11:02 AM
Eben:
Are you still looking for the graphite footing tool?

Eben Horton
11-25-2014, 04:57 PM
Peter, yes I understand this.

Mark,
Yeah... Still looking. You want to part with one?

Mark Rosenbaum
11-25-2014, 05:46 PM
Yes, I have one that I never used.
It is set up opposite the one on the C&R Loo site. It is the FS-4U model.
http://130.94.190.116/Products/Hand_Tools___Supplies/Essemce/essemce.html
So I guess mine is an underwork right-handed one.
Email me and we can talk price...rosetreeglass@ gmail <dot> com

Eben Horton
12-18-2014, 04:36 PM
Thanks to Mark for the awesome footing tool !!

I am ordering new plates for it, but while reading online about this tool, it says that it is "spring loaded to keep the piece on center" can someone with this tool explain this?
Also, what is the purpose of the lever that comes out from the hinge mechanism??

can't wait to use this!

Rich Samuel
12-18-2014, 04:54 PM
I used one of these for years. The spring* doesn't keep your piece centered; it helps to prevent it from going off-center by slightly sliding the large graphite block. This makes more sense when you actually have the tool in hand, but here's a video that may give you some idea. (Jump to 1:25.) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yBM3DyZ65TI

When you say "lever," do you mean the removable hinge pin?

* Be very careful when replacing the sliding graphite block. That spring will want to jump out and disappear, and a cut-down ballpoint pen spring makes a really poor substitute. :eek: I quickly learned to do that procedure with the tool and both hands inside a plastic bag.

Eben Horton
12-18-2014, 08:25 PM
Wow. That glass must be lead crystal. Thanks for the video but that guy uses that tool so fast that it's hard to see what's going on. So the spring slides over the back plate's little rod that comes out of it?

Mitcheal Veenstra
12-18-2014, 10:58 PM
Eben, check CR Loo, they had some of the plates left over for them for sale. They may have what you need locally. Shoot them an email.

On yours, the small graphite plate, does it have a notch cut in the top edge of it for the stem? A new one I've seen recently has a rectangular smaller top plate with no notch in it. An older smaller version of the same tool had the notch. (shrug)

Sky Campbell
12-18-2014, 11:19 PM
I take it your tool doesn't have the graphite in it now? I have made new plates for mine but don't exactly remember off the top of my head. If you need a visual I can always post some pics. I have the tool and personally have a love hate relationship with it. I usually use wood clapboards or have my help paddle the bottom while I use the jacks. It's a beautifully designed tool I just never had the finesse it requires.

I did notice in the video he is using the cardboard tube parchoffi.

Mark Rosenbaum
12-19-2014, 12:24 AM
Thanks to Mark for the awesome footing tool !!

I am ordering new plates for it, but while reading online about this tool, it says that it is "spring loaded to keep the piece on center" can someone with this tool explain this?
Also, what is the purpose of the lever that comes out from the hinge mechanism??

can't wait to use this!

I'm glad that you can put it to good use. I could never figure out how to use it correctly. I know that you can adjust it for thickness also.

The plate did have a notch, but it was beat up from being knocked around in the shop (not from use, from always being at the wrong place i.e. finding the floor) I also noticed that C&RLoo also had the plates listed.

Here's another video that shows a close up of the tool in action
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OFWNsXSOhg0

Rich Samuel
12-19-2014, 04:41 AM
Mark, that's a much better video than the one I posted. Thanks!

Sky, it would be great if you could post some pics. I was going nuts trying to come up with "word pictures."

Eben Horton
12-19-2014, 09:26 AM
Mark, one thing. This footing tool is the size 3. Not a 4. I discovered that when ordering new plates. (A non issue, as I want to make stem wear with it)

Mark Rosenbaum
12-19-2014, 11:20 AM
Mark, one thing. This footing tool is the size 3. Not a 4. I discovered that when ordering new plates. (A non issue, as I want to make stem wear with it)

Oops! I thought that I saw it written on it somewhere....

Pete VanderLaan
12-19-2014, 05:34 PM
You can put a remarkable polish on graphite and it's worth doing before you assemble the tool. I still love my cherry wood one.

Sky Campbell
12-20-2014, 02:49 PM
Rich I've tried posting the pics several times but the site just makes it difficult.

I have several pics on my phone assembled and disassembled. If you can or want to receive these via text just shoot me a text that says pics and I'll send them on. 3five2 5three8 67twotwo.

Rich Samuel
12-20-2014, 07:29 PM
That's OK, Sky. I was trying to help Eben. He might want them.

Sky Campbell
12-20-2014, 08:03 PM
Already sent! Eben pointed out mine may be a slightly different design although I do think they all have the same basic engineering behind them.

Eben Horton
12-20-2014, 08:15 PM
Sky , yours has 2 little rods mounted within the graphite with 2 springs and mine only has one. A small difference.

Mark, you were correct by the way.. My replacement graphite arrived and it wasn't the right size.

Eben Horton
12-23-2014, 08:52 AM
After receiving the replacement plates , I discovered that this footif tool is not a size 3 or a size 4. It's somewhere in between.
So... I am going to have to fabricate my own plates. Not a big deal.

Mark Rosenbaum
12-23-2014, 11:07 AM
After receiving the replacement plates , I discovered that this footif tool is not a size 3 or a size 4. It's somewhere in between.
So... I am going to have to fabricate my own plates. Not a big deal.

Didn't realize that it would be such a PITA.....how can a standard tool not have standard plates????

Eben Horton
12-23-2014, 12:47 PM
That's what I thought. The size 3 has a 2" plate, the size 4 has a plate that's 3 1/4" and the 5 is around 4".

The tool you sold me takes a plate that's around 2.5 inches.
No biggie. It's actually the perfect size for me.