PDA

View Full Version : glassybaby is looking for experienced glassblowers

Jordan Kube
12-10-2014, 04:31 PM
glassybaby is hiring experienced glassblowers for fill in positions.

We most need people who can trim and blow in the mold.

Necessary qualifications: 10+ years production glassblowing experience. Must be able to work in a hierarchy on the floor and take direction from the lead gaffers. This is a fast paced job.

These are on-call fill in positions that could lead to full time shifts.

Benefits: glassybaby has a base pay plus a very generous incentive program. Glassblowers can make from $25-$45 an hour. As a trimmer I averaged $35 an hour over the last year.

We're mostly looking for people in Seattle but if you're thinking of moving here for other reasons it's a nice way to pick up some extra cash.

Please send inquiries to me at: jkube@glassybaby.com

Mike McCain
12-10-2014, 09:56 PM
Dammit, where were you six weeks ago?

That's a sweet bottom line - take home a G every week.

Is that shape still patent pending?

Jon Myers
12-16-2014, 10:48 AM
those have a patent pending on the shape?! Jeeze

And Congrats...

Glenn Randle
12-16-2014, 02:39 PM
Whoops! I made one by mistake!!!

Jordan Kube
12-16-2014, 05:36 PM
I don't know anything about a patent pending shape. I just need glass blowers.

There were a pair of women from Canada trying to do the exact same thing as glassybaby. Down to the story and the giving mission. It was pretty sad.

Glenn Randle
12-16-2014, 06:15 PM
Sounds like great money. Surprised you can't find help. Guess it's like CO where everybody's getting rich in the weed business?

Glassbaby's got a different worker for each job, right? Gathering, overlays, blowing into the mold, puntying, trimming, logo stamping, etc. Looks like a fun place to work. I'd probably get picked on, 'til I got a few tattoos. ;)

Jordan Kube
12-16-2014, 06:23 PM
People come and go and there's no shortage of green glassblowers. It's just nice to have a few more experienced people on. Yes, we have a color dropper serving two teams, each having an overlayer, mold blower, and finisher. 14 people per shift, two shifts.

This was the only link I could find to the knock off glassybabies. http://www.cityanddale.com/city-and-dale/2010/11/30/g-l-a-s-s-f-u-l-hand-blown-glass-votives.html

Looks like they're out of business.

Pete VanderLaan
12-16-2014, 06:33 PM
I find the notion of that shape being a knock off to be hilarious.

Mike McCain
12-16-2014, 06:41 PM
I was just giving Jordan a friendly ribbing over past legal declarations I'd heard about 'round the campfire.
I think companies like Glassbaby are a boon to American glassmaking. Being a cog in a factory style studio is one of the best ways to understand the method of practical glassmaking.
Plus there's usually coffee.
From Galle to Eisch, some of the most influential glass is born from people who cut their teeth in a factory, so we're lucky to have them around. Dante Marioni did it for Glass Eye back in the day, and look at him now.

If I hadn't hitched my wagon to another star I'd make every effort to be a part of Jordans team.

Jordan Kube
12-16-2014, 07:05 PM
It's very rare for stuff like this to be made in the U.S. anymore.

Jon Myers
12-18-2014, 12:16 AM
Yeah I was just ribbin ya. It's great what's going on up there... (You know how I feel about that corporate stuff can't help the shittalking)

Pete VanderLaan
12-18-2014, 08:06 AM
It's very rare for stuff like this to be made in the U.S. anymore.
It's true! Pumpkins have totally pushed candle holders off the production platform. Dodecahedrons are next once the patents are in place.

Jordan Kube
12-18-2014, 01:53 PM
Indeed, Pete!

Pete VanderLaan
12-18-2014, 03:40 PM
The mold is a major bitch though. Doing it off hand wouldn't go well either.

Tom Bloyd
12-18-2014, 04:48 PM
Hey Jordan: When first I first started blowing glass in Lawrence, ks ,I worked for a candle maker that had an amazing front door business. So naturally the first things that I made and sold were votive holders. Learned how to overlay and put way to much time into each one, but they were cool and sold really well. The only complaint I would get was when someone let the flame burn on the side of the cup and it would break. Is this a problem for Glassbaby? They do look pretty thick. Do you guys replace them or is it a non issue? Just curious.

Jordan Kube
12-18-2014, 08:39 PM
Nope, no breaks. They use tea lights and they're nice and wide inside.

Tom Bloyd
12-18-2014, 09:27 PM
That makes sense. Tea lights work great. The votives we used were the hand poured variety.