PDA

View Full Version : Looking for coldworking equipment?

Alex Stisser
12-15-2014, 12:41 PM
I am putting a little cold shop together. I have nothing, I want:

-Belt Sander
-flat grinder(s) diamond preferred, but maybe grit
-lathe grinding wheel(s)

Thanks,
Alex

Pete VanderLaan
12-15-2014, 03:53 PM
Jim Clarke had put his grinding shop up for sale some time back. I don't think he sold it. He's in Colorado. Here's the thread link Alec

http://talk.craftweb.com/showthread.php?t=10117&highlight=grinding+equipment

Terry Crider
12-19-2014, 06:05 PM
I don't know if it's something you might be interested in.
I just listed an older 12" Sommer and Maca "Smoothing" Wheel on e-bay with several Optic Molds and Hand Tools.
As heavy as the wheel is, I think it's some kind of Stone.
If you search under Glass Blowing Tools, it should come up.
Terry

Alex Stisser
12-23-2014, 12:16 PM
Thank you for the replies, not quite what I'm after yet, but I'll be on the prowl if something comes up.

Alex Stisser
04-25-2015, 01:06 PM
I have found a belt sander and flat wheel, but I am still looking for a lathe for simple punty grinding setup.

Anybody out there build there own? I'm not looking to do any fine engraving, I just need to lense out the bottom of certain pieces... I've got a JET buffer that I thought I might try to convert. It is a direct motor drive dual ended shaft.

Pete VanderLaan
04-25-2015, 01:58 PM
You should take a look at the equipment Doug Keller is selling off in Missouri. It's close enough to drive there for you if you're serious. Good cold equipment doesn't come up much anymore. Bad stuff does.

Glenn Randle
04-25-2015, 03:04 PM
If your buffer is like this it should work pretty well.

I built one using a 1" shaft X 36" & pillar bocks. I usually run an expandable drum sander on one end & a felt wheel on the other.

Alex Stisser
04-25-2015, 05:15 PM
I'll check out Doug for sure. I did not see much for cold shop stuff, but I'll try to contact him.
Glenn, that is what I have. The main shaft is 1" with a 5/8" bolt/shaft on the ends. Can I get 4" radius wheels with a 5/8" adapter bushing?
Thanks

Pete VanderLaan
04-25-2015, 05:42 PM
The entire issue with a a lathe is bearings and the class of the threads. Think class one. Grinding out punties is one of those head scratchers for me. I like to simply clear face the base and polish to a pumice 0-3/4. I used to go to cerium but these days it doesn't matter. I put cerium where it has to happen.

Alex Stisser
04-25-2015, 10:17 PM
Pete, I'm a dumb farmer. I try to use every tool beyond it's "rated" capacity. Plus, I'm cheap.

Glenn Randle
04-25-2015, 10:24 PM
I'll check out Doug for sure. I did not see much for cold shop stuff, but I'll try to contact him.
Glenn, that is what I have. The main shaft is 1" with a 5/8" bolt/shaft on the ends. Can I get 4" radius wheels with a 5/8" adapter bushing?
Thanks

The punty wheels I have came with a little stack of bushing, I think. I got the felt wheels from Buffalo Felt, they make the holes whatever size you ask for. I'm pretty sure the expandable drum comes with bushings.

Btw, I just use SiC belts one the drum. They are cheap and last a long time.

Pete VanderLaan
04-26-2015, 08:46 AM
Pete, I'm a dumb farmer. I try to use every tool beyond it's "rated" capacity. Plus, I'm cheap.
Well, what you want in that type machine is no vibration. That comes with great bearings and well crafted threads for the wheels. Glass doesn't do well chattering. Variable speed would be really better as well.

Eben Horton
04-26-2015, 10:56 AM
I met a guy from Iran who was an amazingly talented cold worker.. His lathe skills were some of the best I had ever seen. I kid you not, he built a lathe to use here in the U.S. Out of 2x4's and a good shaft and bearings. It worked pretty good, as he was able to do what he had to do... However, it wasn't 100% vibration free.

Pete VanderLaan
04-26-2015, 12:04 PM
It's simply far more difficult to true a wheel that isn't rock solid.

That's a truism.

Alex Stisser
04-26-2015, 01:31 PM
Hmmmm, baling wire, duct tape, and 2x4's should do the trick. I'll give the buffer a shot until I find a bargain. For the very minimal that I need it for, I think it will suffice. Space is also a factor as well. Thanks for all the input, I'll let you know if I reinvent the grinding wheel... I found a good deal on a 24" wheel with discs as well as a CRL belt sander. I was just about to start fabricating a flat lap until this came up.