PDA

View Full Version : Who Needs Cork Paddles?

David Patchen
12-23-2014, 02:27 AM
I oversold my last batch of cork paddles and only left myself one set. They sold out quickly and since our furnace is down for 3 weeks for maintenance, I thought I'd do another run. I'm going to make them in two sizes this time:

1. Large - at 9" x 12" and almost 1.5 - 1.75" thick these are really for people making big work. $90+$10 shipping = $100

2. Regular - 9" x 6". For people who are making small to medium-sized work. $65+$10 shipping = $75

Both are super-solid and will last for years. (Mine last 3-4 years and I flatten almost everything I make). A better deal than what's available, with better handles, and with corners (sometimes you need corners!).

Please don't pm me--just email david at davidpatchen .com if you want a pair asap.

Glenn Randle
12-23-2014, 03:20 PM
David,

I've always used paper & Elmers glue pads for flattening. I dampen them before blowing and they work well.

Do you need to do anything to the cork before using them?

David Patchen
12-23-2014, 03:58 PM
The only thing I'd do to the corks is burn them in the first time before you use them. Either hold them in front of the glory or hit them with a fluffy torch just to get a layer of carbon on them.

I use mine totally dry, while some people wet or moisten them first. I prefer to use them dry because I run no risk of scarring the glass with a dripping cork and the glass moves a bit more while you rub it. I think ppl who use them wet feel like they won't burn up as fast, but I generally get 3-4 years out of a set, so I'm not concerned about longevity. I move quickly and firmly on the glass with these--that probably also helps them live a long life. The paddles always smoke and sometimes flame if I take too long. They don't seem to mind much.

I'm generally using these to flattening vessels that end up between 24 - 16" tall x 14-10" wide x 4" deep, so medium to larger work. I've seen people use two newspapers (one in each hand) to flatten work as well. I like the corks better because they're flatter, shield your hands better and there's little risk of them slipping out of your hand while you're flattening.

There's more info on this earlier thread: http://talk.craftweb.com/showthread.php?t=10222&highlight=cork+paddles

Maybe some of the guys who bought them earlier can chime in about how they like them (or not!) ;)

David Patchen
04-01-2015, 10:38 PM
I still have some cork paddles left for sale:

1. Large - at 9" x 12" and almost 1.5 - 1.75" thick these are really for people making big work. $90+$15 shipping = $105
2. Regular - 9" x 6". For people who are making small to medium-sized work. $65+$15 shipping = $80
Both are super-solid and will last for years. (Mine last 3-4 years and I flatten almost everything I make). A better deal than what's available, with lightweight ply backing, better handles, and with corners (sometimes you need corners!). Send me a message if you'd like a pair.

Photo of large ones in the first post, the new small ones are here.

Some ppl here have bought these--they can vouch...

Pete VanderLaan
04-02-2015, 06:57 AM
mine arrived yesterday David. Thanks!

Josh Bernbaum
04-02-2015, 07:17 AM
Thanks David, mine arrived yesterday as well

David Patchen
06-17-2015, 04:42 PM
Bump---still have some of these available in both sizes.

Pete VanderLaan
06-17-2015, 06:18 PM
Promo here.

I have mine and I really like them. Nice Work!

David Patchen
06-25-2015, 11:27 PM
Thanks! I had similar feedback from someone who actually used to manufacture my competitors' cork paddles.

I still have a dozen of these available in both sizes.

I also have the Jim Moore color paddle available. And if you want to send me $5k for the Dino tweezers I'll have them fedexed the minute the check clears :)

Glenn Randle
06-26-2015, 08:49 AM
David,

Do you have any video of cork paddles in use?