PDA

View Full Version : Want to buy: Flat Lap 18" - 24"

Eric Covington
12-30-2014, 10:46 PM
I am also interested in some diamond laps, resin(diamond) disks and cerium pads in good condition.

Prefer in Canada but will consider US located as well

Pete VanderLaan
01-01-2015, 04:55 PM
Using resin impregnated disks are not going to be something you may really want unless you absolutely are convinced you know what you're getting. Plated hold a diamond a lot better and I would really have reservations about used cerium disks. China is actually turning into an excellent resource for such things with very good quality and pricing for brand new stuff.

Eric Covington
01-02-2015, 10:53 AM
Thanks Pete for the comments. I do believe that my 15 years of experience as a hard rock carver (mostly jade) give me enough experience to know what I want.

In jade carving my sequence is usually rough, 50, 120, 325, 600, 1200, 3000, 6000 then if I am lazy and don't fear the dreaded "orange peel" effect I use tin or cerium oxide.

Glass is a very soft material and so I usually get away with 50, 120, 325, 600, cerium oxide.

With that sequence the facet edges are quite rounded (not gem quality) but entirely satisfactory for my purposes. This is especially true since my glass forming skills are not so good and the finished "hot" surface has slight variances.

Such is life