PDA

View Full Version : iso glass rings

Rosanna Gusler
09-06-2015, 09:39 AM
hi there. i need some clear glass rings made. these will be bowl rests/stands. about 4" diameter or a mix of 4"-3" size. i imagine they could be made by drooling some glass onto a marver or some such. they do not have to be perfect just round ish and the glass be about a 1/2 - 3/4 inches thick(tall) clear as mud? i made some by melting some bottle slices in the kiln and they work but something a little beefier would be better. pm me if you want to do this please. i would want about 20. rosanna

Allan Gott
09-07-2015, 09:16 AM
Tack fusing your melted bottle rings together might provide the required height Rosanne and keep the fabrication in-house. It's two steps but not so bad if you do a bunch at a time.

Did you try to tack fuse your bottle slices?

Rosanna Gusler
09-07-2015, 10:34 AM
yes i have tried all sorts of lay ups and schedules but just can not get the fat ring that i want. i got the idea from looking at glass outrigger rings on the boats. http://www.hopkins-carter.com/seastglouri.htmli ...................tried machining out of lucite, casting with resin, thought of vitriograph tyoe set up but it just seems like going around my elbow to .... well you know. and if it is as easy as i think it would be with the proper equipment (a hot shop), then i think they would be a good product to sell to other fusers . ............................this facebook group has almost 11 thousand members and most of them are of the "where can i buy that" mentality. https://www.facebook.com/groups/fusedglassfanatics/ ............. anyhow if someone wants to take a shot at this i would love to talk. r.

Sky Campbell
09-07-2015, 12:41 PM
I'm a little lost.i don't understand how these will be used.

These rings can be made of any clear glass regardless of Coe? 3" to 4" in diameter 1/2" to 3/4" thick.
How critical is the tolerance? Does the ring need to be seemless or is a small irregularity at the weld acceptable?
What are you thinking the price point would be?

I made many glass rings for a project years ago. I may be interested.

Barb Sanderson
09-07-2015, 12:48 PM
I'm surprised someone doesn't make ring molds that you could fuse in your kiln Rosanna. But I presume you've already done all that research. :(
To make them out of hot glass I think the easiest way would be to make a ring mold and drop glass into it but you may not get a regular thickness all the way around the ring. If you dropped glass on a marver you won't be able to get it 3/4" tall and the ring wouldn't be perfectly round without some kind of mold. And then as Sky mentions...there's the "weld" area where the end of the glass is cut and then attached to the front part which could have blobs and maybe shards there too. Just thinking out loud from a hot glass perspective for you....
Barb

Rosanna Gusler
09-07-2015, 12:57 PM
these are just a stabeliser/stand for vessels with no flat spot. i have made these out of wood and also slumped bottle rings. i do not want to cast/coldwork...... no they do not have to be perfect, just round and shiney on top.as to price? give me a price on 20 pcs with shipping crammed into a flat rate box and i can either afford it or not. i know how much work it is to make wood ones (alot) and those are not right for transparent stiff. i do not know if this will work out but no harm in asking. r. ps pm me if you want

Glenn Randle
09-07-2015, 01:31 PM
It sounds like you just need slices of 4" clear plastic pipe, like PVC, but clear.

Little rubber feet would be simple, but I'm sure you've already tried that.

Rosanna Gusler
09-07-2015, 04:27 PM
i do not like plastic and i would either have to cold work it or torch it to polish. i want it to be glass. i am sure somebody will at least be curious enough to drool out a couple and get me a price. i really have thought this through over the last year or so. thanks, r.

Cecil McKenzie
09-07-2015, 11:06 PM
Watch glass India and do what they do . https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ngWVuJCHkPc this is a new Glass India but it covers similar themes.

Of course you are not going to do this.

A few weeks ago i tried to make some rings of glass by drapeing a cane around a stainless steel pipe about 3 inches in diameter. I was successful in getting a ring but not in getting one with the same diameter throughout. I tried about 4 times by myself.. My inspiration was from memories of the Dutch film Glass where the artisans wrap a cane or tube around an armature to get a large ring. That film may be available on line.

Another possibility would be to take a cane with the length of the circumference of the ring you desire and place it in a fusing oven next to a pipe of the diameter you need. When the glass is soft enough to move use a tool to move it around the mold.

Just a few rambling thoughts.

Rick Wilton
09-08-2015, 11:15 AM
Rosanna,

I'd make them by drilling two different sized circles with a core drill creating a donut like piece out of 10 - 19 mm float glass (preferably Low-iron (starphire) then fire polish that in the kiln. Fairly quick and easy in my estimation.

John Riepma
09-08-2015, 12:57 PM
Sent you a PM.

Rich Samuel
09-08-2015, 02:08 PM
Probably a long shot, but a friend finds pieces he uses for bases (and other bits) here all the time:

http://www.surplusshed.com/pages/category/glassblanks_1.html

Rosanna Gusler
09-08-2015, 02:14 PM
thanks for that link.and what a cool vidio. r.

Cecil McKenzie
09-09-2015, 09:33 AM
You may have seen this film already but if not and if you have a spare ten minutes it is a pleasant interlude. At about 2.45 or so into the film they show making a ring from a soft cane. If this technique was used and the ring was held until cold enough to anneal without touching the ends could be trimmed off and the ring could be slumped just a little with the two ends lining up.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KAYh0f1CPuc

Another possibility would be to put say a 3.5 inch pipe inside a 4 inch pipe fill the space in between with enough glass to make the size ring you need. Good luck with your project.

Nanda Soderberg
09-09-2015, 07:52 PM
Hi Rosanna, what a good post. It's fascinating hearing about what it is that you want and all the ideas people have. I think that taking a pipe and cutting it is the best idea that was thrown out there so far. I understand that you do not want plastic, and we're all glass blowers here. One could blow a 4" diameter cylinder and cut it into 3/4" rings (or any specified height) on a diamond saw or by hot popping. These rings would be even walled in thickness and have a significant weight so that they are not too fragile. They then could be heated and fire polished in a glory hole or ground and polished. they could be clear or any color. I could make these for you.

Eben Horton
09-13-2015, 07:31 PM
I'd locate some of those glass rings that tuba fishermen use to run lines through on their out riggers. They are perfect round glass rings.

Rich Samuel
09-13-2015, 07:51 PM
Who knew? :D

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/736x/f4/cf/ec/f4cfec85888942ed9b9c9b5e4a557070.jpg

Pete VanderLaan
09-14-2015, 05:21 PM
I'd locate some of those glass rings that tuba fishermen use to run lines through on their out riggers. They are perfect round glass rings.
Tuba rings.... b flat. Spellcheck strikes again.

Eben Horton
09-14-2015, 08:10 PM
Damn !!!!!

Mark Rosenbaum
09-15-2015, 12:31 PM
Tuba rings.... b flat. Spellcheck strikes again.

spellcheck would not work for that because tuba is spelled correctly ;)

Lawrence Duckworth
09-15-2015, 12:33 PM
I used a solid metal 2” sphere welded to a 3/4” round rod, then smoosshed it into a gob of glass dropped onto a hotplate. maybe you could try something like this using a puck shaped piece from King Architectural… http://steel.kingmetals.com/search?w=solid%20steel%20sphere

Pete VanderLaan
09-15-2015, 03:16 PM
spellcheck would not work for that because tuba is spelled correctly ;)
Bingo! That's my point. I'm easily amused at this developmental stage.

Eben Horton
09-15-2015, 09:27 PM
Bingo! That's my point. I'm easily amused at this developmental stage.

Keep in mind that 90% of my posts here are made from my iPhone. Tiney little keyboard. Typos will happen :)

Greg Vriethoff
09-16-2015, 07:15 AM
Tiney tubas too.