PDA

View Full Version : Very Nice Used Tools For Sale

David Patchen
04-11-2016, 03:07 PM
I bought an entire set of tools from someone who refused to part them out and don’t need the following tools. They are very, very gently used--almost new condition. No rust or perceivable metal wear at all.

I'm selling them for 25% off the price of new (including tax+shipping).

Cutting Edge - Dante Diamond Shears (small handle version) - $180
Cutting Edge – Medium Black Jack - $273
Jim Moore - Cup Jack - $197
Didymium Glasses - $65

Add shipping of $13 for anywhere in the ConUS.

The diamond shears and Black Jacks have the previous owner's name (not mine) very lightly written in the metal. You can barely feel it with a fingernail, so it will come off pretty easily. I was easily able to buff it off the strap of the cup jacks, but didn't want to affect the patina on the black jacks or take the time to take apart the diamonds.

I'll give this a few days, then I'll put them on eBay.

David Patchen
04-11-2016, 03:09 PM
Here are the diamonds and some additional images of the jacks.

If you want them, please *don't* PM me. Rather, shoot me a message through my website here and I'll email you back: http://davidpatchen.com/contact

(I don't want to increase the amount of spam I get by posting my email address)

David Patchen
04-11-2016, 03:42 PM
More pics of blades without wax. Happy to take the black burned wax off but some people are freaked out about having to re-build that layer.

Eben Horton
04-11-2016, 06:23 PM
I'm requesting dibs on the Dante diamonds and the cupjacks

David Patchen
04-11-2016, 07:09 PM
The cup jacks are sweet. I was thinking of keeping them but I already have a pair. But these are nicer and so shiny....

The diamonds are in perfect shape but remember they have the small handles. Great for small handed people...I don't think that's you :)

Pete VanderLaan
04-11-2016, 08:59 PM
He's a tool junky David....

Eben Horton
04-11-2016, 09:23 PM
I came to my senses. So if anyone is interested, contact David. I already have 8 pairs of jacks

David Patchen
04-11-2016, 10:33 PM
Eight pair!? I need to get going--I only have six (not including parcioffis, then I have 9) :) Maybe I'll keep the cup jacks.

Pete VanderLaan
04-11-2016, 11:33 PM
First you start with the recreational cup jacks, it's fun you say, victimless. Then it winds up with you in a junior college and a pair of 450mm Carlo Donas. You're done. In less than a year, it's Steinert parrot shears... Just tragic. You turn to Teflon.

Eben Horton
04-12-2016, 07:34 AM
Counting parchofis, I'm over 10

I would call myself a collector of tool makers. Ivan smith, Dino, Dona, Moore and Lindsay. :)

Scott Novota
04-13-2016, 11:02 AM
Honestly I would like the black jack just because I have never had a set but really who am I kidding. I live in Florida and with the amount of air I pull though the shop it is a loosing battle to keep anything nice. I have to sand and clean my marver every day and my jacks look like someone stored them in salt water.

Yes I am bitter about it.

David Patchen
04-13-2016, 11:39 AM
That would make me crazy. Lucky for you, these are all sold :).

Mark Rosenbaum
04-13-2016, 01:35 PM
Honestly I would like the black jack just because I have never had a set but really who am I kidding. I live in Florida and with the amount of air I pull though the shop it is a loosing battle to keep anything nice. I have to sand and clean my marver every day and my jacks look like someone stored them in salt water.

Yes I am bitter about it.

Stainless steel is your friend....I also have two mild steel marvers that are made from steel from a shipyard. They only need cleaning if we don't use them for a week....are you waxing your marver at all?

Sky Campbell
04-13-2016, 05:53 PM
I can empathize the florida weather woes. First I have to say I wouldn't trade for anywhere and I have been all over this great country. The opportunity here for my family and my business just couldn't be beat.

That said stainless marvers have no tooth unless your talking 305 and under (which still rusts). Wax just makes a slippery mess IMO. My answer is keep the wire cup wheel on the angle grinder it only takes a min. Keep the marver covered at night. Light weight oil when it's not being used for anything over a week.

Tools get hung by the furnace with care in hopes that damn moisture won't be there. A new set of jacks without a nice layer of rust on the handle would feel like a rented car in my hands. So I accept the things I can't change and just enjoy the ride.

On a side note I was told stainless can't be used for jacks as it will leave a red ring wherever it touches. Interesting phenomenon I haven't experienced although I'm pretty sure my Toesing round jacks are stainless they never really scratch the glass.

Mark Rosenbaum
04-13-2016, 07:06 PM
That said stainless marvers have no tooth unless your talking 305 and under (which still rusts). Wax just makes a slippery mess IMO. My answer is keep the wire cup wheel on the angle grinder it only takes a min. Keep the marver covered at night. Light weight oil when it's not being used for anything over a week.

I use a very, very, very small amount of paste wax on a large surface and it keeps the rust off and is not slippery. I'm not sure of the stainless grade, I got that from the shipyard too, and it doesn't rust and the glass rolls great on it....I have never covered my marvers. I think that New Orleans qualifies as one of the highest humidity regions in the country....To each, his peach....

Eben Horton
04-13-2016, 09:40 PM
Butchers wax is your friend. I'm about 5 miles from the Atlantic

Mark Rosenbaum
04-13-2016, 09:45 PM
Butchers wax is your friend. I'm about 5 miles from the Atlantic

That's the stuff!!!!

Scott Novota
04-14-2016, 06:29 PM
What is this wizardy!

Eben Horton
04-14-2016, 07:00 PM
Ok scott. Take a wire wheel to your tools. Get them super clean with the wire wheel. Then if you're real OCD, give them a wipe down with acetone. From there use some butchers wax, which is a paste wax and give your tools a good run down with it. Then buff them somewhat clean with a clean rag. Then take a gather and clean the wax off of tweezers and straight shears.

You can also store your tools in a tightly sealed box that has silica gel packets in there and your tools will never rust. I'm too lazy to do that but I know someone who does and it works.

Butchers wax can be found at any hardware store.

Mark Rosenbaum
04-14-2016, 07:48 PM
What is this wizardy!

Why don't you listen to me Grasshopper??? ;)