PDA

View Full Version : extra Spruce Pine 87 w/erbium

Tom Bloyd
08-16-2016, 01:13 PM
I have an extra ton of Spruce Pine 87 W/Erbium. If your in the Kansas City area and need some let me know.

Gary Guydosh
08-16-2016, 01:53 PM
OK I have to ask. How does one end up with an extra ton of SP?

Pete VanderLaan
08-16-2016, 02:36 PM
you just stop weighing yourself every day Gary. It's easy to let it slip. Then, BANG! Reality sets in during your annual checkup. Those big pants just don't fit anymore.

Tom Bloyd
08-16-2016, 02:43 PM
Ordered big during the big glass scare.

Gary Guydosh
08-16-2016, 03:31 PM
Pete - I live that one every day. I thought you got the my shortage on the last shipment I got from them.

Pete VanderLaan
08-16-2016, 05:41 PM
Aging, in reality is just such a disgusting experience.

Mark Twain was right . We should be born with the body of an 80 year old and be allowed to work backwards.

Rich Samuel
08-16-2016, 07:28 PM
We should at least get our second set, or another set, of teeth when we need them, Tooth Fairy be damned. ;)

Pete VanderLaan
08-17-2016, 07:14 AM
The panic buying following the Spectrum announcement has been remarkable. I regularly run into small shops that bought 10-12 tons of cullet, all paid in advance. The glut continues but it is diminishing. We are now selling Cristalica to schools at a fair clip as the fall semester approaches.

Cecil McKenzie
08-17-2016, 10:53 PM
Batch or cullet?

Pete VanderLaan
08-18-2016, 06:54 AM
we're selling cullet. The batch plant was the last time I checked, twelve weeks behind. That may have improved. I haven't asked. When I did the initial tests on Cristalica, I have to admit I was impressed that it took one hour to completely fill the pot. I'm not used to that kind of instant gratification.

If the EPA really follows through on the inspection letters with shops melting more than 1000 lbs per week, which is what was getting cranked up following GAS, then I would expect a lot of schools using batch now to simply switch over to the cullet.

Olympic apparently keeps telling people that they have it covered but won't say how. I don't understand that. If I had a plan I would say what it was to reassure customers. Certainly no new orders are getting taken. I know what it takes to build furnaces on that scale and I know the EPA hasn't settled on regulations which would not be a happy environment to build tooling in. I view going to China for it as a profound risk and there really isn't anything else coming out of Europe that isn't fairly green and cordy. Maybe Wissmach will do cullet, I don't know. It's really the only other option I can envision.