PDA

View Full Version : Looking for hot glassblowers

Reggie LeMay
10-19-2016, 08:03 PM
American Fine Art is currently looking for full-time, salaried glassblowers with advanced to upper level skills, preferred 5 plus years’ experience. You need to be able to work publicly in studio and take direction from the team. We will pay airfare and accommodation during the contracted period (November thru March or segments of those months). Glassblowers can make from $5,000 to $10,000 per month. Needs to have a trustworthy, professional and great personality, you must work well with others. Needs to be adaptable to public demonstrations and production work, big and small, blown and sculpted works of art.

Our studio is located in the heart of the Old Town Arts District, in beautiful Scottsdale, Arizona. We have the only live glass studio in the gallery district. We have a 12,000 sq. foot showroom attached to the onsite hot shop & studio. Onlookers and collectors from around the world come to our gallery to watch and see you in action. We are looking for a glassblower who can create in a style all their own and can work independently with a creative passion.

Needs to be steadfast, on time, and network well with the gallery staff and the general public, but also be a team leader.

Please send me an e-mail and resume with your portfolio: afa@tobiasse.com

Barb Sanderson
10-20-2016, 11:47 AM
And they have to be "hot"?????

Reggie LeMay
10-20-2016, 03:17 PM
Yes, we are looking for hot glassblowers.

Thank You.

Gary Guydosh
10-20-2016, 05:02 PM
I guess that is not me. A middle-age fat guy not hot at all. It does sound like a nice place to work.

Barb Sanderson
10-20-2016, 05:33 PM
Yes, we are looking for hot glassblowers.

I somehow don't think Reggie gets my question....but Gary does!

Barb

Pete VanderLaan
10-20-2016, 07:18 PM
Now Barb.... nothing worse looking than a 60 year old with a wax job.

Greg Vriethoff
10-21-2016, 01:12 AM
That settles it. Gonna start growing-out the comb over tomorrow!

Pete VanderLaan
10-21-2016, 08:18 AM
Look at the haircuts on baseball players these days! Shaved up way beyond their ears. If they had male pattern baldness it would really be gross.

Tom Fuhrman
10-21-2016, 09:57 AM
Reggie: get in touch with some of then people that have been doing the gigs on the cruise ships. They are excellent workers and have the experience doing exactly what you want. I've seen them in action several times and they are good at blowing and with audience participation. And they are used to working a short several months contract.

Pete VanderLaan
10-21-2016, 11:00 AM
And they mix well with bluehairs

Daniel Sviland
10-21-2016, 05:14 PM
(Now Barb.... nothing worse looking than a 60 year old with a wax job.)
Unless that 60 year old is a Corvette!

D

Gary Guydosh
11-09-2016, 11:20 AM
Well I guess it is true. I am not a hot glassblower, but did not even get a thank you for applying note. I guess I will just go eat worms, and no one will mind.

Hugh Jenkins
11-12-2016, 08:13 PM
I will thank you for responding and taking the gaff. Saved a lot of others the temptation. Worms, yum! Needed a little chuckle today.

Mike McCain
11-25-2016, 04:06 AM
I took this gig. Maybe I have a hole in my head. Let you all know how it turns out.

I regularly am told I look like Kevin Spacey. Dunno if that's hot or not.

Rich Samuel
11-25-2016, 01:48 PM
Congrats, Mike. Rest assured, if you're blowing glass in Scottsdale, you're automatically "hot." :D

Greg Vriethoff
11-25-2016, 05:27 PM
Yeah, but...4979

Pete VanderLaan
11-25-2016, 06:29 PM
Once upon a time it was a dry heat but with irrigation of vegetables and golf courses. It's seriously humid there now in summer. Valley fever is really dug in.

Greg Vriethoff
11-26-2016, 12:52 AM
...irrigation of vegetables and golf courses. It's seriously humid there now in summer.

Yeah, I have a friend/colleague that is based out of Phoenix that has told me the same thing.

Pete VanderLaan
11-26-2016, 07:35 AM
Now, they have these tiny mist emitters at public places to cool the air. It actually just makes the humidity worse in the long run. Arizona is just profoundly contemptuous of how it burns through water. I can still remember how the river that runs through Tucson was on the surface. It's been underground for many decades now. The Salt River project is hopelessly inadequate to serve the water needs and the Colorado was over allocated back in 1903 and has never run that much in a year since. At one time I loved that desert and collected and tagged for migration projects for the San Diego Zoo. I would be out in the jeep for weeks at a time. I can't stand being there now.

Read "The Cadillac Desert" Mark Reiser.

Mike McCain
11-26-2016, 11:16 AM
In Tucson, the buffalo grass has been overtaking the Sonoran landscape for decades. Parts of Rita ranch that used to be cactus heaven are looking more like African savannah, complete with killer bees. I remember when Mount Lemon caught fire. I mean the Whole Mountain was on fire! Thanks to the buffalo grass which had invaded the area. It breeds by burning easily and supplanting faster than any of the local flora.
Rick Hornsby's Fire Ranch studio had a great bay window looking right out at the mountain. Blowing there while Mount Lemon burned is one of my most surreal studio memories.
All I get to look at out here in Scottsdale are the beautiful ladies walking by the shop.