PDA

View Full Version : Want to buy pipes and punties for cheap.

Max Epstein
01-04-2017, 07:02 PM
Hello all,

Finally got my hot shop operational and inspected. The full kit and kaboodle. But I'm broke. Broke as hell. And still need pipes and punites.

I got one crooked pipe and one crooked puntie. Got bunch of old metal you don't use anymore? But still plenty functional?

Help a guy out!

Pete VanderLaan
01-04-2017, 07:27 PM
I have tooling I no longer will use. Call me. I may be driving to florida to sell comic books.

David Patchen
01-04-2017, 07:56 PM
I was planning on replacing my set of six 3/4" punties with all new ones so if you need this size and you have a few bucks we should talk. Mine are custom made stainless with stop collars and hose grips made to my specs with CNCed solid stainless heads, TIGed seams and blind welds where heads insert. Totally straight with good heads. I've had them for 6 years but in light rotation. They should have 1.5 - 4 years left on them depending on how much and how nicely you use them (daily production/quenching vs. weekend warrior). Welds show some wear (they're detectable) and the possibility of one failing and taking down a piece is costly enough for me to get a new set early. I'd sell them for $50 each--a third the cost of new. Contact me through my website if you want them.

If you only need smaller ones, go buy 1/2" straight stainless stock and cut them yourself. Be sure to pick the straight rods.

Max Epstein
01-05-2017, 07:34 PM
Thanks, ya'll. I'll give you a call tomorrow, Pete.

Pete VanderLaan
01-06-2017, 08:45 AM
Mine are not pretty. They have been beaten on but if you're making simple low end things, they do the job. I retired them for a reason.

Scott Novota
01-06-2017, 09:53 AM
David,

His set up is a really compact. I believe it to only push 40lbs maybe 80lbs tops I can't quite remember. 3/4 would be well past where he is working size wise.

Max,

If you need punts give me a call I am going to be making some new ones for myself in the near future from Bell Steel here in town. You can piggy back on my purchase for what you want. I no longer sleeve them with hose because it gets in my way but that is just personal choice.

Bring your curvy pipe and punty over and I will show you how to straighten them out with a couple rollers and a 2x4.

Max Epstein
01-07-2017, 03:20 PM
Yeah, 3/4" is a bit big for me right now. But thanks, David.

I'll give you a call early in the week, Scott. Thanks!

Pete VanderLaan
01-07-2017, 03:43 PM
I don't have anything smaller than a 3/4 punty with no step down that I'm not keeping. Any pipes, and they are well worn have a 1.25 head.

Brice Turnbull
01-07-2017, 04:39 PM
Go see Scott. Nothing in the studio is simpler to make than an all purpose 1/2" punty. Once you see it done, you'll probably slap your forehead.