PDA

View Full Version : Henry Halem's Glass Notes

Terry Crider
03-31-2017, 03:27 PM
I've got Henry's 3rd & 4th editions on e-bay ---# 182509397853 and
# 182509412482.
The 4th edition is signed and has a "whimsical" sketch along with the signature.
Opening bid: $10.00 --- Have fun if you are interested.
Terry

David Blankenstyn
04-08-2017, 05:23 PM
I would like a copy. What would you want for one? I could paypal funds.

Terry Crider
04-09-2017, 08:07 AM
The E-Bay auction ends tonight --- I said in the auction, I wouldn't ship
outside of the USA --- but if you want to pay the extra shipping, go ahead
and bid.

Pete VanderLaan
04-09-2017, 10:20 AM
Henry would have been a happy camper if he had gotten this kind of price for the book when it was new. I liked the one which includes the dust cover.
The price on the 3rd edition at 14 dollars is a good deal. The 3rd is quite different than the 4th and it's well worth owning both. The book on the color red by AE Williams is not really anything that I would call an eye opener.

David Blankenstyn
04-09-2017, 03:51 PM
I guess its cheaper then the nearly $500 price I saw on amazon. Well its my fault for waiting this long to get the book.

If anyone wants to sell a 4th edition at a reasonable price please email me at David@okotokshotglass.com

Pete VanderLaan
04-09-2017, 05:24 PM
Strip it all away, the book is a bible for building a shop. I could not recommend getting both editions 3+4 more . If you think it's hard to get now, just wait. Weyl used to be printed by the brits, and they stopped. I sold my soft copy years and have a hard cover copy of Coloured Glasses.

Weyl is actually hard to understand unless you melt a lot and like reading late at night after a lot of failures, Try to appreciate that Volf, first in print in about 1982 is not attainable except as a reprint from Igneous Glass in Utah, and thank you Joe for printing it. If you don't have Helmer, you're a fool.

You want to think this stuff will always be out there, easy to get. That's bad thinking. You think it's easy to get. Mistake. You think craftweb and it's stuff is easy to get at. Ask my doctor. Seize the time as Huey said . You don't know what you've got 'til it's gone. That was Joni Mitchell.

Rich Samuel
04-09-2017, 05:57 PM
I must live in an alternate universe. I just now picked up the 3rd. Edition for $18 and change (shipping included) on eBay, and the money went to charity!

David Blankenstyn
04-09-2017, 09:44 PM
I won the bid for the fourth edition. Whoever was in that bidding war with me I bested you good!!

I am super pleased and relieved

thanks Craftweb glassy folks!

David Blankenstyn
04-09-2017, 09:47 PM
I must live in an alternate universe. I just now picked up the 3rd. Edition for $18 and change (shipping included) on eBay, and the money went to charity!

I want the 3rd edition too. do you have a link for you 18 buck one? I dont see it

Rich Samuel
04-09-2017, 10:06 PM
It was a single listing; probably donated to the charity with other books. Here's one that comes out about the same:

http://www.ebay (DOT) com/itm/Glass-Notes-A-reference-for-the-glass-artist-Henry-Halem-1996-/292078198485?hash=item4401379ed5:g:qm0AAOSwB-1Y5goh

Also, ARTCO may have some left at $30. http://www.artcoinc (DOT) com/halem.php

Pete VanderLaan
04-10-2017, 01:23 PM
Interestingly, the first three listings for this are about $116, $225,$267 all from different sources yet they all have the same review. It concludes that hot glass is dangerous stuff.
I think I have one copy of the 3rd which Henry sent me to source some numbers back when I was writing the batch section for the 4th. There are some pages which did not cut and would have to be cut by whoever owned it, which I would just as soon not be me. So, that's a long winded way of saying I'd sell it, probably reasonably.

The third has some info which was cut from the 4th to make room for gasbags like me. The formulas for making your own silver salts in one that comes to mind. It also has errors which were removed in the 4th. The worst in my mind was the conflation of expansion factors for making your own glass. The colorants have never had E&T values . Appen indeed has accounted for some factors but that's not included. The 4th ed removed the conflation and banished the enamelling factors to the netherworld.

Rich Samuel
04-10-2017, 01:46 PM
Here's a screen cap of the ad I mentioned above:

Pete VanderLaan
04-10-2017, 02:55 PM
I wouldn't bother getting out of bed to mail it for five bucks.

Rich Samuel
04-10-2017, 03:00 PM
That's five British pounds sterling. Closer to four bucks. :D

Pete VanderLaan
04-10-2017, 04:35 PM
Four, the covers are still on my head.

Actually, I'd mail it for 20 dollars plus the postage. Think! fingerprints from both Henry and me!

Rich Samuel
04-11-2017, 12:09 PM
Correction: I got that 3rd. Edition on Amazon, not eBay. Oops.

Andrew Boatman
04-12-2017, 01:22 PM
ArtCo (http://artcoinc.com/) still has copies of the third edition in stock.

Rich Samuel
04-14-2017, 04:47 PM
Book just arrived. It had a $30 retail price sticker on it. I wonder if they bought a copy, discovered it was about hot glass, tried selling it, and donated it to charity when it sat around too long.

Pete VanderLaan
04-14-2017, 05:06 PM
I think it's worth keeping in mind that there are a lot of copies of these books. They will continue to show up. There's nothing in there that can't be had by a visit to the Rakow or a call to a friend.

Rich Samuel
04-14-2017, 07:19 PM
I've long believed that everything that can be scanned will eventually wind up online, and probably at little or no charge. It wouldn't surprise me if all the hot glass informational books are already out there for illegal downloading. I'm still a hard copy guy, though, and will always prefer reading, and making notes in, books.