PDA

View Full Version : tinting pot of glass with powders

Shawn Watt
09-25-2017, 01:44 PM
Has anyone every tried mixing in a kilo of glass powder in batch and melting it down? Would there be any issues with doing something like that? Just a curiosity.

Pete VanderLaan
09-25-2017, 05:47 PM
well, how about enormous cost up front compared to getting crap as a return?
It really is not like RIT dyes. The formulas are actually really important. You really cannot mix and match based on color. The base formulation is really important to match as both color and homogeneity. It's a rare formula that actually simply dilutes.

Kenny Pieper
09-26-2017, 06:48 AM
I know that Michael Schunke us to do this alot not for dark colors but for light tints. I think he used frit.

Pete VanderLaan
09-26-2017, 09:14 AM
I have a lot of trouble imagining how that would work well. The formulations bases are so different. I can certainly see rolling it in frit but melting it in without cording is something I have a good deal of trouble with. Saturation oxides might work to at least turn it blue or green but why not just add the basic chemicals to the cullet if that's what you're doing. Frit is really expensive.

Eben Horton
09-26-2017, 09:47 AM
I know that Michael Schunke us to do this alot not for dark colors but for light tints. I think he used frit.

He always is making beautiful colored goblets and I have always wondered... now I know. Thanks !

Jordan Kube
09-26-2017, 11:07 AM
You're asking for a lot of seeds if you use powder.

Shawn Watt
09-26-2017, 12:48 PM
Thanks for the replies. I was asked the question the other day and it just had me thinking about it. most of those transparent blues and greens are easy enough to make from scratch and cheaper as Pete said. They are also made with that lead base glass, that is what I was unsure about is how that would mix in. Schunke had a goblet and color mixing class a couple years back at corning. It looked like from the pictures I saw he was using metals for the colors in the glass. But you never know what people do in there private studio. Do you think the red yellow and ambers would mostly just burn out?

Josh Bernbaum
09-27-2017, 09:37 AM
Schunke mixes oxides in SP batch and sometimes their color base as far as I know from what little I've spoken with him about. It's limiting, but one can still do quite a bit of nice colors that way. I have. And that is all that Corning studio does for their color melts. I thought I heard here at some point that just tossing some cobalt frit into a furnace could get you a dilute blue but I also would be skeptical about how uniform the results would be. And again, cobalt is relatively so easy, just buy some oxide and mix it with whatever batch or cullet. Iron or copper too probably. Have fun and experiment. Some things will work and some won't. There's no way around the trial and error part of making your own colors, for better or worse.

Shawn Watt
09-27-2017, 06:39 PM
Thanks for the replies everyone. Someone had asked me if it could be done, so it was more of a curiosity than it was a plan. Thanks