PDA

View Full Version : College glass programs

Greg Frankhouser
01-21-2004, 10:41 PM
Is there any comprehensive listing of BFA and MFA programs? The list on the GAS site is defintely NOT comprehensive, doesn't even include the BIG boys. Or does this thread need to turn into the list?

Greg

Rich Samuel
01-21-2004, 11:25 PM
Greg, I'm not sure this list (http://www.steinertindustries.com/map.htm) is any better than GAS's, but you could give it a try.

Greg Frankhouser
01-23-2004, 04:45 PM
Thanks Rich, It did give me one more. I think I'll have to start one. These are all my memory can hold, folks please add more. Maybe Pete can add the list to the schools area when we're done.

Kent State, BFA MFA
Ohio State BFA MFA
Mass Arts ? MFA
Risd ? MFA
Washington U St Louis, BFA sort of
SIU Edwardsville BFA
SIU Carbondale BFA MFA
Alfred BFA MFA
Virginia Commonwealth BFA MFA
RIT BFA MFA
Cal Arts BFA MFA
U Wisc Madison BFA MFA
Tulane BFA MFA
Cleveland Institute of Art BFA
Bowling Green BFA MFA

AA, from Cali

AA In art offered at
Santa Ana College, Santa Ana CA
Palomar College, San Marcos
Santa Monica College, Santa Monica, CA

Chadron State College (Chadron, NE) BA in 3D with glass emphasis (this sounds like the one you listed as a "sort of", but it's where I started in 1991

Hastings College (Hastings, NE) BFA I think

U.N.K. (Kearney, NE) last I knew had BFA, but rumors it's recently phased out or will be soon

Kansas;

Emporia State University (Emporia, KS) BFA ONLY

Carmegie mellon, USED TO have a glass prgram.

Detroit; CCA C : Great People , great place. But still only a BFA.

This whole inter-discplinary art thing is really adding to my search. Some schools won't even tell you what they offer, until you've hit 5-6 pages.

Please don't be offended if I forgot, never knew yours.

Greg

Jim Vormelker
01-23-2004, 06:05 PM
Add Calif St Univ @ Fullerton. (BFA, MFA)

AA In art offered at
Santa Ana College, Santa Ana CA
Palomar College, San Marcos
Santa Monica College, Santa Monica, CA

Being governmentally operated schools in California, check before you come to see if classes are being held again this week....

Jim V

Brice Turnbull
01-23-2004, 09:51 PM
In Nebraska there's;

Chadron State College (Chadron, NE) BA in 3D with glass emphasis (this sounds like the one you listed as a "sort of", but it's where I started in 1991

Hastings College (Hastings, NE) BFA I think

U.N.K. (Kearney, NE) last I knew had BFA, but rumors it's recently phased out or will be soon

Kansas;

Emporia State University (Emporia, KS) BFA

Jeff Wright
01-23-2004, 11:25 PM
In Detroit, Michigan:

The Center for Creative Studies offers BFA in Crafts specializing in Glass.

Center for Creative Studies (http://www.ccscad.edu)

Greg Frankhouser
01-24-2004, 12:15 AM
Thank you for your replies. I have added you to the list.

Greg

Michael Mortara
01-24-2004, 01:37 AM
University of Hawaii at Manoa, BFA, MFA

Jon Myers
01-24-2004, 06:21 AM
here's a link you might like
http://www.contempglass.org/links/linkschools.html

Ken Mollenauer
01-26-2004, 02:17 PM
San Jose State U also has a glass program.

Jeff Lindsay
01-27-2004, 12:40 AM
Add Calif St Univ @ Chico

Andrew Brott
12-11-2004, 04:46 AM
I came out of The University of Wisconsin River Falls with a BS. This is one of the oldest glass colleges in the U.S. (started by Doug Johnson in the mid 60's) and has no MFA program. If your an undergrad this is a great atvantage..... the shop is all yours. If you are able to get in state residency status (Wis. or Min.), it is also one of the cheapest. It made me what I am today.
Andrew Brott
www.brottworks.com
http://www.uwrf.edu/art/Events/Newsletter/MOSAIC.html

Ruben Romero
01-03-2005, 11:28 PM
Temple-Tyler school of Art BFA & MFA
Harrisburg Area Community College Classes but no Degree.....YET!

Liam Bowers
09-03-2005, 09:41 PM
I am vaguely aware of the NYU Fine Arts department being in the beginning stages of creating a glass major in association with Urban Glass. There are at least two NYU students working at Urban right now for credit.

William M. Boland
10-27-2005, 02:43 PM
Hello,

I'm new...a business guy thinking to establish a new school in Corning, NY. We're thinking of an Associates degree, as we have an excellent community college.

When you list these various schools, are you listing those that offer specifically glass oriented degrees?

Thx.

bill

Pete VanderLaan
10-27-2005, 04:28 PM
This list is a mix William. I can see a lot of junior college programs on the list. If you go to degree programs for BA or MFA it will get considerably smaller.

William M. Boland
10-27-2005, 04:35 PM
Thanks Pete.

After I posted, I found a great list linked to here. Your help is appreciated.

katiemoe
01-23-2006, 02:33 PM
bump

Alexander Adams
06-27-2010, 01:45 PM
Jon Clark has retired (2009) from Tyler School of Art/Temple University. If someone were to consider applying to the glass program (BFA or MFA) at this school, they should research the background of the new head of the glass department. I don't see how anyone could invest money and time at this school until the Dept. Head is changed to one that has a stronger connection to glass. (i.e. glass community, glass education and history of working with the material)

Mark Rosenbaum
06-27-2010, 02:05 PM
Jon Clark has retired (2009) from Tyler School of Art/Temple University. If someone were to consider applying to the glass program (BFA or MFA) at this school, they should research the background of the new head of the glass department. I don't see how anyone could invest money and time at this school until the Dept. Head is changed to one that has a stronger connection to glass. (i.e. glass community, glass education and history of working with the material)

It looks like the dept head has an MFA in glass from Tyler and has been working in glass for twenty years

"He has been working with glass for over twenty years. In 2005 he received a fellowship from the Creative Glass Center of America. He has grants for his artwork from several sources, including the Pennsylvania Council on the Arts in 2009 and the Contemporary Glass of Philadelphia in 2005 and 2002. His work has been exhibited at M.A.D. in New York City, the Renwick Gallery in Washington D.C., SOFA Chicago, SOFA New York, and other venues. He is represented by the Snyderman Gallery in Philadelphia."

Am I reading this wrong?

Alexander Adams
06-27-2010, 02:35 PM
Daniel Cutrone is not a tenured professor. He is a "presidential appointment" and has been an adjunct and presidential appointement at Tyler since receiving his MFA from Tyler. He did manage the dept in 2003 while Jon was on sabbatical 2003.

Indeed it is interesting how the university prominently displays Dan's picture and credentials on the website but does not list the tenured Associate Professor's crendentials.

Sharyn O'mara is the tenured Associate Professor and head of the Glass Dept. When you find out what her educational background is, please list it here. It will take the heat off of me.

Andrew Brott
06-27-2010, 02:58 PM
Mark we should keep their oil off our boots- we have enough...
Hope all is well!!! Feel free to stop our new digs Uptown- just call 1st.
Best,
Andy
www.brottworks.com

Pete VanderLaan
06-27-2010, 03:02 PM
head of the Glass Dept. When you find out what her educational background is, please list it here. It will take the heat off of me.

This one is remarkably self inflicted Alex, but I also agree with you. After the retirement of the original old school renaissance core group that had the helm from 1967 until about 1993, it has just gotten weirder and weirder. It's no surprise that people have to buy $30K furnaces. They sure as hell can't learn where their tools came from in the process of getting their MFA's in Glass anymore.

Oh, I forgot. University appointments as dept heads are usually fairly political. I'm betting you didn't know that.

Alexander Adams
06-27-2010, 03:47 PM
The new area head IS tenured in glass. The current "presidential appointment" is NOT the area head. The politics behind what has happend are shallow.

Temple didn't want to spend money to do a national search for a new Dept. Head. They blew their money on a new building, a new facility and equipment so they slid in a ringer.

The new dept. head was tenured in the Crafts Dept before Jon retired. She was tenured in the Crafts Dept. because that was the only dept. with a tenure vacancy and the school needed a tenure position for the new position of "Head of Foundations". One lawsuit (tenure committee procedures**), 1 semester off for "research", 2 lateral appointments and presto......someone with a graphic design background is running the show.

** records of the lawsuit are public record and can be obtained at the Montgomery County Court House in Norristown, PA or through the court's website.

Pete VanderLaan
06-27-2010, 04:51 PM
Well, I hope your foot is feeling warm and mushy now that you've stuck it in a little further. Try wiggling your toes.

Alexander Adams
06-27-2010, 06:21 PM
I'm just trying to educate the consumer. Unlike food, clothes or bedding, a university doesn't have to list their ingredients, but they should. Because unlike a $5 jar of peanutbutter, a degree is considerably more expensive.

An MFA is nothing more than an investment to teach at the university level and possibly a chance to get a booster shot of "critical thinking". If the program is good, a grad student can get experience teaching. With the trend to populate schools with cheap adjunct instructors, teaching experience is rare.

What kind of precident is set when a MFA Degree in 2D Art and very little training allows one to become tenured in a 3D material practice? The investment of obtaining/earning an MFA in Glass in order to teach is a poor one. Furthermore, if the head of the program isn't connected to the glass world, academic, studio or art worlds, a student's network pool is severely handicapped.

As an alum, I am deeply disappointed in the administration at Tyler School of Art/Temple University's decision to place an unqualified person in charge of the glass program. At this point, the dept is coasting on shiny new equipment and a good reputation built by Jon Clark. Luckily, I got out before the walls caved in.

Andrew Brott
06-27-2010, 07:37 PM
Alexander,
best of luck to you- life is what you make of it...
And if it not for an oil spill I never would have re-opened (or cared) for a 5+ year old topic...
As an unqualified outsider (www.brottworks.com)to your world, I politely ask for you to get off the tenure track pace of life and unchain yourself from politics.
Please go here: http://www.healthygulf.org/
and take all your passion towards a better end.
We need your help
Best and thanks,
Andy Brott

Alexander Adams
06-27-2010, 09:43 PM
1. This thread is "College Glass Programs" and has nothing to do with oil.
2. You are not the head of a Glass Program at a University and this being so, I never stated that you were unqualified.
3. Andrew, you are part of the glass world, nor is it mine to posses. I never claimed otherwise.
4. If you don't like the discourse, don't read it or respond to it.

Mark Rosenbaum
06-27-2010, 11:55 PM
It seems that she has a piece in the Corning Museum collection, and she was in the New Glass Review twice, so she must have some knowledge of the material...it also seems that you (Alex) were her TA at Tyler. Her CV is easily found on-line. So I'm going to ask the question (which I might regret) were you passed over for the job? I ask this not maliciously, but out of curiosity. I have a BFA from Tyler and I can't see Jon walking away from his program and leaving it in the shambles that you write about. There is a back-story here that I am not privy to.....

Andrew Brott
06-28-2010, 07:51 AM
The joys of Academics... Alex if you own anything, I hope you have a PLUP in place- and thank you for reaffirming my decision not to pursue an MFA. Years ago, I had thought this lack of a terminal degree would hurt my career . I was wrong, it would have suffered if i had chosen that path- as I burned out on teaching, and got a great education in the private sector. Thankfully my world does not care what of degree you have, it's your work that counts.
That said, I know craft without theory, is just is just an object and my work depends on research and or science of design. I greatly respect Jon Clark, Mark, Peter V. etc... and hope you will lear to see beyond petty politics.

The oil of academics does not mix with the water of the free market, but you can make very good salad dressing with vinegar and oil.
It's just too bad I can't enjoy it on Grand Isle Louisiana anytime soon.
In loving memory of Steve Stormer,
AB
www.brottworks.com

Pete VanderLaan
06-28-2010, 08:49 AM
and hope you will lear to see beyond petty politics.

www.brottworks.com
There's gotta be a typo in here somewhere.... It's either "leer" or "learn". I think I prefer the first.

Don't get out of hand guys.

Todd Nelson
06-30-2010, 10:17 AM
Uhh....Anoka Ramsey County Community College...AA not to stop the rant or highjack the thread.

Sy Dowling
09-19-2012, 07:40 PM
I'm in ga and I know Georgia Southwestern (also called Americus? :I think that's how you spell it:) has both a bfa and an mfa program. I have been told they have a very open studio as well and believe its a sculpture degree with an emphasis in glass because I know there's only one professor for 3d work. I attended Tennessee technical university which oversees the Appalachian center for crafts under Curtis Brock. I know they have a bfa program and I believe an mfa program as well but I'm not 100% sure on that. Great program though and I learned a tremendous amount the one semester I went. I got a job after that and they pay me to break stuff so it was a wee bit cheaper that way :P. app center is outside cookeville Tennessee and southwestern is in Americus Georgia I suppose....maybe that helps?

Rob Williams
09-20-2012, 11:19 PM
Ball State in Muncie, IN also has a BA and MFA in glass.
It is a new studio and pretty nice. Dante was there on Monday doing a lecture and demo. He broke the peice when it got too cold. It was good seeing that it happens to all of us, even on his level.

Alexander Adams
09-21-2012, 10:51 AM
Brent Cole, the professor at BSU, is a smart guy. I would expect BSU's program to grow and do very well.

Jeff Mentuck
11-01-2012, 02:19 PM
We've got a glass program at Salem State University. Three undergrad classes and one night class each semester. Great studio equipped by HUB. Reasonable coldworking and lampworking stations. The program is seven years old but the University has made a pretty notable commitment by hiring a fulltime studio manager. We'll be offering rental slots to the qualified between semesters. Put us on the list of Up and comers and check us out if your in town for GAS next year!

Jeff
jmentuck@salemstate.edu

Pete VanderLaan
11-01-2012, 02:36 PM
You burn witches there for fuel right?

Jeff Mentuck
11-01-2012, 02:53 PM
Burn them? They run this town! We love those crazy heathens!

That being said, I am glad October is behind us.

Pete VanderLaan
11-01-2012, 03:36 PM
Four more days. Go Liz?

Andrew Brott
11-02-2012, 02:30 AM
Brent Cole, the professor at BSU, is a smart guy. I would expect BSU's program to grow and do very well.
Brent, his wife Stacey, Eddie Bernard, Adam Ridge, Ryan Blythe, Myself, and so many others all had a wing ding doodle of a good time together (@ least I did...) at the New Orleans School of Glassworks in the mid 90's (can't remember if he was on staff with Jim Mongrain, John Christe, Kate Rhroads, + others), but I do know he has a ton of experience + them smarts...
Most importantly for BSU, he is a grounded and gifted teacher- they will grow and thrive.
Best,
Andy Brott
p.s. Besides he was born on the same day, in the same year (12-18-68), as Me, so he must be be cool;-)....

Mike Hatch
02-19-2013, 09:27 AM
You burn witches there for fuel right?

thanks Pete for starting my day with a laugh