PDA

View Full Version : pete, how much is your black?

Victor Chiarizia
08-05-2009, 08:27 AM
can't find your invoice you sent. trying to cost out work. what will i pay for black? i'll guesstamate the shipping. thanks, vic

Pete VanderLaan
08-05-2009, 08:42 AM
I didn't send an invoice. It was a trade for the pipe yolk.

It costs $68.00 per KG and a bit more for frit. Did it work?

Victor Chiarizia
08-06-2009, 06:36 AM
pulled cane yesterday and will make some pieces today. figured that every pull of ~ 50 feet cost ~ $5.50. get no more that 2 pieces per pull i think. same with sil opal.........about $4 per piece of that color. glassblowing is not cheap when you can trash $10 plus in color every time you screw up :confused: vic

Pete VanderLaan
08-06-2009, 10:14 AM
When I last bought Lithium, it was $3.50 lb. Now it's $16.50. Lead was .90 cents per lb. Now it's $4.75. It's true up and down the chemical scale. I am not gouging anybody. The black has nineteen pounds of oxides in a basic 100 lb mix. That's a lot of metallic oxide. I think it's why it's so damn black.

Now, tell me, do you sell your work by the kilogram? Inquiring minds want to know?

R. Scott Johnson
08-08-2009, 11:52 AM
is this a lead glass or soda lime? are there any health problems using any of the lead based colors, like kuglar or gaffer?

Pete VanderLaan
08-08-2009, 12:20 PM
Don't eat them. Never go swimming with more than forty of them strapped around your waist. It is a 14 percent lead .

R. Scott Johnson
08-10-2009, 10:54 AM
yours is also lead? is it safe for dringing glasses?

Pete VanderLaan
08-10-2009, 11:14 AM
It would not be safe for drinking glasses if it is closer than 1/4 inch from the lip as an inside gather according to the decorative industry watchdoggers. As a trailing, it would meet the safe criteria.. This is true of any leaded color rod, which almost all are. I only use lead in colors that absolutely won't work without it. Those are my black, cobalt luster, and gold rubies, which I don't sell anyway. My silver opal group is all soda lime.

I further think that using this black in drinking glasses is an utter waste of the material which I have said previously.

Victor Chiarizia
08-10-2009, 11:23 AM
ok....so my newest work sells for $68.24 a kilo. turning into a very popular piece. and i'll make a little profit on them:rolleyes: vic

oh............the black holds up better than gaffer in the pulls and finished piece. the sil opals blush to a nice blue hues and greens. nice job pete.

Pete VanderLaan
08-10-2009, 05:45 PM
ok....so my newest work sells for $68.24 a kilo. turning into a very popular piece. and i'll make a little profit on them:rolleyes: vic

oh............the black holds up better than gaffer in the pulls and finished piece. the sil opals blush to a nice blue hues and greens. nice job pete.
Thanks Vic. That means a lot coming from you. I really take pride in my work.
It's good that you are getting .24 cents more for your finish piece than for the raw material. Good profit margin. I think there's even room for growth.