PDA

View Full Version : Hidden door Hinge

Franklin Sankar
04-19-2011, 01:06 PM
Any idea how this door is hinged?
Franklin

Thomas Chapman
04-19-2011, 02:01 PM
It looks to me, Franklin, that the handy welder runs a strap-type hinge, from the back/bottom of (door) lid to the steel casement ring-piece. It is hidden from view in this shot.
A heat handle (likely scrounged from old welder's chipping hammer) lifts the lid with a cool hand, Luke, and it is counter-weighted with a cable and pulley system, leading to a (hidden) weight.

Drew Jaeger
04-19-2011, 03:09 PM
I thought I read somewhere on this site that there was no hinge. It just sits up on edge when opened all the way. I looked all over their site and could not see any detail pics on the back side of the lid.

http://www.parkerglassfurnace.com/

Thomas Chapman
04-19-2011, 04:07 PM
That's quite possible as well. And it's far away enough from the hole that stones should not fall in.

Larry Cazes
04-19-2011, 04:22 PM
Based on one of the pictures where you can see 360 around the lid there is no strapped hinge. I would want mine to be hinged.

Franklin Sankar
04-20-2011, 07:34 AM
No hinge. That is amazing.
Franklin

Marty Kremer
04-21-2011, 09:44 PM
Looks like it would be easy to run a tube hinge across the top.

Mark Wilson
04-22-2011, 07:20 AM
$15,000 for that!!!!!!! they have got to be kidding!!!!

Franklin Sankar
04-22-2011, 07:42 PM
That is why there is no hinge.
Franklin

David Patchen
04-22-2011, 11:46 PM
For 15k someone should open and close the thing for you.

Eric Miller
04-24-2011, 12:10 PM
mind=blown.

I looked to see what the "hard casting" material was, expecting to find some high alumina castable refractory.

It is actually cast from the hand-harvested tears of 1,000 virgin unicorns.

Eric Miller
04-24-2011, 12:13 PM
For 15k someone should open and close the thing for you.

for 15K it should be a glory hole. An "open for business" 24/7/365 glory hole with no usage cap.

Franklin Sankar
04-24-2011, 01:17 PM
So how do you use the unicorns? I think it comes with an unlimited glass supply that last for the lifetime of the door.
Franklin

Josh Gillispie
07-22-2015, 02:50 PM
Another angle. Looks like they made a jig for it.

Franklin Sankar
07-23-2015, 06:13 PM
So is the hinge a pin in a hole on the side of the yoke.?
Franklin

Marty Kremer
07-23-2015, 10:07 PM
Franklin- If you look closely you can see a small circle on the frame- I'll bet that they got tired of just getting close enough to covering the opening and put a rod through the whole assembly for a hinge.

Pete VanderLaan
07-24-2015, 07:45 AM
If you look even closer, the imprint on the door suggests that it's made of some nice soft stuff like white board, or possible fiber treated with a colloidal wash of either alumina or silica. It also looks like something contacted the surface of the door from inside the 'lil 'lectric thing.

I don't know what this speaks to more, that there's a sucker born every minute, or that uneducated people get what they deserve. I do love the claims made by wire kiln builders and they pretty much all do it. "Diamonds big as horse turds." I'm building a little color melter right now that takes 2 40 lb pots or 1 75lb pot. Side fired gas unit well built using good Christian values ( wait... that's my sweetie!) . Sorry well built side fired gas unit that will cost me about $1400 bucks to build and should last a long time. I view that as kind of expensive but the burner parts have gone up. $15K? Really? I think the long term education vision failed that got started in '62.

Franklin Sankar
07-25-2015, 05:36 AM
Thank God for you all watching over the board. It's a cruel world out there.
Franklin

Pete VanderLaan
07-25-2015, 06:15 PM
Well, I think in any art school, or apprenticeship the first thing that should b required as a skill is to learn to weld. Given the heavy infrastructure in glass, it should not be an optional skill. Then, buy a welder and the world is your oyster.

My crackerbox from miller cost 75 dollars used and it lasted me almost 40 years. I went through two sets of cables. It still works just fine but I have a much better welder now. Even better? skip the Miller and get an oxy acetylene unit.

Tom Fuhrman
07-25-2015, 08:40 PM
Well, I think in any art school, or apprenticeship the first thing that should b required as a skill is to learn to weld. Given the heavy infrastructure in glass, it should not be an optional skill. Then, buy a welder and the world is your oyster.

My crackerbox from miller cost 75 dollars used and it lasted me almost 40 years. I went through two sets of cables. It still works just fine but I have a much better welder now. Even better? skip the Miller and get an oxy acetylene unit.

Dudley said the same thing 25 years ago. Go Learn to weld. It's an element that is necessary

Franklin Sankar
07-26-2015, 06:15 AM
I have to ask. Why oxy acetylene welding and not miller?
Franklin

Pete VanderLaan
07-26-2015, 07:29 AM
I would like to have both but if you can't, you still need to be able to cut steel with reasonable accuracy. Oxy acetylene does do both, which, while I recognize you can cut steel with a crackerbox, it's not pretty.

These days, the copper in the crackerbox is worth more than the value as a welder. With the oxy acetylene, I can move fish in garbage cans a great distance.

Greg Vriethoff
07-26-2015, 01:34 PM
I had shop classes in Jr. High (now "Middle School). The first type of welding we learned was oxy-acetylene. We weren't even allowed to touch the stick welder until we took the next class level. Running a clean bead with a torch is tricky, and you never get used to the popping.

I only have one of those cheapo Harbor Freight flux core wire feeders right now. Oxy-acetylene rig is on the "to get" list. TIG is my preferred method, but it's not worth it to go cheap on a rig. Need to save my allowance up for a nice Miller.

Steve Stadelman
07-26-2015, 02:29 PM
If you actually learn oxy-acetylene welding, not fiddle with, learn; then TIG welding comes naturally. TIG opens up all the possibilities in the world.

Victor Chiarizia
07-27-2015, 10:21 AM
i get wood every time i fire up my tig. all 350 amps worth