PDA

View Full Version : How do you make this cane?

Josh Bernbaum
12-06-2011, 07:28 PM
I cut this out from a photo I scanned from the book:
"Circa 50s Glass from Europe and America"

I like this cane design, can't figure out how it was made.
It's not just regular 'Ballotini'.

Josh Bernbaum
12-06-2011, 07:30 PM
Sorry the photo is kinda crappy quality.

Allison Fonda
12-06-2011, 08:45 PM
is it twisty cane that was stuffed in a black cup and then coldworked in half?

Josh Bernbaum
12-06-2011, 10:26 PM
Disregard what looks 'black' in the photo. This cane is just clear and white, photographed in front of dark background I suppose.

David Patchen
12-06-2011, 11:09 PM
I made some this style of cane last week. It's like regular ballotini but instead of just a single row of cane in the center, you have a + sign of cane in the center. How to make it is hard to write out, easier to demonstrate. I'll try--this will make sense if you've ever made ballotini cane.

You need to start w/an odd number of cane. For a simple example, assume 7 cane. At the same time as your assistant is heating the 7 cane have two sets of 3 cane on the same plate. The 7 will fuse together and be sqeezed and both sets of 3 will fuse together and be squeezed but all are separated by feretti so they don't stick together.

Like this:

F|||||||F ||| F ||| F

Pick up the 7 cane on a circular post like you would normally for ballotini. After you pick up, brush off and flash (and your assistant flashes the cane again). Right after they come out, grab a set of the 3 cane (fused together) off the plate with your tweezers and tack them on the post perpendicular at the middle of the 7 cane. Quickly lean it in to fuse to the center cane. Do the same with the other set of three on the other side. What you're making is a plus sign out of the cane. Both sets of 3 need to be tacky hot so they stick to the 7. When you look at your finished pickup from above it should look like a plus sign.

Then, like regular ballotini, have your assistant take 3-4 gathers and drop it over your cane. Fix it up on the marver, then marver and heat until you drive any bubbles back towards the punty. Post up and pull as you would any twisty cane. It's a bit trickier than regular ballotini.

Reading this it seems hard to follow but if you've made ballotini before it should make sense. Attached is a close up of the cane I'm describing so you know I'm not blowing smoke :). I used 10 cane across and my cane has finer lines of color than the photo you posted.

Cecil McKenzie
12-06-2011, 11:12 PM
Looks like a core is pulled that has an x made of canes running lengthwise through the core that is twisted and pulled. How they made the core is a mystery. In the book " The Art of the Paperweight " by LH Selman he has pictures of the Lottons making cane with a device that holds cane in a line this line is then pushed into a cylinder mold of very hot glass. After twisting and pulling the cane alternated from a wide band to a very narrow line. Sometimes canes are picked up on the ouside of this core maybe five canes on each side with clear spaces as well. this results in a more complex look with a double spiral around the twist on the inside. At first I thought that this was made like that but now I think it might just be a variation on the first idea where the lines of cane cross in the middle. Just guessing. I have a cool diagram of how some of this stuff is done . I will try to copy it and post it.

Travis Frink
12-07-2011, 07:24 AM
Ooo! Nice Dave!

The howto seems spot-on. I might like to try something like that for fun one day when I feel freer than now and the need to do something diff and fun. two-color cane might look nice too.

Lots of bubbes in the original pic. Hard to Push glass up in there without bubbles? I might think about dropping 4 smaller gobs in the v-channels of the cross as an alternative to doing it all at once but then you gotta get the amounts right or its gonna be wobbly.

Josh Bernbaum
12-07-2011, 07:57 AM
Thanks David, got it.

Franklin Sankar
12-07-2011, 08:12 AM
yes yes yes another mystery in the bag.
Thanks Santa
Franklin

Franklin Sankar
12-12-2011, 01:56 PM
QUOTE...I have a cool diagram of how some of this stuff is done . I will try to copy it and post it.

Reminder
Franklin

Mike Firth
12-12-2011, 07:52 PM
Right after they come out, grab a set of the 3 cane (fused together) off the plate with your tweezers and tack them on the post perpendicular at the middle of the 7 cane. Quickly lean it in to fuse to the center cane. Do the same with the other set of three on the other side. What you're making is a plus sign out of the cane. Both sets of 3 need to be tacky hot so they stick to the 7. When you look at your finished pickup from above it should look like a plus sign.
I see in the picture what the 10 cane is doing (didn't you say an odd number) but what is the 3 doing?

David Patchen
12-12-2011, 08:05 PM
You're putting 3 on either side of your original pickup of 7. So viewed from above, you end up with a + sign. One cane in the middle, and three on four sides of it. (So hard to explain!). But basically from above, it looks like this:

The 0000000 is your original pickup, and the three on either sides are the ones you tack on. I'm making some of this cane tomorrow afternoon and I'll try to shoot some photos while I'm making it.

David Patchen
12-12-2011, 08:10 PM
Grr. That image didn't work (the board sw took all my spaces out). So ignore it. Here's a screenshot of what it should look like from above. One row is the cane you picked up first (the 7) and you tack on three on either side of the middle cane to construct the + sign.

Cecil McKenzie
12-13-2011, 12:15 AM
Franklin... I tried to scan and post the diagrams that I mentioned but couldn't figure out how to do it. The book is an oversized book and hard to position in the copier and we had to copy part of it upside down then we couldn't figure out how to turn the upside down image right side up and then post it to the web site. I thought I had another source in a book that had masters working at Pilchuck but when I looked it up it just has the names connected with what the cane looks like but doesn't show the cross section of the cane and where individual canes need to be to get the desired effect. I will work on this again when I have time. It may work better to just take a picture of the pages. They are nice diagrams with the cane being matched with the cross section needed. I can't believe this is not on the internet somewhere already. I looked but had no luck finding something like this.

The book is "Das Glas und die Jahrtausende" by J.R. Vavra . So if someone is more computer savvy than I am they can post these diagrams.

Josh. In the book I mentioned by Larry Selman " The Art of the Paperweight" it shows the Lottons with a device that holds a line of cane on the end of a rod or pipe and it looks like the have a cylinder of metal that has just been filled with very hot glass. The device with the cane is used to plunge the line of canes into the cylinder of hot glass. This seems like it would possibly lead to fewer bubbles being trapped in the formation of the gob to be pulled. The mass would have to be pulled out quickly so it doesn't stick to the metal.

Cecil McKenzie
12-13-2011, 12:30 AM
Looked to see if this was on google books didn't see it there but noticed a copy had sold at auction for $180.00 and that Amazon had a copy for $35 and Better World Books had a copy for about $12 with free shipping.
http://www.betterworldbooks.com/das-glas-und-die-jahrtausende-id-BWB12579127.aspx

The book is in German but has lots of cool pictures of glass, old furnaces and glassblowers.

Steve Stadelman
12-13-2011, 01:42 PM
I have one of David Patchen's pieces. If he is volounteering info on how to pull cane you should pay attention :)

David Patchen
12-14-2011, 12:34 AM
Hi Steve! :)

Made this stuff today. See attached setup before dumping four gathers on it to encase. I hosed it up a bit if you're really observant but it won't really affect the final cane.

David Patchen
12-14-2011, 12:36 AM
...and here's a cup made from this cane. Shot while my asst. is making a punty.

Josh Bernbaum
12-14-2011, 07:55 AM
Awesome...

Franklin Sankar
12-14-2011, 08:40 AM
Thanks Cecil. Hope someone will publish the english ver soon.
David that is not as easy as it looks. Can it be done by someone without help. What is the diameter of it?
Franklin

Thomas Chapman
12-14-2011, 10:34 AM
Double Awesome!

Lawrence Duckworth
12-14-2011, 02:35 PM
Double Awesome!

I made a little birdy today :)

.....no color

David Patchen
12-14-2011, 02:43 PM
Cane diameter was probably between 1/4 - 3/8ths of an inch, a good size for cups. I pulled around 20' of it.

Thomas Chapman
12-14-2011, 03:15 PM
I made a little birdy today :)

.....no color

Very dude, Cool. Congrats on getting that beauty up to temperature!

Robert Gary Parkes
12-14-2011, 06:39 PM
just make your own cane...

Greg Vriethoff
07-14-2012, 02:40 PM
This looks like it might be fun to play around with:

http://virtualglass.org/

Ray Laubs
07-14-2012, 06:39 PM
nice work. If I get off of my duff Ill post some I pulled.

David Patchen
07-15-2012, 05:07 PM
Virtualglass is fun. Tried to go back to read release notes and direct a friend there and the domain is blocked now :(

Ted Trower
07-15-2012, 08:29 PM
And now it's open again....

Franklin Sankar
07-16-2012, 09:20 PM
How do you use the program. Its not doing anything. select color, select pattern and????nothing happens.
Franklin

Greg Vriethoff
07-16-2012, 11:07 PM
You may be experiencing hardware limitations Franklin. If you read the part under "Status" is says you need a certain graphics card.

I haven't tried downloading it and using it myself for that very reason.

They are also requesting feedback from users, so I'm sure they'd be happy to address any issues you're having.

Franklin Sankar
07-17-2012, 06:40 AM
Thanks Greg. That is a Nice tool you discovered.
Franklin