PDA

View Full Version : peeling glass

Franklin Sankar
01-01-2012, 07:57 AM
When encasing pieces with S8 pucks they recommend that you peel the glass to remove something (i am not sure what they remove).
I am using the Glory hole to melt some chunks of FHC, but I cant peel it. However, it looks good after I wash it and heat it in the GH, but, after encasement It is a little bit blemished.
So if I cant peel the chunks but it looks good where does the crap come from. Wont the GH heat burn out any scum I cant see that is on the surface?
Why Do they peel the pucks when it look so good?
Franklin

Ted Trower
01-02-2012, 12:14 PM
I was told that the surface scratches on the pucks could be the source of blemishes in the encasement and that peeling the pucks eliminates this problem. I've been doing it with the Spectrum 96 slugs that I cast out of the furnace in Toledo. I do know it removes any devitrification I create while reheating the slug in the torch.

Tom Fuhrman
01-02-2012, 03:58 PM
don't always question everything Franklin, just take somethings as tried and proven and just do it. It works and that's all that's important most of the time. you'll never fully understand why everything in glass works and sometimes it doesn't. That's the intrigue.
It may be tricky doing it properly in your glory hole as most use a large torch and just heat up the end where they are "peeling". There can be things going on the surface of that glass that you may not see but it's there and come back to haunt you when magnified with the encasement.
If all else fails ask your buddy Paul. He's been doing a lot of it a long time and has most of the answers.

Franklin Sankar
01-02-2012, 05:26 PM
Thanks for the replies. I agree Tom, but you are one step ahead of me. I forgot to mention that I was using the GH not a torch like you said so I wanted to transfer the antics used for the torch. Yes I was using the GH only no furnace.
Ted when I heat up my home made puck or the chunks of FHC, I dont see any crap in the glass but when it comes out of the annealer , it has strange marks.
So I cant use FHC chunks. I peeled the chunks after it melted and blocked but that was not smart.
Franklin