PDA

View Full Version : Oil Burning

Dave Bross
01-02-2012, 07:20 PM
I was poking around looking for something entirely different when I stumbled onto this.

This is the cleanest looking waste oil/veggie oil burner conversion I've seen yet. I thought I would toss it up here for those who were looking into this.

http://ckburners.com/index.html

Rosanna Gusler
01-03-2012, 08:18 AM
love the disclaimer. rosanna

Dave Bross
01-03-2012, 04:54 PM
Yeah, tell it like it is...

Rich Samuel
01-03-2012, 05:53 PM
Hey, if it won't bring the dead back to life, screw it. :D

Hugh Jenkins
01-05-2012, 02:18 PM
Repurposing a boiler burner is one way to go, but they are not made for our application. Glenn Randle is the best example of this and he used it for motor oil.

One reason for my reservations on this is that the burner tubes are metal and made for furnaces working at hot air or hot water temperatures, and periodic cycling, rather than 24/7 at 2100. Of course a ceramic tube could be made.

I really feel that the first way to go is to use the least amount of fuel you can by going to recuperation. Then if you want to look at fuel alternatives, go for it. I would not want to be filtering or storing oil for 15 gallons a day use. For 5 to 6 gallons a day it is not an impractical challenge. That is about the change I get for recuperation.

The biggest challenge with veg oil is filtering, even if it delivered filtered. This stuff spoils, coagulates, etc. It is also getting harder to get the oil I need as the interest in biofuels for electric generation ramps up. What's next??

Scott Novota
01-05-2012, 02:30 PM
Soylent Green

Ted Trower
01-05-2012, 02:43 PM
Soylent Green

It used to be in short supply but today you can buy it easily on the internet.

http://buysoylentgreen.com/

Greg Vriethoff
01-06-2012, 04:24 AM
Soylent Green
Soylent Green is STILL made of people!!!

Greg Frankhouser
01-07-2012, 09:21 PM
Hey folks, I know we are all focused on Teeny Tiny Holes as the way to express the fuel.

Couldn't the fuel be expressed in a spray, much like your garden hose? Yep it would still clog, but hopefully less often.

Impure fuels cause probs, the also offer opportunities for the Cheap/efficient.

If the spray is large enough, it shouldn't clog often. Also one could make a Gross Filter, to avoid the minor clogs.

Dennis Hetland
01-07-2012, 10:03 PM
Why don't you use a fuel transfer filter.

I built an oil burner out of pieces of pipe and stuff laying around my backyard. I haven't had time to build a furnace for it, but I have test fired it on a 55gallon drum with a wood fire in it. I drilled an 1 1/2 " hole in the side about mid way up. and placed the burner in front of it. I wrapped the fuel line about 7/8 the way around the barrel to preheat the oil.
I don't know how everyone else delivers oil to their burners. I thought you just pumped it straight to the burner.
What I did this time was pump the oil in a loop back to the tank and put a T in after the pump and put a needle valve with a gauge in between the T and the burner. That way I could deliver only 1-3 psi to the burner and I can adjust it.
All the info I used to build that burner is located somewhere on this forum.

Dennis Hetland
01-07-2012, 10:05 PM
and I used unfiltered oil

Dennis Hetland
01-08-2012, 01:22 AM
Most of us here, we want to make more Glass, for more folks, forever.

Please share.

Share what? Information. I did that. It didn't make me very popular and nobody wanted to read it.You're not suppose to tell people how to actually use oil. You're suppose to tell them it's a pain in the ass and they shouldn't try.

Dennis Hetland
01-08-2012, 09:11 AM
I think smartest thing to do is build a very small furnace and work up to bigger ones, but the flame on my test fire was way too big for a small furnace. If I adjusted it down too far it would dribble. I think I can get the right size flame by reducing the size of the burner orifice and adjusting the air and oil.

Dennis Hetland
01-08-2012, 09:19 AM
and from my observations of the wood barrel test the necessity of a mixing chamber with recuperated air piped into it seemed obvious. All the things Hugh Jenkins said made total sense once I started messing around with it.

Dave Bross
01-09-2012, 06:23 AM
Here's that old thread. I love the stuff from the guy in Africa.

http://talk.craftweb.com/showthread.php?t=84018

Dave Bross
01-09-2012, 06:24 AM
Here's that old thread. I love the stuff from the guy in Africa.

http://talk.craftweb.com/showthread.php?t=8401

Hugh Jenkins
01-10-2012, 03:13 AM
Dennis, Where are you going with this: "Share what? Information. I did that. It didn't make me very popular and nobody wanted to read it.You're not suppose to tell people how to actually use oil. You're suppose to tell them it's a pain in the ass and they shouldn't try."

I have never withheld information that I thought was really right. I have suggested that if anyone really wants to work with oil they should visit a shop that already does. I would say the same for anyone trying electric, or well gas, or landfill gas or anything off the norm. There are things that have to be seen and experienced. I would not have wanted anyone to just think that veg oil was the cats meow right off the bat.

I too used unfiltered oil for some early experiments and the seeming success for about a month is what led me down the path I'm on. But, when I shut down and started back up all kinds of problems showed up. I have been clear about that and possibly saved some problems out there for someone.

I think that drip burners, various kinds of sprayers, etc, will work to get some great heat. But, as the electric users have found, it is reliability, melting efficiency, maintenance, etc, that have had to be solved to have a really useable system.

It has taken a lot of time, some serious problems and disappointments, tanks of marginal glass, etc, to arrive at a really workable system using not always reliable fuel. An example of the unexpected is what happens to cooking oil right after Thanksgiving now that so many turkeys are deep fried. That turkey fat really changes the filtration and caused deposits in the burner. Heating the oil solves some problems and causes some others.

Greg, the orifice size issue brings back things that apply to gas as well. Large orifices mean low pressure delivery. Low pressure means more spatter not a real atomizing. When I first tried to make a burner for an 80# furnace I could not turn it down enough to get a good burn and control the heat. The furnace was too small for the smallest nozzle I could use. I actually had to go to a larger furnace with a larger fire box volume to get things to run right. Who would have known that without trying it? You can start too small with this.

I gross filter everything. Then I fine filter it as it goes to the shop tank and "insurance filter" as it goes to the burner supply. As I have said before, if you can't sleep at night, you don't have a working system. But also, if you can't go out for several hours, or take a day off, or not spend huge amounts of time on fuel management, it cuts into your glass working or just the ability to have a life. I have had every one of those conflicts. My wife was ready to quit at times over it. I still think of improvements and try to implement them. All of my transfers are now with pumps and all pumps have timers to eliminate human error.

Ironically, now my main issue is competition for the oil with utility companies wanting it for electric generation. I could not possibly get enough (150 gal/mo) without paying a collecting company to deliver it.

I think a lot of people wanted to hear what anyone would say about oil that made it seem easy, inexpensive and hip. It would not have been very honest to paint that picture, at least not for a continuous running shop over the long haul. I doubt I would still be able to operate where I do, had I not made the effort. I don't think I can work hard enough any more to run long term on gas.

If I ever made oil seem esoteric, it was not intended. But, as my wife will tell you, if you mess with this stuff, you will get it on you. And any clothes you wash in the same machine will also smell like it. I guess that qualifies as making it sound like a pain in the ass you shouldn't try.

Dave Bross
01-10-2012, 06:15 AM
Well said...as always.

There it is folks, the bottom line from actual experience...brought to you by one of the nicest, most competent and most patient people in the biz.

I think one of Hugh's last comments is very important as to the future of all this. There will be huge competition for the waste oil sooner rather than later.

If we really do go Road Warrior/third world in the end it's probably wood for for me for a pain-in the-ass-high-maintenance-up-all-night-to-keep-it-hot heating system.

It does grow on trees after all.....

Glenn Randle
01-10-2012, 08:28 AM
Hugh,

Some folks need to learn things the hard way....

IMO, Carpooling is a great way to save fuel, but nobody likes to share the ride. Sharing the studio would probably be a good way to economize since the furnace runs 24/7, but most of us don't like the idea of sharing "our" shops.

Paper mache is looking better all the time! http://www.gourmetpapermache.com/

Dave Hilty
01-10-2012, 10:36 AM
I recently read an article in the Detroit paper about the fact that waste cooking oil is in such demand that there are regular thefts of the stuff since it commands a higher price these days.

Rich Samuel
01-10-2012, 01:54 PM
I recently read an article in the Detroit paper about the fact that waste cooking oil is in such demand that there are regular thefts of the stuff since it commands a higher price these days.

We've had a few similar incidents here in Seattle as well. I'm waiting for the late-night TV ads: "Just pour your waste oil into the post-paid envelope we provide, drop it in the mail, and we'll send you a check." :D

Eben Horton
01-10-2012, 05:08 PM
a friend of mine worked in a studio in Zimbabwe that ran its furnace off of used motor oil. The oil was kept in an elevated tank that had a copper line come down and drip oil into an opening that can be described as a burner port. it was an opening that had a hard brick that was red hot extending from the combustion chamber. There was compressed air that would force the flame of the burning oil into to furnace.. it was run by a huge tire tube and a bicycle pump. Someone had to pump up the tube every 15 minutes if I remember right.

Dave Bross
01-10-2012, 06:10 PM
Love it! ingenuity at its finest.

I saw a large homemade hydrogen generator that had stacks of truck tire tubes with a weight on top for gas storage.

That's going back a while.....almost all truck tires are tubeless now.

Dennis Hetland
01-11-2012, 02:36 AM
Dennis, Where are you going with this: "Share what? Information. I did that. It didn't make me very popular and nobody wanted to read it.You're not suppose to tell people how to actually use oil. You're suppose to tell them it's a pain in the ass and they shouldn't try."

I have never withheld information that I thought was really right. I have suggested that if anyone really wants to work with oil they should visit a shop that already does. I would say the same for anyone trying electric, or well gas, or landfill gas or anything off the norm. There are things that have to be seen and experienced. I would not have wanted anyone to just think that veg oil was the cats meow right off the bat.

I too used unfiltered oil for some early experiments and the seeming success for about a month is what led me down the path I'm on. But, when I shut down and started back up all kinds of problems showed up. I have been clear about that and possibly saved some problems out there for someone.

I think that drip burners, various kinds of sprayers, etc, will work to get some great heat. But, as the electric users have found, it is reliability, melting efficiency, maintenance, etc, that have had to be solved to have a really useable system.

It has taken a lot of time, some serious problems and disappointments, tanks of marginal glass, etc, to arrive at a really workable system using not always reliable fuel. An example of the unexpected is what happens to cooking oil right after Thanksgiving now that so many turkeys are deep fried. That turkey fat really changes the filtration and caused deposits in the burner. Heating the oil solves some problems and causes some others.

Greg, the orifice size issue brings back things that apply to gas as well. Large orifices mean low pressure delivery. Low pressure means more spatter not a real atomizing. When I first tried to make a burner for an 80# furnace I could not turn it down enough to get a good burn and control the heat. The furnace was too small for the smallest nozzle I could use. I actually had to go to a larger furnace with a larger fire box volume to get things to run right. Who would have known that without trying it? You can start too small with this.

I gross filter everything. Then I fine filter it as it goes to the shop tank and "insurance filter" as it goes to the burner supply. As I have said before, if you can't sleep at night, you don't have a working system. But also, if you can't go out for several hours, or take a day off, or not spend huge amounts of time on fuel management, it cuts into your glass working or just the ability to have a life. I have had every one of those conflicts. My wife was ready to quit at times over it. I still think of improvements and try to implement them. All of my transfers are now with pumps and all pumps have timers to eliminate human error.

Ironically, now my main issue is competition for the oil with utility companies wanting it for electric generation. I could not possibly get enough (150 gal/mo) without paying a collecting company to deliver it.

I think a lot of people wanted to hear what anyone would say about oil that made it seem easy, inexpensive and hip. It would not have been very honest to paint that picture, at least not for a continuous running shop over the long haul. I doubt I would still be able to operate where I do, had I not made the effort. I don't think I can work hard enough any more to run long term on gas.

If I ever made oil seem esoteric, it was not intended. But, as my wife will tell you, if you mess with this stuff, you will get it on you. And any clothes you wash in the same machine will also smell like it. I guess that qualifies as making it sound like a pain in the ass you shouldn't try.

After I posted the emails from Mikko the questions I asked started to get ignored. I've had people who have read that thread tell me they thought I was pissing people off. I felt like nobody wanted to hear about any of the information I tried to share. After that thread I figured I wouldn't ask about oil on craftweb any more. It seemed to be an awkward thing to talk about here.

Dennis Hetland
01-11-2012, 03:01 AM
Hugh,

IMO, Carpooling is a great way to save fuel, but nobody likes to share the ride. Sharing the studio would probably be a good way to economize since the furnace runs 24/7, but most of us don't like the idea of sharing "our" shops.

I want to share my shop. I just signed the lease today to rent the house next to me. So now I have another 200amp service I can use to run more equipment. Plus there's another shop I get to use. I can set up more/different equipment there.
This house/shop won't cost me any money if I can keep the three bedrooms over there rented. So far I've only rented one room to some guy that's the project manager at the largest HVAC contracting company in town. He's from the Seattle area and says he's worked on studio equipment before.
He's already kicked down with an old burner system a(non glass) customer was throwing out. I don't know if it'll be something I can use for glass or not, but I think with this guy's help I might actually be able to get the 500lb crucible furnace I have sitting on a cement pad in between the houses working on oil.

Pete VanderLaan
01-11-2012, 08:33 AM
This house/shop won't cost me any money if I can keep the three bedrooms over there rented.
I view these as famous last words. Tenants take time and money, and then more time and then more money. They are what they are. Boarding houses usually have really interesting regulation from government, and for historically good reasons. Around here, the police never need directions to a lot of places that rent rooms.

Glenn Randle
01-11-2012, 08:43 AM
Sounds good.

But....I think Hugh's comment about the "demand for oil" being a big issue considering the "green minded" area where you live.

The price of your oil will not always be "cheap", but the startup costs and efforts to burn the oil will remain. After the cost for oil reaches a certain level you will ask yourself why you chose the harder path. After you have invested a considerable amount of time & resources you may feel more committed than you wish you were.....

I can't tell you how many times I wish firing up, turning down, or idling was as simple as turning a knob or pushing a few buttons... And let's not forget how "clean, quiet, and dependably" electricty flows magically through the wall into our studio.

Glenn Randle
01-11-2012, 08:46 AM
. Around here, the police never need directions to a lot of places that rent rooms.

LOL! That's Funny.

Somebody has to keep the hookers & dope warm & dry. ;)

Dennis Hetland
01-11-2012, 11:56 AM
http://http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Art_commune

It looks like Wikipedia agrees with Peter.

I've been renting out my extra rooms for 6 1/2 years. It's part of my OPM funding program. I have an entire 30x 32 shop for the cost of a bedroom.
I used the same formula to start my gallery. I found an excellent space for a gallery and got other artists together to help pitch in. They pay rent and sell with a 0% commission. The gallery is an LLC that's run like a co-op, but it only has one owner. Me.
I just had this girl from Philadelphia stay with me for 3 1/2 months. I gave her studio time for sitting in my gallery and half the money from the sales of her glass went to cover studio costs. It was a good deal for me because it allowed me to be in more than one place at a time theoretically making more money.
It was a good deal for her. Her glass blowing improved immensely by the end of her stay. I let her drive my Mercedes around the whole time she was here too. I know she really wants to come back and probably bring some of her friends.
I need people like her because I don't want to do any production what so ever. I'll leave that for people that just graduated from expensive art schools.
My studio is a school where people can get real life experience in all aspects of making and selling glass art/craft.
The Mercedes, the gallery, the studio, the scrap cullet and the oil are just some examples of OPM funding. There is no limit to OPM funding.
When I start talking about communes on Craftweb I totally expect to get teased about it. If that's all the clowning I'm going to get then I think I'm getting off easy. I own a gallery. I can't even begin to tell you people how much fun I have running that gallery. Tease me all you want. I have a good thing going.

Dennis Hetland
01-11-2012, 12:23 PM
Sounds good.

But....I think Hugh's comment about the "demand for oil" being a big issue considering the "green minded" area where you live.

The price of your oil will not always be "cheap", but the startup costs and efforts to burn the oil will remain. After the cost for oil reaches a certain level you will ask yourself why you chose the harder path. After you have invested a considerable amount of time & resources you may feel more committed than you wish you were.....

I can't tell you how many times I wish firing up, turning down, or idling was as simple as turning a knob or pushing a few buttons... And let's not forget how "clean, quiet, and dependably" electricty flows magically through the wall into our studio.
Oil is "free". I could be picking up a lot more than I am now. I hope to start running the vehicle I use to pick it up on wvo thereby making it "more free".
I run two apartments and a studio on one 200 amp panel. I have dirt cheap electricity, but only have access to so much of it. I'd like to melt glass with oil and only use electricity to anneal.

Dennis Hetland
01-11-2012, 12:37 PM
I view these as famous last words. Tenants take time and money, and then more time and then more money. They are what they are. Boarding houses usually have really interesting regulation from government, and for historically good reasons. Around here, the police never need directions to a lot of places that rent rooms.

I'm close to the local junior college. Most of the people that rent rooms from me are young ladies in their early 20's that never really give me any problems.

Dennis Hetland
01-11-2012, 01:52 PM
This guy sent me an email a few days ago. I assume he's not a craftweb member. I think what he's describing might be an Osmund burner. Something Mikko mentioned in his emails. I figured I'd post it because it's one more bit of info someone might find useful.

Michael Ahlefeldt info@glashyttan.com
Jan 8 (3 days ago)

to me
Hi Dennis
I saw your posts on craftweb about burning oil - I thought I could tell you about my experience with oil. I ran a 350 kilo pot furnace for 14 years using heating oil- diesel here in Sweden. The burner I used was made for boilers in large buildings and other industrial apps, and was really too large for my furnace. There were 4 holes about 1 1/2 millimeter dia. where the oil came out and mixed with air from a 4 hp 50 mm watercolumn blower. Both the air and oil was regulated with a motor valve.
The main thing I want to mention to you is that it would not burn good at low temperatures, the oil droplets were too big and it would stutter and carry on, more like a very rapid series of explosions -it just wouldnt work. I would always start the furnace with a propane burner and not even try to to start the oil burner under 900 C but at that temp it burned really nice, even at low rate of fire. I think basicallly that the oil droplets would gas from the heat and burn fine and then it was self sustaining.
I think you are trying vegetable oil which I would think has a lower energy count than diesel which would probably make it even less prone to burn good at a low ambient temp. Try your burner in an already hot gloryhole and see what happens,- I dont think a woodfire/55 gal drum is hot enough for a good burn. But Im sure your idea of using veg oil would work
All the best

Franklin Sankar
01-11-2012, 02:12 PM
Dennis, is mikko still around. The last I heard from him, his Mother died and he was moving to do some family things.
Franklin

Allan Gott
01-11-2012, 09:43 PM
I've had people who have read that thread tell me they thought I was pissing people off.

Rest assured.......if you are pissin' people on this BB off.......you'll know......and....in spite of the fact that the chance of me personally ever using waste oil is pretty low, I appreciate every word of the discussion......carry on

Dave Bross
01-12-2012, 06:28 AM
Dennis

Do you understand the level of refining required to run waste oil in a vehicle effectively?

Look up Steve Chastain's stuff.

Hugh Jenkins
01-12-2012, 05:03 PM
Dennis, My most basic advice is to start with a very efficient furnace by using recuperation. A hot system does make veg oil much easier to burn as Michael suggests. And he was referring to heating oil. Running a burner on #2 fuel oil avoids a lot of the problems of veg oil. Propane and natural gas are both "gas" but way different animals. Each has its issues.

Where you are makes a lot of difference. It is the big reason why some use electric, others natural gas, others propane, oil or whatever. If your oil is still free, you are lucky. That still might not make it worth the driving around to pick it up.

Good luck, I hope you can make the process fun for all involved.

Dennis Hetland
01-12-2012, 05:51 PM
[QUOTE=Franklin Sankar;102278]Dennis, is mikko still around. The last I heard from him

Dennis Hetland
01-12-2012, 05:58 PM
Dennis

Do you understand the level of refining required to run waste oil in a vehicle effectively?

Look up Steve Chastain's stuff.

Well when you run on veg oil I'm told you lose about 30% power. I have Mercedes Benz 300D Turbo Diesel that kicks ass. I don't want it to kick 30% less ass. I plan on making bio diesel.

Dennis Hetland
01-12-2012, 06:05 PM
Dennis, My most basic advice is to start with a very efficient furnace by using recuperation. A hot system does make veg oil much easier to burn as Michael suggests. And he was referring to heating oil. Running a burner on #2 fuel oil avoids a lot of the problems of veg oil. Propane and natural gas are both "gas" but way different animals. Each has its issues.

Where you are makes a lot of difference. It is the big reason why some use electric, others natural gas, others propane, oil or whatever. If your oil is still free, you are lucky. That still might not make it worth the driving around to pick it up.

Good luck, I hope you can make the process fun for all involved.

That's my next step as soon as I find time. I plan to cast a mixing chamber out of something like Kast o lite 30 or (?). Something cone shaped with a port for adding hot air. I might just start out sticking copper tubing in the insulation and pumping air through it.

Or in the exhaust chimney maybe?

Michael Ahlefeldt-Laurvig
01-12-2012, 07:08 PM
Well one of the reasons I was hesitant to post it was that it might look like I think its a good idea to burn oil. I would see it as a last resort which was the case for me when I started here 20 years ago. Im out in the country and it was too expensive to get the power company to supply me with 125 A (3 phase 440 V) service for an electric furnace. Yes we had electric furnaces 20 years ago. Gas was too expensive due to safety codes and my local fire chief went bonkers at the thought of a home built furnace running on propane in his district- he had no prior experience of that. You dont want a fire chief against you. Right Pete?
My furnace was kind of large for a studio and I used 3000 liters of heating oil per month- 800 gallons. Even with a smaller furnace say 400 gallons/month I would think it would be a logistical nightmare to find a large and secure supply of vegetable oil unless you have someone supply it to you and by then its starting to cost something. There are a lot of service issues running pumps and blowers (I had backup systems) lots of things that can cause problems. Everything that can go wrong will. That of course applies to all aspects of glass manufacturing...
Since most of your energy is going out the flue in a combustion furnace a recuperation system would have to be used if you feel like saving energy.
There is nothing new about burning oil in a glass furnace, 40 years ago I would say most factories in Europe were doing it in every furnace, so there is no technical reason it does not work, its been done for a long time. Some of the big furnaces ran on heavy oil- like ships use- its like tar at room temperature. And whether its diesel or turkey fat doesent matter much once you get it going. They just contain different amount of energy per unit.
Bottom line here, as I see it, is that it is very possible to burn vegetable oil if its free and easy to get, the technical knowhow to fire a glass furnace with oil has been in place for 50 years at least, and if you enjoy fiddling around with mechanical systems it might be worth it, assuming again that the oil is and remains free of cost.

Seven years ago we were blessed with a hurricane which wrecked most of the the power grid around here and when the power company rebuilt they were able to supply me with the amps I needed at a good price, so Ive been running a 250 kilo electric furnace since then. It is a tank furnace with two molybdenum electrodes straight into the glass through the tank wall and the resistance in the glass creates the heat. Very efficient. No controller as such, no thermocouple, the temperature is regulated by how much resistance is measured between the electrodes. My electric bill is about 900 dollars a month- if we break that down to one days production it is one piece at 900 dollars or two for 450 or 10 at 90 or 20 pieces at 45 dollars or 40 things at 22.50- electricity is just so simple. I would not be afraid to leave home for a month with it running. My comfort time away from the oil furnace was about 3 hours.

Michael Ahlefeldt-Laurvig
01-12-2012, 07:52 PM
[QUOTE=Dennis Hetland;102323]That's my next step as soon as I find time. I plan to cast a mixing chamber out of something like Kast o lite 30 or (?). Something cone shaped with a port for adding hot air. I might just start out sticking copper tubing in the insulation and pumping air through it.

I forgot this- I would make the port out of as dense castable you can find, Im not sure what you mean by adding hot air- its the combustion air that should be hot. The part about tubing in the insulation? its a joke right?

Dennis Hetland
01-12-2012, 09:18 PM
[QUOTE=Dennis Hetland;102323]That's my next step as soon as I find time. I plan to cast a mixing chamber out of something like Kast o lite 30 or (?). Something cone shaped with a port for adding hot air. I might just start out sticking copper tubing in the insulation and pumping air through it.

I forgot this- I would make the port out of as dense castable you can find, Im not sure what you mean by adding hot air- its the combustion air that should be hot. The part about tubing in the insulation? its a joke right?

Copper tubing in the insulation to heat air to add to the mixing chamber.(recuperation)
cheap and easy to to get started with. I plan on building a small furnace. Like 13lbs. I was even thinking of starting out even smaller like a coffee cup. Work my way up from there.

Jordan Kube
01-13-2012, 01:18 AM
Where did the headbang smiley go?

Rollin Karg
01-13-2012, 10:42 AM
Dennis, you're going to want to recover waste heat from the flue. It was much discussed and cussed awhile back. You might find it helpful to go back and see of the old posts on this subject.

Dennis Hetland
01-13-2012, 11:25 AM
Yes, of course the flue. Thanks for the advice.

I'd like to thank everyone for their advice.

I haven't had a lot of time to mess with building an oil furnace. That's why you don't see me asking questions. I don't feel like I need to talk about it I need to find time to do it. I'm sure I'll have questions later.
I'm planning on photo documenting my build. I also have some pics from my wood barrel experiment I'll post soon.

Glenn Randle
01-13-2012, 10:30 PM
[QUOTE=Dennis Hetland
I plan on building a small furnace. Like 13lbs. I was even thinking of starting out even smaller like a coffee cup. Work my way up from there.[/QUOTE]

You can store it in a shoebox when you aren't blowing glass. ;)

Pete VanderLaan
01-14-2012, 05:45 AM
http://http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Art_commune

It looks like Wikipedia agrees with Peter.

I've been renting out my extra rooms for 6 1/2 years. It's part of my OPM funding program. I have an entire 30x 32 shop for the cost of a bedroom.
I used the same formula to start my gallery. I found an excellent space for a gallery and got other artists together to help pitch in. They pay rent and sell with a 0% commission. The gallery is an LLC that's run like a co-op, but it only has one owner. Me.
I just had this girl from Philadelphia stay with me for 3 1/2 months. I gave her studio time for sitting in my gallery and half the money from the sales of her glass went to cover studio costs. It was a good deal for me because it allowed me to be in more than one place at a time theoretically making more money.
It was a good deal for her. Her glass blowing improved immensely by the end of her stay. I let her drive my Mercedes around the whole time she was here too. I know she really wants to come back and probably bring some of her friends.
I need people like her because I don't want to do any production what so ever. I'll leave that for people that just graduated from expensive art schools.
My studio is a school where people can get real life experience in all aspects of making and selling glass art/craft.
The Mercedes, the gallery, the studio, the scrap cullet and the oil are just some examples of OPM funding. There is no limit to OPM funding.
When I start talking about communes on Craftweb I totally expect to get teased about it. If that's all the clowning I'm going to get then I think I'm getting off easy. I own a gallery. I can't even begin to tell you people how much fun I have running that gallery. Tease me all you want. I have a good thing going.

You make yourself sound really attractive Dennis. I also read the deleted post you had for Jordan. Don't hurt your arm patting yourself on the back congratulating yourself. Let others do that work.

Michael! Always good to hear from you. I have noticed you lurking from time to time and obviously you left that Island in Denmark. Keep on writing, the fire chief in me want to know if you are a threat to Greater Scandinavia.

Dennis Hetland
01-19-2012, 09:00 PM
You make yourself sound really attractive Dennis. Don't hurt your arm patting yourself on the back congratulating yourself. Let others do that work.

Well I had to say something positive about it. You we're making it sound way more creepy than it actually is. The place is really what you make out of it. I need to get other people involved here somewhat soon. I think I'm going to start a thread about it.