PDA

View Full Version : Assistants, employees, yes or no?

Cecil McKenzie
01-03-2012, 11:44 AM
More debate in this link from Yahoo. Dueling Brits.
http://news.yahoo.com/british-artists-feud-over-assistants-105345276.html

Alexander Adams
01-03-2012, 09:33 PM
There have always been farm hands helping farmers but if making art was an agricultural endeavor, Damien Hirst and others like him would be the equivalent of corporate owned "Factory farms", plantation owners or land owners utilizing sharecroppers. It's crap and it's what is currently taught in schools. The new head of glass at Tyler once exclaimed that she didn't need any skills in glass because she could simply hire me or the 1 other skilled student to "realize" her ideas. I replied w/ "What if we didn't want to make your work?" I got C in that class. Everyone else who kept their post modernist mouths shut, got an A. (PS. grad school sucked eggs)

Anytime the artworld (critics, students etc) corners Hirst and his 7 digit price tag, Neo-Baroque style and hands off conveyor belt atilier process of making, he fires back that he is some kind of Robin Hood artist who is stealing from the rich and giving to the poor. To that I say Bollocks!

Cecil McKenzie
01-03-2012, 10:41 PM
I've always been amused by Mr. Hirst and the art world take on him but had never been aware of the vitriol against him. When I searched his name tonight it (my search engine came up with a category. Hirst Plagiarism.) At least 11 or 12 counts. What I was looking for was how much the original designer of the toy Hirst copied for "Hymn" received for his work. Here is the whole story for those interested.

http://raichel.org/articlesRaichel/Art-News/Hymn.html

I'm not against artists working in this manner but there is definitely something different about it. Some artwork takes finesse from the artist himself and some is done by hired guns , other artists and craftsman. Often in the second case the artist gets all or most of the credit while the person or persons with the skill are lucky to get mentioned. Craft skills are derided even though to a great degree it is what generates the wow ! factor in the work. It would be interesting to know how much involvement Hirst had in the making of "Hymn"

I know this is off topic and that glass has the extra factor of absolute need of one or more assistants to accomplish certain things but I found it interesting that David Hockney should get so worked up about someone not making their own work.

Richard Huntrods
01-03-2012, 11:35 PM
Speaking of artist and workers, anyone see the video for this?

http://www.ket.org/muse/kemper/

The video was called "Painting with Glass" and profiles Guy Kemper and the glass panels at Mount Baker Light Rail Station in Seattle, Washington.

-R

Pete VanderLaan
01-04-2012, 07:50 AM
I so completely 100% totally fully agree with Alex. I really like working alone these days. Back when I was a "job Creator", I busted it every day so I could make payroll. I think I probably bought 20 tape measures and about 50 screwdriver sets every year and they always quietly disappeared. Silence is a wonderful thing.

When I did the colorwork for the Corona Glass series at Simpsons, which even I thought was spectacular, He put in his newsletter that he had found his old color formulas and promised not to lose them again. Profoundly tacky.

The "would you be interested in facilitating my artwork is total bullshit"

Scott Novota
01-04-2012, 09:51 AM
What happens if he can find you again?

Edit: Yes, can't is what I ment.

Pete VanderLaan
01-04-2012, 02:55 PM
well, he certainly knows where I live but he can't find me at all.

Angela Reizian
01-06-2012, 08:14 AM
:evil: Buy pink or some weird color for your screwdrivers and tapes. Men won't steal them- too embarassing.I so completely 100% totally fully agree with Alex. I really like working alone these days. Back when I was a "job Creator", I busted it every day so I could make payroll. I think I probably bought 20 tape measures and about 50 screwdriver sets every year and they always quietly disappeared. Silence is a wonderful thing.

When I did the colorwork for the Corona Glass series at Simpsons, which even I thought was spectacular, He put in his newsletter that he had found his old color formulas and promised not to lose them again. Profoundly tacky.

The "would you be interested in facilitating my artwork is total bullshit"

Pete VanderLaan
01-06-2012, 08:27 AM
It's all in my past now Angela. Do they actually make pink tape measures? Mary Beth would steal them all. My electrical engineering son would take the screwdrivers.

There is a guy here she would hire periodically who became a master of cutting off his own electrical cord in ways that just amazed me. I have a skill saw and a jig saw with a repaired cord, only about 16-18 inches from the tool. That's hard to do. If I needed gravel I would give him a big rock and tell him it was a ball peen hammer.