PDA

View Full Version : Anyone wanting to make 12" diameter cylinders?

Brice Turnbull
01-10-2012, 04:53 PM
Hi all,
I had a guy who collects old gas pumps ask me last week if I would make a few (2 or 4?) 12" diameter, and 10" diameter glass cylinders to replace broken/missing glass liners for him. They'd need to be up to 26" tall, or it sounds like he would take two 13" tall cylinders and set them on top of each other.

I'm not interested, but told him if I were I would make a 12" across by 16" tall clear cylinder for $500 to $600. He thought that $350 to $400 for a 12" across by 26" tall was more realistic for him.

Is anyone out there capable, and interested?

email me or reply to this thread and I'll forward his contact info,
thanks,
Brice

Pete VanderLaan
01-10-2012, 06:45 PM
The molds for a lot of those pumps are down in VanBuren Arkansas in the hands of a guy named Michael Christman. I have seen them

Eben Horton
01-10-2012, 09:23 PM
Are they open on both ends?

Michael Mccain
01-11-2012, 06:07 AM
I got time on Saturday, and a whole factory of molds to play with- when does he need them?

Jeff Thompson
01-11-2012, 10:13 AM
Ha, that's cute how he set his own pricing! RED FLAG!

Brice Turnbull
01-11-2012, 03:20 PM
Hi Eben - I expect they'd be open on both ends.... but didn't think to ask.

Hey Jeff - I can see that, I don't know him personally, but I figured it would be helpful to get his thoughts on price so people would know what to expect before calling him.

Michael - I'll be back at my shop in a few minutes and message you with his phone number.

Pete VanderLaan
01-11-2012, 04:10 PM
I fail to see a red flag in someone saying what they are willing to pay for something. You either take the offer or you don't.

I'm making a reliary for someone right now. She was very up front. She said she couldn't afford to pay more than $100.00. I told her that's what it would cost then.

Jeff Thompson
01-11-2012, 07:05 PM
I'd like to hear the conversation he has with UPS when he explains what he feels like paying for shipping.:)

I wonder how much an actual antique one costs today?

Jeff Thompson
01-11-2012, 07:08 PM
Hey Jeff - I can see that, I don't know him personally, but I figured it would be helpful to get his thoughts on price so people would know what to expect before calling him.

Excellent point! My humor dried out afew years ago! Sorry to be so crude.

Pete VanderLaan
01-11-2012, 07:18 PM
I'd like to hear the conversation he has with UPS when he explains what he feels like paying for shipping.:)

I wonder how much an actual antique one costs today?
UPS has a variety of pricing levels depending on what you ship and what volume. Some people don't use them and use other services if they don't like the price. When I didn't like the price at UPS, they actually lowered my price. Again, I don't see what the problem is with seeking the best price. Almost everyone on this board does it all the time. Why is it a problem if a client does it. You can always say no. I don't bargain on crucibles and elements. I do sometimes on glass. Collectors of glass are notorious about asking for discounts. I suppose if someone were to want to buy a ton of elements or crucibles I would probably lower the price. Why is this some sort of Red Flag? I do not get it.

When I was down to Southwest glass in Van Buren, I saw the old Pismo Clam mold from the shell pumps in the 30's and 40's. It was the original. The mold was about 18 inches inches tall and about 12 inches deep. I asked how much it would cost me to have 25 of them blown in a light milk glass. They said $13.00 each.

Jeff Thompson
01-11-2012, 09:54 PM
Its red flag because...well... you completely outlined it yourself: A customer approaches UPS, UPS supplies a quote, customer can accept or decline. If its declined then UPS has the option to alter its quote. The red flag is because this guy wants to skip the regular process and supply his own price. Whats his qualifications to even know ballpark pricing for custom blown glass?

David Hopman
01-12-2012, 01:20 AM
Its red flag because...well... you completely outlined it yourself: A customer approaches UPS, UPS supplies a quote, customer can accept or decline. If its declined then UPS has the option to alter its quote. The red flag is because this guy wants to skip the regular process and supply his own price. Whats his qualifications to even know ballpark pricing for custom blown glass?

If he's using them to restore gas pumps to sell then he probably has a cost point that he has to meet or the project is not worth doing. I get antique repair inquiries all the time that follow this pattern.

Rollin Karg
01-12-2012, 04:26 AM
I like to know upfront what the budget is,that way I don't waste anyone's time, especially my own.

Pete VanderLaan
01-12-2012, 06:10 AM
I'm still stuck. Are you suggesting that I would now be a red flag for UPS?
What is the point of Priceline? You put up the price you are willing to pay and hotels compete based on your price. I think it's called supply and demand economics. For me a red flag means "trouble Ahead", not a milk cow.

Tom Fuhrman
01-12-2012, 10:15 AM
Pete: I think of lot of Christman's molds were sent to Davis Lynch Glass, but they're not using them.
In addition, I think there are some factories around that could still make these for approx: $100 ea. in quantities of 36-48 at a time. That's competition. I also get freight quotes from numerous companies when shipping and from day to day they change based on discounts. I get a lot of requests as well for antique replacements, but most faint when given a cost for iron mold work. People don't realize what's involved in the manufacturing process and mold making process for larger engraved/patterned glass items. I usually suggest they but a plane ticket and go overseas to have it done as it is much cheaper in many other parts of the world and will easily pay for their trip there. Doing business in the US is not always easy or cheap thanks to our politicians.

Michael Mccain
01-12-2012, 11:12 AM
I look at it this way. I have the equipment at my disposal, the skill to do the thing and the half hour per piece on saturday to spend instead of watching cartoons... A reasonable way to make a few hundred bucks. He can name the price and I can agree or disagree to accept it. the deposit can show up in the mail and I can ship out the product. Usually the only time I put faith into action is waiting for the other half to come around after I've shipped the glass.
And UPS not bashing my package into smithereens.