PDA

View Full Version : Hydrogen /Oxygen systems

Ted Trower
01-11-2012, 12:50 PM
I wonder what one of these costs?

http://www.yet2.com/app/list/techpak?id=64292&sid=20&abc=0

And would enough production to run a house, be enough to run a studio?

Dave Bross
01-12-2012, 12:20 PM
I believe the word "inexpensive" was incorrectly used there....or should I say in comparison to what?

I once saw a windmill with a DC generator (quite common in the midwest years back) powering a big tank of water with baffles and electrodes. That was the one I mentioned elsewhere that used a stack of truck inner tubes with a weight on top to store the gas.

Ben David
01-15-2012, 11:19 AM
It's easier to use a photovoltaic panel to power the reaction, instead of using solar radiation to actually split the molecules. This type of system was described a while back in one of the DIY energy magazines.

But you need storage, since this is a "trickle" system. And storage of H and O has pretty stiff safety requirements (oil-less pumps being just the start).

Thomas Chapman
01-15-2012, 11:34 AM
Once in the 70's I visited an auto repair shop in Boulder, CO. They had a large "vat" in the corner of the shop, as I recall perhaps 4 ft X 5ft X 4 feet deep. It was cast concrete or cinder block, was open across the top, and filled with a liquid. They said it was an acytelene producer, making welding gas for their use in the shop. It struck me at the time as a rather crude and dicey set-up. Has anyone ever seen such a system; would it have an application today? Or were they just pulling my chain?

Dave Bross
01-16-2012, 08:33 AM
No, that's for real....or was for real. a lot of old shops that used intense heat for something had those.

It used calcium carbide to generate the gas. calcium carbide + water and you've got gas.

It's very difficult to get calcium carbide now.

And here's one reason why...

Way back when in high school it was used as a practical joke. If you knew someone you weren't particularly fond of was always going to sneak a smoke in the same stall of the bathroom at the same time, you would dump some calcium carbide in the toilet next to that stall and wait for them to come in and light up.

It really does make a pretty large explosion.

Very good for retraining bullies and thugs.

Rosanna Gusler
01-16-2012, 08:36 AM
makes for great cannon accelerant . viva la pumpkin gun! rosanna