PDA

View Full Version : Studio Fire in Charlotte, Vermont


Alexander Adams
01-15-2012, 05:22 PM
I think this is Bud S's new place. I once went on lunch break and noticed a pillar of smoke rising from the area where my studio was at the time. (I thought God was punishing me for buying lunch at Wendy's) As I got closer, it looked as though my whole world had just crumbled. As I rounded the corner, I was relieved to find that it was my stupid neighbor's place 2 doors down. I called him and watched him arrive with the same horrid expression I must have had 10 minutes earlier. I can't imagine how this guy in VT feels. (turn those holes, pipe warmers and garages off during lunch or skip lunch and finish work early) Stay alert!

http://www.wcax.com/story/16518321/fire-destroys-glass-blowing-studio

Brice Turnbull
01-19-2012, 12:52 PM
I'm sorry to read of their misfortune, that is bad news for sure.

Wouldn't the simplest safety of all - the pressure cut off switch on the air intake line - have prevented this?

This is not a rhetorical question. I don't want to be trusting something that ultimately can't perform an important function.

Pete VanderLaan
01-19-2012, 01:35 PM
You would be amazed at how many people run with no safety systems at all Brice. I actually saw a set up running at a state fair with no shutoff on an unattended gas furnace last year. It ran unattended overnight for ten days.