PDA

View Full Version : I've got rhythm

Robert Gary Parkes
01-21-2012, 11:00 AM
This is a weird one.. but here we go.
I posted a thread (that Pete had great sport with) about power problems in my Studio some time ago.
After the power supplier (HYDRO BC) and my electrical contractor that installed everything have recently checked everything out all seems to be ok (they replaced the supply transformer on the pole with a larger capacity one)
So.. I turn on my PA system or my Stereo (crown amps, pre amp, dvd player)
and I am hearing a pulsing buzzing sound through my speakers, not constant but every second or so, the louder I turn up the volume the worse it gets, rendering my sound system useless, may as well be listening to a cheap radio with bad reception from Wal Mart.
BUT, when I open the door to my Moly..of course the power shuts off, the buzzing stops, close the door, and it slowly returns...
Steve? Pete? anyone else have any ideas?
Stereo is hooked up to a surge protector plug bar.
I just wanna play some music when I work ...oh the humanity..

Pete VanderLaan
01-21-2012, 11:07 AM
You can kiss AM radio goodbye anywhere within 50 yards of a moly. The SCR does create interference but it shouldn't on a straight stereo. I have trouble with mine because of florescent ballasts. If the door switch is killing the noise, it's the furnace. I listen to FM.

David Patchen
01-21-2012, 01:14 PM
This touches on my potentially crazy-sounding fear of EMFs and other radiation coming off all this high powered equipment giving us all cancer. Will that be what glassblowers who use electric furnaces die from in 20 years?

Dave Hilty
01-21-2012, 01:15 PM
Does your amp have a ground wire that you have connected to a ground? Ground loops can occur when you have multiple grounds among multiple devices. Connecting the amp ground to the same ground as the moly may eliminate the interference. There are isolation transformers that are pretty cheap to remove the interference from passing through the ac lines to your amp.

Rollin Karg
01-21-2012, 01:45 PM
This touches on my potentially crazy-sounding fear of EMFs and other radiation coming off all this high powered equipment giving us all cancer. Will that be what glassblowers who use electric furnaces die from in 20 years?

If I make it another twenty years I won't be complaining !!!

Lawrence Duckworth
01-21-2012, 02:08 PM
Fox news reported another massive solar flare headed your way tonight.....prolly chuck full of radiation and communicatio jamming stuff.....:)

Pete VanderLaan
01-21-2012, 02:46 PM
...and that was the advent of the SC Primary creating such gas today?

Ted Trower
01-21-2012, 02:58 PM
A good example of radio frequency interference. How long are your speaker wires? Are they shielded or simple twin wire? Shorter is better, shielded is better, all that wire makes a great antenna.

Simplest fix is to go to radio shack and buy yourself some filter toroids. Loop the speaker wire thru the center of the toroid as many times as space allows. Make the loops as small and as tight as you can. Do this at the amplifier end of the wires first. It's usually not necessary to put them at the speakers unless you have really long wires or a high strength interfering signal. Having a high quality ground on the system is also very important.

Many radio receivers are manufactured with the design emphasis being on high sensitivity. In this case what you need is a system with high selectivity.

Lawrence Ruskin
01-21-2012, 03:01 PM
What would you incase the transformer, etc. in to block the radiation?

Pete VanderLaan
01-21-2012, 03:11 PM
I kept my first one outside. I keep my current one behind a wall.

Ted Trower
01-21-2012, 03:22 PM
What would you incase the transformer, etc. in to block the radiation?

You can build a Faraday cage around an RF source but you have to understand that every wire passing thru the cage is a potential leak.

A Faraday cage is just a wire screen / mesh box that is well grounded. Any rf energy with a wavelength greater than the openings in the mesh will be effectively blocked from exiting or entering the cage.

Lawrence Ruskin
01-21-2012, 04:33 PM
Like 6 inch by 6 inch concrete mesh?

Or smaller.

Would you need it top and bottom?

Robert Gary Parkes
01-21-2012, 05:15 PM
First, I NEVER listen to radio.. AM or FM, it is 80% adds and 20% crap. Don't even have one hooked up. I will change my ground wire its 30 years old. Speakers are beside the amps and about 8 feet away, with good pink cable.
I will move the whole kit and caboodle into the next room and try that too.
will try a power conditioner, and that speaker wire thingamajig..and keep you posted as to the results.
As to radiation? I was brought up in the Pacific Northwest in the 50s and 60s less than 300 clicks from Hanford, and when the USA and Russia were venting cores, and exploding a-bombs above and below ground and in space, hundreds of them.. I remember when you could stick your foot in a box at the mall and look and see your bones...whats a little transformer gonna do that all that hasn't already...

Steve Stadelman
01-21-2012, 05:32 PM
A good quality surge suppressor might do the trick.

Pete VanderLaan
01-22-2012, 05:51 AM
They had those x-ray boxes at Buster Brown Shoestores. My dad, doctor would never let us stick our feet in them.

Ted Trower
01-22-2012, 08:38 AM
A good quality surge suppressor might do the trick.

Steve is right. a good UPS will smooth out and filter any signal that is leaking back into the line voltage.

Rosanna Gusler
01-22-2012, 09:40 AM
Steve is right. a good UPS will smooth out and filter any signal that is leaking back into the line voltage. and a bad UPS will throw your package over the wall. rosanna. sorry.

Lawrence Ruskin
01-22-2012, 10:21 AM
I have a good system at my place.

Instead of using the little speakers that come with your computer I plug two jacks into the holes where the sound comes out of and then go into a reverse splitter.

from the reverse splitter I go to a wire that can be plugged into say the aux or phono input of and old stereo amp that you can easily find at garage sales.

The amps that were made in the 70s are the best. I have a pioneer.

So now all you do is run speakers to wherever you want like your studio. I have my whole house set up this way.

I use built in speakers.

Then you go to a site like Radio Paradise and you get excellent music all the time.

You can crank this system 'till the furniture starts to bounce around...

Brice Turnbull
01-22-2012, 05:37 PM
All you guys with your fancy-schmancy 'electrical' equipment!
Sheesh,
you can see how complicated it all becomes, and still you think the solution is to make it more complicated...

Aren't there any under employed musicians or music students in your towns? We're full of them here, and they're always looking for a place to set up the washtub bass and kazoo!

Although I'll warn you that if they bring a violin student along, your best course of action is to kindly explain that you'd love to host them, but you are making special pieces today which require an additional assistant in the hotshop (to run a mop or whatever), and your spare helper called in sick, so if one of the band members has good individual finger dexterity you'll need to borrow their helping hands or else there won't be any glassblowing, and hence no 'free' audience for them to play to today.

Works great! No buzz from all that electrified 'stereo' razza-matazz.

...except for the whiners who always need "another glass of water".
All those egos in one place, geez... I'm surprised they could even fit all their big heads into one buggy to drive over here..... next thing you know they'll be wanting bathroom breaks or a fan or something. harumpf.

Pete VanderLaan
01-22-2012, 06:05 PM
and a bad UPS will throw your package over the wall. rosanna. sorry.
That was Fed Ex...

Greg Vriethoff
01-22-2012, 07:32 PM
I remember when you could stick your foot in a box at the mall and look and see your bones...
My dad told me about these once. According to this site (http://www.museumofquackery.com/devices/shoexray.htm), there was one found still being used in a store in the early 80's.

Makes me wonder if there's any others out there in some podunk town still being used.

I also like how it was designed by the same guy that designed the Wienermobile.

Greg Vriethoff
01-22-2012, 07:34 PM
Just put your tinfoil hat on David. It'll be O.K..

Ted Trower
01-22-2012, 09:10 PM
Like 6 inch by 6 inch concrete mesh?

Or smaller.

Would you need it top and bottom?

Smaller.

You need full enclosure, top bottom and sides. The smaller the mesh the more effective the blockage of RF energy. It's not likely that a single frequency is the problem. Keep in mind that the problem can be in any of the electronics, not just the transformer. Switching devices that operate at high frequencies are notorious offenders, as are resistive device like rheostats.

Steve Stadelman
01-22-2012, 10:00 PM
Smaller.

You need full enclosure, top bottom and sides. The smaller the mesh the more effective the blockage of RF energy. It's not likely that a single frequency is the problem. Keep in mind that the problem can be in any of the electronics, not just the transformer. Switching devices that operate at high frequencies are notorious offenders, as are resistive device like rheostats.

This interference is totally from the S.C.R. The transformer actually filters a lot out.

Eben Horton
01-22-2012, 11:45 PM
Most radio stations stream over the Internet. Get a headphone jack with 2 RCA jacks and plug into the auxiliary ports in your stereo. Problem solved.

Robert Gary Parkes
01-23-2012, 07:44 PM
Brice, my "electrical equipment" is not "fancy schmancy"
It is the basic form of stereo amplification, one step up from
when you're grandfather (i assume) had an amp with tubes..
I am trying to find a solution to a problem occurring in my Studio.
And I am attempting to use this forum to solve it.
I am surprised by the vase directions this thread has achieved,
but also thankful to those who have injected comments and possible solutions to the original problem that I posted.
As of today, I am defeated, after purchasing a (returnable) product.
which according to the manufacturer, would solve my problem.
I now stand mute..
I will now attempt to sing while I work.

Lawrence Ruskin
01-24-2012, 10:10 AM
You should run your cable to your shop and stick the system I was talking about together. low cost, no commercials, and you can run music around the whole place.

My whole house is filled with music if I want it that way.

I even have a wire running to ear phone jacks so I can listen to music while I'm grinding.

Come out and have a look. If you give me some warning, Ill make you lunch.

Lawrence Ruskin
01-24-2012, 10:40 AM
As well, I have a strait amp/ speaker system in the studio right beside the same furnace system you have and I ain't got no stinking hum.

you wired wrong...

Lawrence Ruskin
01-24-2012, 11:07 AM
phone up centurian electric, he even lives in your part of the world.

He fixed my SCR on my last furnace and started my Stadel Mini

Pete VanderLaan
01-24-2012, 03:01 PM
It's that low class Calgary electricity sneaking over the province line again...

Robert Gary Parkes
01-26-2012, 09:43 AM
explain "wired wrong"
and your Moly can't be drawing the same power as mine.. or does it?
I will be out for lunch when I see no snow...

Lawrence Ruskin
01-26-2012, 11:01 AM
You got snow, Eskimo Moe?

Out her the grass is growing and the birdies are chirping.

That cold snap was a pain in the butt, froze my hummingbird feeders.

Don't like cold!

Robert Gary Parkes
01-28-2012, 12:06 PM
apparently my transformer was not grounded, when it was installed...idiots!
and my sound system was not grounded ..(idiot me)
grounded now...alls back to normal I suppose.. until the guy down the road turns his grow op back on..

Lawrence Ruskin
01-28-2012, 12:21 PM
yep, sounded like a ground hum.

Did you get that Centurian guy to fix it?