PDA

View Full Version : Our new studio - update...

Mark Bickers
01-21-2012, 03:13 PM
Hi All

Just thought I would give a quick update on our new studio and some of our findings with the Cerama 'egg' furnace.

We have used it for production blowing for the last month (5 charges) blowing 4 days of the week. It seems to be working quite well at the moment, we are getting good glass out at the moment, although I think we can improve it to excellent with time. The furnace is very quiet and good to work out of...most of our production lights are 1 large gather and we can get these out of a pretty empty pot.

I have been doing fuel usage comparisons with a good friend of mine who is running a self built free standing pot furnace. At the weekend (i.e furnace on its own) his used around 58.00 while we used 33.00 of natural gas (5.00pm Fri - 8.30am Mon).....don't suppose anybody else has any ideas of there consumption figures for a comparative amount of time? I can get the actual units used rather than the sterling cost, just don't have them to hand at the moment.

There are definitely things that I would have done slightly differently if I had made the furnace, but then I am left knowing that if I had made the furnace it would full of issues anyway (you should see my self build pipe warmer!!)

If anyone finds themselves anywhere near us in the UK, please feel free to drop by for a cuppa and a sit down on the studios battered chesterfield sofa!

Pete VanderLaan
01-21-2012, 04:47 PM
I am coming to England for three days at the end of March/April 2nd to see Brian and Scott. If I have time, I'll look you up.

Mark Bickers
01-22-2012, 01:08 PM
Pete, you are more than welcome anytime..our details are on our website

All the best

Mark

Scott Novota
01-23-2012, 09:01 AM
What you mean I could somehow trick my wife into going to London to see a glass shop?

I have a whole new outlook on my vacations now.

Mark Rosenbaum
01-23-2012, 10:17 AM
What you mean I could somehow trick my wife into going to London to see a glass shop?

I have a whole new outlook on my vacations now.

There's more than one there Scott! I spent a summer over there a long time back, and it was a great experience!
Why don't you go for the Glass Studio European tour, or better yet, World Tour!!!:D

Scott Novota
01-23-2012, 02:15 PM
Hell I still have to do the NO tour.

When are you going to be around for me to come harrass you. You could put me to work....I am cheap.