PDA

View Full Version : New Shades

Sandy Dukeshire
01-24-2012, 11:16 AM
Its time to weld up a little heat shield to the yoke in front of the glory hole. I would like to add a piece of dark glass. The welding supply has 8,9,10, and 11 on the shelf. They all looked pretty dark, and I think poor Earl would be bummed if I started taking them out of the packages to get a good look. What shade # is good?

John Riepma
01-24-2012, 12:08 PM
Sandy, something else that you may want to consider is a screen heat shield. Simple window screen works amazingly well for blocking the majority of the radiant heat/light and still allows you to see through a larger area perfectly well. Try it with a small removable window screen to see what I mean. And make sure it's the aluminum screen, not the plastic...;)

Pete VanderLaan
01-24-2012, 02:58 PM
You don't need darker than a #3 Sandy. If you can get the larger squares used in a welding hood and then mount that in lead came from a stained glass supply it works well. John is right about how simple a thing the shield can become.

Kenny Pieper
01-24-2012, 03:47 PM
Sandy I am pretty sure that I have a #3 in mine. I found that if you put a piece of Pyrex in front of the welding glass it will keep it from cracking.

Barb Sanderson
01-24-2012, 08:46 PM
I echo John on the screen - simple, cost effective and easy!
Barb

Ron Mynatt
01-24-2012, 11:19 PM
Sandy ,McMaster and Carr have brass or bronze screens that I have used .If you get a 24" * 12 " section of it you can hide behind it to avoid the heat. I put mine on a roller hanging from the ceiling so that I could use it on both my large and small glory holes.You might want to put it at an angle so that the top corner sticks out over your yoke a little . Get a screen with I think a 200 screen mesh size . The item number was 9228T639. This way you can see thru it easily but yet be shielded from the heat at the same time.

Charles Friedman
01-25-2012, 12:15 PM
I use a #3 large squares sandwiched between the layers of glass, recycled from a self-cleaning oven door. Very cheap source of Pyrex sheets.

Sandy Dukeshire
01-27-2012, 09:10 PM
thanks for all the tips and tricks! #3 it is!
must get away from wearing 2 (sometimes 3...) pairs of glasses at once