PDA

View Full Version : filling LP gas cylinders

Paul Hayworth
01-24-2012, 07:58 PM
any one try thishttp://www.navagear.com/2009/08/27/how-to-refill-disposable-propane-cylinders/

Barb Sanderson
01-24-2012, 09:38 PM
Hey Paul thanks for this link! I'd love to know if anyone has tried it but I'm willing to give it a go! I HATE tossing all those MAPP gas canisters that still have gas in them!
Barb

Gary Guydosh
01-25-2012, 06:00 PM
Yes I have one and use it from time to time - when I can find it. It works fine, but the valve is pushed in. I do not like that you do not know what the pressure is in the little tank.

Pete VanderLaan
01-26-2012, 07:37 AM
Yes I have one and use it from time to time - when I can find it. It works fine, but the valve is pushed in. I do not like that you do not know what the pressure is in the little tank.
Which is another way of saying this is seriously dangerous.

Sky Campbell
01-26-2012, 08:55 AM
Those small lp bottles all have a pressure relief valve built into the tank. When your filling a small bottle from a larger one it can only equalize pressure. You will never completely fill one of those small lp bottles this way so I don't see how it can be that unsafe.

Lawrence Ruskin
01-26-2012, 10:28 AM
I remember got one of my barbecue sized tanks filled up at a gas station one cold winter day.

Took it down to my lovely warm hot shop.

Hooked up the hand torch

'Bout 1/2 hour later the relief valve opens and out shoots a stream of propane gas.

Grabbed the tank and torch and headed out the door.

End of problem but, I'll never get my little tank filled on a cold day again

Steve Stadelman
01-26-2012, 01:16 PM
which is another way of saying this is seriously dangerous.

+1.........

Scott Novota
01-26-2012, 02:19 PM
I guess I just don't get the need.

I use the hell out of those little guys and a 12 pack will last me all of a year.

We are talking about 60 bucks for a whole year. I don't see the point.

Pete VanderLaan
01-26-2012, 02:22 PM
I love it when you guys get on the cover of "Firehouse Magazine".

Steve Stadelman
01-26-2012, 02:50 PM
This kind of thing is grist for stories we tell at the firhouse for years following the actual incident...........really.

Pete VanderLaan
01-26-2012, 04:33 PM
I still remember the one that took down an entire warehouse in Pennsylvania. A guy decided to move a full 250 gal cylinder on a forklift full inside the building. They heard it four miles away when he dropped it and broke the valve. 1985, I still remember . Even Fire Engineering covered it.

Sky Campbell
01-26-2012, 06:39 PM
Well I hope the fire house jabs come from the talk of having a propane tank in the building. I really don't see the danger of filling one of those 1lb tanks. I was introduced to it many years ago from a lampworking friend who set up in the malls. Fire marshal said ok for the 1lb cylinders but no way on a 2Olb BBQ tanks.

I was filling 100lbs cilinders off a 1000gallon tank for a good while to feed another shop but that's another story and yes tanks always outside.

Steve Stadelman
01-26-2012, 11:13 PM
Well I hope the fire house jabs come from the talk of having a propane tank in the building. I really don't see the danger of filling one of those 1lb tanks. .

The danger you don't see is the one that bites you isn't it?

Pete VanderLaan
01-27-2012, 02:01 AM
If people had just used common sense in their lives, I would never have had a full time good paying job in the fire service.

Sky Campbell
01-27-2012, 08:51 AM
Here's some interesting info:
http://www.gizmology.net/dot39.htm

Good to know. Buy your 1lb (refillable) cilinders from Lowes, Sears or Ace.

Dave Bross
01-27-2012, 09:09 PM
That info guarantees I won't try it.

Metal fatigue I understand.

I don't like how close to the edge they are new, never mind expanding and contracting them on a refill.

Barb Sanderson
01-27-2012, 09:12 PM
OK so now I'm scared.....guess I won't give it a try - THANKS~
Barb

Sky Campbell
01-27-2012, 11:44 PM
That info guarantees I won't try it.

Metal fatigue I understand.

I don't like how close to the edge they are new, never mind expanding and contracting them on a refill.

That paper is referring to actually filling the cylinders full. You can not do that by equalizing pressure between two tanks at best you will maybe fill it 2/3rds before the gas fills the tank alowing no more liquid to enter.

The big one that got me was that if you buy the correct tanks (they look identical) They are heat treated reinforced and designed to be refilled.

I have little use for this but somehow thru past experience felt the need to chime in and question it's safety. I don't think I will be filling any little bottles either Dave but I like to know what's up.

Rahman Anderson
01-28-2012, 12:10 AM
ummmmm... isn't the pressure only related to the outside temperature regardless of how full it is? I had a 100#, 23 gallon tank filled at my local hardware store. They put over 28 gallons into it. It was fine until it sat (yes inside) in the hotshop for an hour...boom! I am lucky the pilot one the torch was not going or I would not be here. At -30 a propane tank will be at 5 psi. at 100 degrees it will be at 200 psi. I don't think it matters the size of the tank or how full it is.

Pete VanderLaan
01-28-2012, 06:39 AM
And the OPM valve should kick in but doesn't necessarily. I had a 25 lb bottle do what Rahman described. I had to put it out in the driveway and open the valve.

This is one of those "Your first mistake may well be your last mistake"

Rahman Anderson
01-28-2012, 07:26 PM
The 100# bottles do not need the overfill protection.

David Patchen
01-28-2012, 09:07 PM
They put over 28 gallons into it. It was fine until it sat (yes inside) in the hotshop for an hour...boom! I am lucky the pilot one the torch was not going or I would not be here.

Did the tank explode? There was no overpressure valve? Sounds like a potential IED.

Rahman Anderson
01-28-2012, 10:17 PM
Yes it does! No combustion. I was lucky to only have white clouds of propane and the sound of peeling metal.

Pete VanderLaan
01-29-2012, 06:22 AM
You know, if you haven't been in the exploding propane business, you just don't appreciate how big the explosion actually is.

It's really big.

Franklin Sankar
01-29-2012, 06:50 AM
Maybe this is why they don't allow us to refill anything. But then we don't hav cold weather most of the time. Last night it was down to 89 inside outside was freezing at 85.
Franklin

Pete VanderLaan
01-29-2012, 07:50 AM
I once watched a guy towing a 100lb bottle on the back of a motorcycle from Kahalua down to Hana on a trash cart.. I am continually amazed.

Greg Vriethoff
02-05-2012, 09:34 PM
When I lived in West Africa we had to use butane cylinders (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:ButaneGasCylinder_WhiteBack.jpg) to power our cooking stove (no NG lines).

I'll never forget the first time I saw a guy with one of those on the back of his moped riding on a bumpy dirt road. One hand holding onto the cylinder, steering with the other. The best part was the lit cigarette dangling in his mouth.