View Full Version : wine bottle stoppers

Art Ciccotti
01-30-2012, 01:54 PM
I recently was asked if I made wine bottle stoppers. Ive never made these. The kind I am thinking about have some sort of stainless tappered bottom. It looks like the glass part is glued on to the stainless part. Has anyone made these? Is there a supplier for the stainless bottom parts?What sort of epoxy is used to join the two halves together? Thanks for your help.
Art Ciccotti

Dave Hilty
01-30-2012, 02:23 PM
Art, do a search of the archives on this topic as it was well-covered in the last couple of years or so. I don't have time to fill you in at the moment but if the search fails, I'll get you some feedback later.

Randy Kaltenbach
01-30-2012, 04:18 PM
I think that sources are listed in the Classified Ads / Opportunities forum

Rick Wilton
01-30-2012, 05:28 PM
I've seen people make blown glass pieces that fit into these. http://www.leevalley.com/US/wood/page.aspx?p=63168&cat=1,250,43243,50237

Pete VanderLaan
01-30-2012, 06:38 PM
I actually make decanters. I always hand grind the stopper to fit. It is entirely hot tooled glass.

Jeremy Griffith
01-31-2012, 07:24 AM
Ruth Niles. Here is her website www.torne-lignum.com/stoppers.html

She is great to work with and everything she sells is her design and machined in the USA.

Art Ciccotti
02-02-2012, 02:31 PM
So Pete for the stoppers you make are they like the kind that are typically made for perfume bottles? I thinking of a teardrop of glass type of thing?

Mark Bickers
02-02-2012, 02:48 PM
Like Pete, Bob Crooks who I used to work for hand ground in the pegs of stoppers like these http://www.bobcrooks.com/production07.html

It was a quick wizz on a diamond flexy band on the lathe and then a bit of 320 grit to grind them in the bottle

Michael Ahlefeldt-Laurvig
02-03-2012, 07:01 AM
If you want to make glass stoppers , there are diamond tools that go in a drillpress for doing that, both male and female for grinding the bottle and stopper

Art Ciccotti
02-03-2012, 03:26 PM
Who makes these diamond tools?
Art Ciccotti

Michael Ahlefeldt-Laurvig
02-04-2012, 06:33 AM
I get them at Essemce here in Sweden. There is a wide variety of sizes and tapers available. Dont be fooled by essemces web pages -doesent look like they have much, but they supply a lot of equipment and tools to the glass industry