PDA

View Full Version : Organic art

Franklin Sankar
02-05-2012, 07:01 AM
I am trying to find out what is the true meaning of organic art. Ie if there is a real meaning. Is it near to the real thing or is it a representation of the real thing or is it near to nature or is it......
Franklin
Ps lets stick to the glass art.

Pete VanderLaan
02-05-2012, 07:02 AM
Organic art has to be keep in the refrigerator.

Dave Bross
02-05-2012, 01:51 PM
The actual basis for the term "organic" is that it would involve carbon.

The word has traveled farther from its origins than an off topic discussion here.

Pete VanderLaan
02-05-2012, 02:04 PM
Grown organically is what then based on that definition? The pesticides have to contain carbon?

Rich Samuel
02-05-2012, 02:16 PM
It doesn't get more organic than this:

http://weburbanist.com/2010/12/19/poop-culture-11-examples-of-excellent-excrement-art/

:D :D :D

Tom Fuhrman
02-05-2012, 02:55 PM
Franklin: there is no real meaning of organic art just like there is no finite number to express PI. That's the best way I know of to explain it to an engineering geek. No offense against engineering geeks, they're the ones making all the $ these days and seem to be ruling our lives more on a daily basis with all there scientific and engineering breakthroughs.
Everyone will have their own interpretation of "organic art", expecially as it relates to glass.

Lawrence Ruskin
02-05-2012, 03:55 PM
Jeez, you guys, shouldn't you be out turning your gardens ready for spring, or something better that doing bizarre stuff on the internet.

Get to work....

Pete VanderLaan
02-05-2012, 04:19 PM
. No offense against engineering geeks, they're the ones making all the $ these days and seem to be ruling our lives .
Au Contraire. The pipe makers are making all the money.

Dave Hilty
02-05-2012, 04:54 PM
Franklin, not being art schooled, so I have no knowledge of the "official" meaning, I'll tell you how we use the term. When we say this piece is organic or these works have an organic feel, it's really shorthand for describing the work as loose and flowing, without highly structured decoration or form. Or at least not making it real obvious that tooling and human intervention created the work.

Some forms (like a tall tear-drop shaped vase) can look very organic as though you just let the piece drop or swing out on the pipe whereas if you do a tightly structured pattern of engraved cold work or elaborate and intricate cane decoration on the surface it can have a less organic look to it.

My use of the term for what it's worth.

Franklin Sankar
02-05-2012, 05:53 PM
Thanks for the replies. So if I make a flower that is not aa real flower is that organic?
Pushing it off the edge again. Wont it have more meaning if it resembles a real flower? I mean real is better than fake.?????
Dave Hilty this is my art school. The things they dont teach you in the real one. Opps i dont meant this is a fake one. Better go before i get in trouble.
Franklin

Dave Bross
02-05-2012, 07:59 PM
I suppose you could say anything resembling nature would fill the bill on "organic" art.

If someone heads into the oooh-so-picky end of things....all our glass results from someone, somewhere, torching off some carbon. So there.

Categorizing art with vague terms tends to end up like one of Richs' sculptures...which is why professional critics are so wonderfully verbose.

The pipe makers really do have it made. It's enough of a crime to import pipes that it doesn't happen very often.

Buy American...?

Franklin Sankar
02-05-2012, 08:10 PM
So would you say that Paul Stankard flowers is organic? Do you think that is an insult? How would you describe his art?
Franklin

Pete VanderLaan
02-05-2012, 10:11 PM
I would describe it as highly calculated.

Franklin Sankar
02-06-2012, 07:15 AM
More Complicated .
Franklin

Tom Fuhrman
02-06-2012, 09:57 AM
Paul's work is botanical but not really that organic. as Peta mentioned, very precise and calculated,

Franklin Sankar
02-06-2012, 10:56 AM
Ok we getting there. So if it resembles the real flower it is heading away from organic. If it does not match the shape of the real flower its organic.
Franklin

Pete VanderLaan
02-06-2012, 12:32 PM
I meant financially calculated.

Cecil McKenzie
02-06-2012, 01:52 PM
Franklin... There are artists who use living things in their art work . Kansas Artist Stan Hurd makes large portraits or still life paintings in large fields by planting different plants in a fashion similar to using murrini's in a paperweight to make a design.

Organic in terms of art is an adjective used to describe the types of forms used in the art work. This site has a variety of definitions of this characteristic of art or design.
http://en.mimi.hu/finearts/organic.html

Art Nouveau would generally be described as "organic" whereas Art Deco uses more geometric hard edged elements. In thinking about Paul Stankard's flower inspired weights their relative realism isn't an issue as to whether they are "organic " in "art speak" . Naturalistic or realistic would be better terms to use I would think. I hope this makes some sense to you.

Franklin Sankar
02-06-2012, 08:16 PM
Thanks Cecil. I guess you have to choose the meaning. Yes it is a big help to match it like you did.
Now how can I agitate Henry to speak.
Franklin

Richard Huntrods
02-07-2012, 12:41 AM
Organic is usually taken to mean "reminding one of the shapes of nature" - things like fibonnacci series and so on (i.e. nautilus shell). Also usually means lacking in sharp corners. But it's also not imitating the whole object - that is you don't make the flower but rather follow the shape of the stem blowing in the breeze.

At least that's what "organic" ususally meant when I was taking classes.

Just like "funky" really means "oops".

Franklin Sankar
02-07-2012, 11:17 AM
I like that one Richard. Following nature. yes, lets see someone follow cow urine. Yech.
Franklin

Pete VanderLaan
02-07-2012, 12:43 PM
That would be Robert Maplethorpe , highly popular in conservative circles.

Dave Bross
02-08-2012, 06:06 AM
Actually...behind closed doors...those ol' conservatives probably like their kinky fun.

Lawrence Ruskin
02-08-2012, 06:13 PM
Did someone just delete a post here, just when things were getting weirder?

Pete VanderLaan
02-08-2012, 07:33 PM
No, it was just a quiet time to pause and contemplate about the man in the sky.

Dave Bross
02-09-2012, 10:46 AM
Or go look at Maplethorpes' work.....controversial to say the least. It may be difficult to find his most famous stuff online due to the content. Think "leather" in places you never thought it would go.

or

Keep moving....nothing to see here....