View Full Version : Adhesive for wood to glass bond

James Anderegg
02-07-2012, 08:19 AM
I am starting a collaberation with a wood worker. I need to find a strong and permanent adhesive for a glass to wood bond. I have done a fair amount of research online but, I am still not sure what the best option is. I will be making some larger wood/glass sculptures and really need a strong adhesive. I also need a permanent adhesive as I would hate to have a bond fail after 20 years.

So my hope is that some of you might have the answer for me. Thank you for any and all help.


Rosanna Gusler
02-07-2012, 09:04 AM
indoors/outdoors, in sun/not in sun, humidity, temp variations, need clear adhesive ? i would go with adhesives engineered for marine use. the new g-flex from west system is a great 2 part epoxy. rosanna

James Anderegg
02-07-2012, 09:45 AM
The finished pieces will be indoors. I do not need the adhesive to be clear. Thank you for the input. The g-flex 650-8 looks like a great choice.

I also forgot to mention that glass will be at about a 200 grit finish where it makes a union to the wood. I could even leave the glass at a 80 grit finish if needed.

Further suggestions are welcome.

Pete VanderLaan
02-07-2012, 11:42 AM
I would seal the wood first and then you could consider hxtal. It's strong and clear . I don't know how much it would be absorbed by the wood.

Eben Horton
02-07-2012, 11:47 AM
west systems makes a flexible epoxy..

Rosanna Gusler
02-07-2012, 12:19 PM
I would seal the wood first and then you could consider hxtal. It's strong and clear . I don't know how much it would be absorbed by the wood. the only problem with 'sealing' the wood first is that the sealer can become your weak link . west/geougon sp products like g-flex can be thinned as a sealer/penetrating first layer in the wood. this adhesive is really really good. it is not moisture sensitive (will actually cure under water) and will bond oily wood . when connecting to wood i like to have mechanical as well as chemical(glue) bonds if possible. holes drilled into the wood and filled with thickened 'glue' become bolts after cure. west products would also make a good sealer for hxtal or whatever as well. great company with great products and awsome tech support. rosanna http://www.gougeon.com/

Eben Horton
02-07-2012, 05:38 PM

Rosanna Gusler
02-07-2012, 06:18 PM
yep thats the stuff. a glass friend started using it for earring backs and says that when he tests findings to failure that he has had the glass itself give it up. he roughens the glass first. i loves me some g-flex. i am lucky to work with a couple of the origonal west employees/crew here in wanchese. they have some pretty cool stories. rosanna

James Anderegg
02-07-2012, 08:16 PM
Thanks for all the replies. I am going to give the g-flex a try.

Rosanna Gusler
02-08-2012, 08:34 AM
don't just order it. call the company and chat around. ask for whatever literature they will stuff in the box and also ask for any samples as well. get signed up for their pub 'epoxyworks' (i think). they also have an awsome hardcover book available. the 'glues' themselves are great but the additives for the glues : fibers, carbon, high and low density fillers .... allow you to do damn near anything. oh , read the whole instruction sheet that comes with the g-fles. many great tips n tricks on that little sheet especially the one on how to use a torch to swap molecules on the surface of plastic to allow for a permanent glue bond. rosanna

Pringle Teetor
02-08-2012, 08:56 AM
Will this work on threaded steel to glass as well? I'm doing some outdoor sculptural pieces and am using plumbing putty and marine epoxy but not sure how it will do over time. I need to make the jump to blowing on copper pipe but haven't taken that bull by the horns.......

Rosanna Gusler
02-08-2012, 10:23 AM
if you are asking me, there is not much that can not be bonded with west products. just curious..how would you blow on copper? slip a copper pipe over the steel one? EMNTK. rosanna

Pringle Teetor
02-10-2012, 08:19 AM
by using copper pipe as your blowpipe and cutting the end off with a pipe cutter to anneal

David Hopman
02-16-2012, 12:58 PM
Thanks so much for suggesting this product. Picked some up at the local Marine supply place and it works great, and $20 for 8 ounces was a happy surprise.

Alex Leader
02-28-2012, 11:36 AM
Try E-6000 they sell it at tap plastics.

David Hopman
02-28-2012, 01:16 PM
They also sell E-6000 at WalMart for $2.65 a tube. It's in the craft dept.