PDA

View Full Version : Glass Manufacture and the Glass Sand Industry of P

Tom Clifton
02-10-2012, 07:40 PM
This may be old hat to many of you, but searching the archives here I didn't see it.

it is a Google book that you can download as a PDF
Glass Manufacture and the Glass Sand Industry of Pennsylvania
By Charles Reinhard Fettke
Richard R. Hice, State Geologist
Topographic and Geologic Survey of Pennsylvania
Pub 1919 443 Pages
Google Books

here (http://books.google.com/books?id=qd8gAAAAMAAJ&pg=PA147&source=gbs_toc_r&cad=4#v=onepage&q&f=false)

Also during the search I saw a posting about Scholes "Modern Glass Practice" 'not being readable' The 1952 edition has been reviewed as more readable than the 1975 version. I am devouring the book. My own formal education is woefully shy of chemistry and physics, but Scholes seems very thorough and comprehendable to me. Admittedly some of the materiel is dated, but I have learned more from that book than from anything else I have read. Glass Notes as a book is remarkable, but Scholes is adding considerable depth to what I understand.

The pioneers in this crowd already know this, but I thought it was well worth mentioning

I paid under $10 on Amazon for my copy (plus $4 shipping...)

Hugh Jenkins
02-11-2012, 02:04 AM
If you got Scholes for $10 you scored!!!

Pete VanderLaan
02-11-2012, 06:05 AM
Around here, when people say "It's unreadable", they mean it's hard to understand I suspect.

Which it's not. Weyl on the other hand....

Rollin Karg
02-11-2012, 07:01 AM
When i first found a copy in the Wichita State Univ. Library it was brand new and had never been checked out. By the time I got my own copy I had worn out theirs. Very good stuff.

Pete VanderLaan
02-11-2012, 07:49 AM
My copy of Hodkin & Cousen "Handbook of Glass Maufacturing "was last checked out of the State of New Mexico library in 1936. I have it now. It is not missed I'm sure.