PDA

View Full Version : bees wax fumes

David Russell
02-17-2012, 03:26 PM
would anyone care to share any knowledge as to how dangerous repeated exposure to bees wax fumes can be?

How about the Gott steamer, all that cant just be steam. does the graphite in fiber form offgas?

Jordan Kube
02-17-2012, 03:58 PM
Neither of them can be as bad as a face-full of newspaper smoke. Maybe I'm wrong.

Pete VanderLaan
02-17-2012, 05:08 PM
Given how long a steamer can last, which seems like forever, It can't be decaying much. If you get beeswax direct from the hive, the smell in the studio is wonderful. Jordan is right I think. Try good ventilation.

Given the things in the studio which are toxic, like any lead based glass powders and loose fiber , I suspect your concerns might be unnecessary. Alcohol and tobacco are still the things killing glassworkers.

David Russell
02-17-2012, 05:21 PM
it is really more of a curiousity i have been uing the steam pad for a dozen years or so and just wondered, i couldnt imagine going back to paper. I do get fresh beeswax locally, it is so cheap from the honey man. I see all the smoke go the way of the fan it had just been in the back of mind and now its not. thanks guys.....

Pete VanderLaan
02-17-2012, 06:46 PM
It's the guys who fume with a paint sprayer right in the middle of the shop that scare me. It happens more than you would think..

Dave Hilty
02-17-2012, 07:14 PM
When it gets right down to my real reason for blowing glass, it's the opportunity to smell bees wax fumes...heaven...I only hope that fragrance is available where ever I land once it kills me.

Ray Laubs
02-18-2012, 04:25 AM
Ive been known to put a drop or two in my graphite molds - just for the smell.

Pete VanderLaan
02-18-2012, 05:57 AM
When it gets right down to my real reason for blowing glass, it's the opportunity to smell bees wax fumes...heaven...I only hope that fragrance is available where ever I land once it kills me.
They have a tin chloride spray as a mister in Hell.

Allan Gott
02-18-2012, 10:09 AM
How about the Gott steamer, all that cant just be steam. does the graphite in fiber form offgas?

Au contraire...100% steam release.....processing temps for the felt are in excess of 3000F........none of our materials or appliances operate in that range

...and ditto on the beeswax.......

BTW...for true coffee freaks.......try pouring a little of your favorite brew on a Hand Shaping Pad prior to use for a truly excellent olfactory experience

David Russell
02-18-2012, 06:29 PM
thanks allan, have been a happy user of steamer for quite a while, just had always wondered...... i hear about the monster size but no one seems to have them in stock when i inquire, what are those dimensions?

Lawrence Duckworth
02-19-2012, 09:54 AM
MSDS (material safety data sheet ) can help with stuff like that.
(Borax. Soda. Xyleen. Etc.)

I want a tall Gott steamer.....

Pete VanderLaan
02-19-2012, 10:24 AM
I want a tall Gott steamer.....

With a double shot of expresso?

Ben Solwitz
02-19-2012, 12:11 PM
I'd like mine vegan, with free range soybeans.

Allan Gott
02-24-2012, 07:50 AM
i hear about the monster size

Not quite Monster.....just Gorilla.......I think Hugh helped me coin the designation.......they are 9" X 10"......best acquired directly from me since they are a low volume item, too low for most of my distributors to carry

Scott Novota
02-24-2012, 08:19 AM
Yea? I do love mine....it is getting on the thin side now tho...about time to re-up.