PDA

View Full Version : Jack marks and carnival warning

Franklin Sankar
02-20-2012, 01:48 PM
If I keep waxing the jacks will it leave stains. I am getting fussy about these nasty marks in the glass, don't know wher they are coming from.
I keep getting a nasty ring when I fire polish the part where the jack was attached. The glass boils I think. is there any way to stop it?
I was happy blowing glass and took a break to watch
http://carnivalinfo.com/trinidad-carnival-live-video-stream-2012/
Now I can't go back to blow glass I keep seeing visions of ..Sorry cant tell.....I put the link here to warn you not or look,it will affect your vision. Sorry Pete I will edit out this section later.

Franklin

Rosanna Gusler
02-20-2012, 02:18 PM
wow franklin! what fun! wish i was there shaking my stuff. (OOooh that is a scarey thought. oh well, we were all cute when we were new) rosanna

Dave Bross
02-20-2012, 02:38 PM
Hey now, there's some old and some GREAT BIG stuff shakin' there.
I love the "we were all cute when we were new"

Brings fond memories of the summer solstice and drag queen parades in Seattle.

Franklin,

Thanks for the carnival stream! cool! All we're doing here is presidents day. Yaaaaaawn.

OK, back on topic for just a second...

Are you working hot enough that you're not sawing at the glass with the jacks?

No rust on the jacks, right?

If OK on those two try some cooking oil on the jacks instead of the wax.

Pete VanderLaan
02-20-2012, 03:28 PM
What Dave said.

Franklin Sankar
02-20-2012, 03:49 PM
Yes I do and I am trying to work hotter but I get careless at times . When I hear th sound it is too late so what can I do at that time to save it? can I still save it. Does it mean that there is not enough wax so when I hear it grind I should put more wax.
Can I remove the grime from the piece? The jack is not rusted, the blade is not shining but it does not look like rust.
Will the wax leave a stain?
Tomorrow it's going to be the big mass on stage.
Franklin

Stephen Bishop
02-20-2012, 05:10 PM
HOT GOOD! COLD BAD! Practice making clear pieces! Clear glass is unforgiving with tool marks!

Pete VanderLaan
02-20-2012, 05:47 PM
Wear ear protection.

Dave Bross
02-21-2012, 06:04 AM
Hotter hotter hotter hotter hotter hotter hotter hotter hotter hotter

Franklin Sankar
02-21-2012, 06:33 AM
Thanks Dave. Best advice but Can i share this...I interpreted work Hotter a bit differently. I was keeping the piece in the glory hole longer to get hotter. That brought a whole set of new pain. Then Tom told me to increase the temperature in the furnace and the GH. That made a big difference.
Charles made a great looking paperweight and was torturing the hell out of it. He said he was fire polishing it to remove the tool marks. What tool marks? I had no idea what tool marks were. But i wanted mine to look like his so I danced twice around the bench and tortured the hell out of my piece. Torturing mine did nothing. Yes work hotter. Now I know. The encasements are a lot better now . The next phase is to figure out how to prevent it from melting. But for now I am happy with realistic art of wilted flowers.
Thanks
Franklin

Pete VanderLaan
02-21-2012, 07:55 AM
What exactly are you using for a glass body Franklin?

Are your jacks actually clean in the first place, as in bright metal? Then wx them. Use good wax. I like Carnuba. I like beeswax. I don't like shoe polish.

How hot is your gloryhole really?

Tom Fuhrman
02-21-2012, 09:54 AM
he's using Fenton FHC cullet. He has no idea how hot his GH really is.

keepin mind that he is in a basicly 3rd world country and has spent bare minimums on his endeavors over the last 8 years as the economics of living there doesn't allow much more. He has done remarkable things considered what he has been given to work with. Instrumentation on most things is non existant in T&T unless you're in the chemical business. Franklin has paid it all as he's gone along. Opportunities for selling anything in T&T are nil. He has a lot of "bumps" in the road that we don't realize unless you've been there. Just trying to get mail there can be a real challenge.
I sent him an e-mail a couple of days ago telling him that he may reached his limits based upon the equipment and materials he has. As I told him, "it's difficult to make a jet plane using a lawnmower engine."

Pete VanderLaan
02-21-2012, 11:47 AM
I am more familiar with the economics of the non tourist portion of the Caribbean than you might think Tom and I do actually know Franklin. I did a program sending surplus to the Fire Department In San Miguel, the biggest city on Cozumel back in the '80's. They loved everything we were no longer using. They had nothing. I get it. It's the same story on every Island. The people have no where to go.

So, is it dull red, is it at all yellow? Are the jacks clean and shiny?

Rahman Anderson
02-21-2012, 01:40 PM
Do have a hot torch? Oxy/propane? Very clean flame? If so get only the scum and surface layer HOT but do it quickly so it is only a fraction of an inch on the surface that is hot. Grab hot stuff with tweezers and whip it off in a clean fast motion. Be careful not to boil the stringer as it melts back in. (add heat slower with a softer flame.) Now shape out the dent made my this. Remember it has been hot torched so balance the heat a little in the whole piece before tooling too much anywhere. And I don't even make paperweights. For a clear encasement there will always be a tool mark there that needs removing to not show. No matter how hot you work or what bees made your wax from what flower on the correct south facing hillside. If you can do not tool anything but the outside and even then as little as possible. No blocking gathers just gather nice. Do as much as possible with heat and gravity. If the heat is perfect it takes very little to achieve the desired result. It is only beaten by the tool when the tools tries to compensate with force or change a colder part by touching a hotter part. (as long as the turning is on point of course.)

Rahman Anderson
02-21-2012, 01:43 PM
Same clean up for any shears.

Jordan Kube
02-22-2012, 02:29 AM
He's using the stiffest ass glass. Probably hard not to get scum, even for the pros.

Franklin Sankar
02-22-2012, 03:10 PM
Rahman you seem to understand exactly what the problems are. I will now have to practice for a year again to work out the routine. I am trying to tweez out the excess glass to make the marble round and nice while not heating it too hot to boil, soft flame takes longer but trying to hurry , pinching off the correct amount of glass, working faster so the piece dont cool down. Ahhhhh its my best piece and in the final stage, no hope of reheating because its knocked off on the pad but the tweezer did not remove the glass. More haste now, time is running out , this time i grab the knob and pull hard, the entire ppw fly up in the air and across the room. Oh well another day another ppw. Thanks for saying that there will alyays be tool marks. How to get rid of them? Flame polish I assume.

Jordan I am using some of my precious FHC this time to enjoy the feel of good glass for a change that is why I am getting fussy about the marks. My bad habits of grinding hte jack on the stiff bottle glass is not good for FHC.

Pete the Jacks are not shiny,they are blackish but no rust and not shiny, I am going to sandpaper them now. The GH is bright orange yellow.
I did not know if you really understood how bad the situation is but now I am sure you understand how much I loved Charles scrap bin. You would not believe how much I did with his scrap.

Yesterday I had to take a carnival break. So I went to take a wine and something unscrewed from my waist and two balls fell out of the socket joint and now my back is broken. Thank God its all over . Time to get back to the safety of glass.

Franklin

Pete VanderLaan
02-22-2012, 04:17 PM
The gloryhole sounds hot enough to me. Keep cleaning the tools and don' let the glass get cold at the bench. You should be able to achieve one and only one maneuver with each reheat given the FHC or it will get marred.