PDA

View Full Version : Wire rope opener for annealed

Franklin Sankar
02-20-2012, 04:07 PM
My wire rope burst. It was on a pulley to open the annealed. What do you use?
I guess it ismGod punishing me for looking at TV.
Franklin

Stephen Bishop
02-20-2012, 05:07 PM
I use coated cable. Change it out once a year, during summer maintenance. If it gets weird, blast it with silicon spray and it glides like silk.

Pete VanderLaan
02-20-2012, 05:49 PM
You should be able to get good cable at a marine supply store which there have to be a number of where you live.

Lawrence Ruskin
02-20-2012, 06:31 PM
While you're at the marine store you've got everything carefully measured you get your stainless cable put a stainless ''thimble ''on each end before you get the nice man to crimp the cable into a loop. The thimble stops the wear on the cable. Use shackles to attach the cable to the lid etc.

I would ruff the whole thing together before you crimped it.

Don't forget a heavy duty pulley.

Franklin Sankar
02-21-2012, 06:11 AM
I was always terrified of the cord bursting while my hand or head was inside the hot annealer. This near miss was not nice . My elements are in the lid.
Looking at the failure some more I believe the pulley was too small. The problem with buying things here is when you ask about specs they don't have any but will tell you yes it can do that. I asked about the small bend radius and they said yes that is ok. It failed right where the cable was bending around the pulley. I should have known better but the urgent to get the glass going was stronger.
I Am going to look out for a back up system in case the primary cable fails. Maybe a second slack cable on the side or a prop while the door is open, but how to release it with one hand.
How do you prevent your lid from falling on your hand? Opening a lid with elements is not nice. Maybe it's time to change the design and open from the front.
Thanks for the replies.
Franklin

Dave Bross
02-21-2012, 06:15 AM
Is it a heavy door? If yes, is it counterweighted?

I tore up a shoulder by repeatedly opening the (VERY HEAVY) lid on a giant pottery kiln I use for an annealer.

After seeing the "if your going to be dumb you've got to be tough" approach was a fail, (AAARGH!!!! PAIN BAD!!!) the kiln door now has a number of bricks drilled and threaded onto wire rope to counterbalance the weight of the lid.
A fairy princess could open it now with zero strain.

Sometimes I wonder why I don't make much progress dragging my knuckles and grunting at women.

Franklin Sankar
02-21-2012, 06:57 AM
Thanks Dave, but after that near miss I am a bit paranoid now. Sorry to say this but what If the wire with the brick fail. The door comes down on you? Stephan said change it out once a year. Ouch but maybe the ouch from the lid would be worst. I think some people have the same system you talk about and it works for years accidents happen but is it a hazard waiting to happen. I need to cool off.
Last day of carnival today. I think I will set my brain of fire and go into town. Look out for me on TV in Tribe (hot steaming bodies) or the artsy one Mac Farlane Carnival 2012 - Santification
Franklin

Pete VanderLaan
02-21-2012, 07:50 AM
Two words:

Two cables.

Rosanna Gusler
02-21-2012, 08:44 AM
go to whatever marina store sells to sailboat yachties. they will have good stainless/bronze rulleys and quality cable. also airplane suppliers for cable. rosanna

Tom Fuhrman
02-21-2012, 09:34 AM
getting anything of any quality in Trinidad is a challenge. Been there and tried to do it.
I use a bucket of sand or stone for my counter weight. that way I can adjust it to precisely what I need and it's very inexpensive. I also use a pulley from an old garage door opener, and even new ones are fairly inexpensive and wired up with double steel cables. sometimes redundancy is good.
Franklin: in all reality though your handle/rope was pretty sloppy construction and rather gerry rigged. Lucky it never attacked me when I used it or it would have been changed years ago.

Pete VanderLaan
02-21-2012, 09:38 AM
Maybe so but there have to be maritime suppliers in that country given all the rich people who have sailboats.

Dave Bross
02-21-2012, 10:21 AM
The bricks have two holes drilled in them so two cables. I built an arm off the back of the lid (it's horizontal) and hung the bricks from the arm. In addition to the leverage that gets them far enough out to just scrape on the back for alignment going up and down.

Randy Kaltenbach
02-21-2012, 11:14 AM
Franklin, you could always use the pulley used for clotheslines as long as you are careful to inspect it regularly for wear. Those should be cheap and accessible.

Pete VanderLaan
02-21-2012, 11:36 AM
The bricks have two holes drilled in them so two cables. I built an arm off the back of the lid (it's horizontal) and hung the bricks from the arm. In addition to the leverage that gets them far enough out to just scrape on the back for alignment going up and down.
My counterweight is a big bucket filled with nails.