PDA

View Full Version : unglueing a piece

Tom Bloyd
02-22-2012, 07:35 PM
I have a piece that is glued that I would like to get apart. It's glued with the 3m Dp 105 two part epoxy that His glass sells. I know an artist that used to bring his work up in an annealer to get his hextal apart. My question is if I take it to 300 degrees to get them apart will that introduce stress and should I reanneal? Any thoughts?

Mary Monson
02-22-2012, 10:06 PM
I have a piece that is glued that I would like to get apart. It's glued with the 3m Dp 105 two part epoxy that His glass sells. I know an artist that used to bring his work up in an annealer to get his hextal apart. My question is if I take it to 300 degrees to get them apart will that introduce stress and should I reanneal? Any thoughts?

I don't know about the dp105 but we always recommend that the piece go totally up to annealing temperature and then re-anneal the glass to relieve any stress. My thought is that would be good for any adhesive and I suspect that to break the bond, the higher the temp the better. 300 degrees would not be enough for HXTAL. Let us know what your results are.

Mary

Pete VanderLaan
02-23-2012, 06:31 AM
If you accept the given that no annealing takes place until you hit 700F or thereabouts based on individual strain point, your job is just to keep the piece from thermal shocking, which is different. Just go slow in both directions. I've taken hxtal apart at 400F. It will need repolishing.

Tom Bloyd
02-23-2012, 08:12 AM
Thanks for the input. I'll take it slowly to 400 and back down. I'll let you know how it goes. I already have a backup to the peice so it will be a good experiment.

Pete VanderLaan
02-23-2012, 11:07 AM
When you do it, plan for where the disconnected pieces are going to fall. Usually, the two pieces don't actively come apart and need to be tapped lightly with a wooden stick. But when they do come apart, it's really easy to break them. Glass around 400F is particularly susceptible to being chipped. I'm not sure why. You really do want to know that the joint has failed since if you're wrong, you have to heat it all over again.

Tom Bloyd
02-25-2012, 08:22 AM
Thanks Pete, it worked like a charm. Took to it to 400, slowly, held there for two hours, tapped it with a stick, it came apart, back down slowly. It didn't even chip.

Pete VanderLaan
02-25-2012, 09:06 AM
forty two years of breaking stuff teaches you something.