PDA

View Full Version : Andy Billeci

Greg Vriethoff
02-29-2012, 10:55 PM
I just found about this. Sad news.

http://blog.glassquarterly.com/2012/02/29/in-memoriam-remembering-andy-billeci-1933-2011/

Pete VanderLaan
03-01-2012, 04:36 AM
Indeed. Andy was one of my early influences. When we held the Hot Glass Information Exchange back in '78, we sent letters to the heads of Glass Departments at every school offering glass in the country. Price of admission to that conference was a paper on studio operation that would make it easier. Andy was the only teacher of all invited who submitted a paper and came to Boulder for a conference still talked about today.

I will miss him.

Patrick Casanova
03-01-2012, 08:29 AM
I only knew him through his reputation as being a "fantastic teacher." He was often spoken of as "the one who got me thinking in terms of glass." I think Kathleen's comments says it best... "He wanted us as his students to know glass inside out from bricks and their compositions to the science of glass and the complete understanding of melting glasses and fitting them together. He taught us among other things to love equipment, then love glass deeply, inside, get to know those molecules like family. Appreciate color, form, flow, and then back again to the equipment needed to get there."

We all benefited from his passion for glass!

Tom Fuhrman
03-01-2012, 09:24 AM
Another great one is gone. He was an unsung hero in many ways. He was one of the few that actually dealt with chemistry and all sorts of others things that Patrick mentioned and not just technique. I wish someone would have had him give him workshops, etc. in the last 10 years.

Rollin Karg
03-01-2012, 09:33 AM
A really good guy and very helpful too.It's hard to replace individuals like him.