PDA

View Full Version : cane compatibility

Mark Dolan
03-06-2012, 02:29 PM
Has anyone tested System 96 nuggets with Effetre Moretti Cane (COE 104)?

Pete VanderLaan
03-06-2012, 06:42 PM
Not all moretti is 104, some is a lot lower. There are Moretti colors that are incompatible with other Moretti colors. In general I think you're asking for trouble

David Patchen
03-06-2012, 10:42 PM
This is crazy talk. Why oh why would you try this?

Pete VanderLaan
03-07-2012, 02:46 AM
and I was trying to be nice...

Scott Novota
03-07-2012, 07:28 AM
That really was nice Pete it could have and has been much more...direct.

Mark just get the cane from Gaffer and you will not have any issues at all. If I remember correctly and you are just now getting on your feet with the new gear you are wanting to try everything and more with glass. Noble and fun but I think it is safe to say you can skip this one without risking finding a new discovery.

Gaffer has a large selection of cane and so does olympic color rods that are most likely just what you need.

I kind of feel like the new from 8 years ago that has already asked all these questions. We all start at the same spot and run a interesting if not similar path. If I am completely off, well that is nothing new either.

Good luck.

Tom Clifton
03-07-2012, 07:34 AM
Oh give Mark a break. He is trying to unravel the mysteries of a secret process used (quite succesfully I might add) by lampworkers that do this all the time.The only part of the process I have confirmed is that it usually happens as some part of testing a pipe they just made. You can see the results of their work on Etsy by searching for "Magic Exploding Beads".

Scott Novota
03-07-2012, 07:58 AM
The real question is how many of us will go look on Etsy just to see...

David Patchen
03-07-2012, 08:05 AM
No offense intended. Its just that one is stated 104 and the other 96--that tells you its not going to generally be compatable. Why even try when Gaffer makes cane as does Urobros in Sys96? Since there is cane designed to be 96 so there's no need to see what you might get to fit (and for how long).

Pete VanderLaan
03-07-2012, 08:09 AM
Oh give Mark a break. He is trying to unravel the mysteries of a secret process used (quite succesfully I might add) by lampworkers that do this all the time.The only part of the process I have confirmed is that it usually happens as some part of testing a pipe they just made. You can see the results of their work on Etsy by searching for "Magic Exploding Beads".
I recall a very close friend who made some work in the latter part of the '70's that began to methodically break up about 20 years later. It's not a matter of giving him a break, he'll get those on his own if he pursues the Moretti. This is an expensive trade and those kinds of mistakes can cost you dearly when what you make starts to break well after it has been displayed and sold. Sometimes rediscovering the wheel is really not a good plan. Try putting Kugler yellow opaques with SP87 and experience the joys of discovery yourself. That particular color is incompatible with the universe yet it still sells readily.

Tom Clifton
03-07-2012, 09:43 AM
Actually, part of this conversation may be the result of Spectrum Glass, INC. them selves. While many may 'know' it is coe-96 (or should I say Lcoe...) I myself wasn't 100% sure until I double checked. There is only one place in their literatrue where I have seen an explicit reference to the COE in the 'Why System96" brochure and in the FAQ's. The name its self may imply 96, but If that was hard and fast you should only use Phillips 66 gasoline when driving on Route 66...

And, as a very wise (and occasionally grumpy) old gaffer once told me, the only bad question is one not asked..

Pete VanderLaan
03-07-2012, 10:32 AM
Oh I know of some bad asked ones actually. I'm polite way too often actually Don't get me started on copper tubing wrapped around the outside of your furnace.