PDA

View Full Version : Silver bromide on drinking vessels?

Brice Turnbull
03-07-2012, 11:33 PM
Hello all,
I had a request from a friend recently to make a set of espresso cups, and they will ultimately be given to a friend of his in Portugaul. Apparently the espresso there comes in light tar or regular tar, so these are meant to be small, like a third-size shot glass.

The design I'd like to use has silver bromide on the surface.

Can silver bromide be a health hazard in this type of use?

Secondly, who would be qualified to determine if something like this is safe or not? I'm not sure what kind of a laboratory or other facility would know how to analyze this sort of thing....

Thanks,
Brice

Pete VanderLaan
03-08-2012, 05:36 AM
This is kind of vague. Do you mean you are just putting silver bromide on the outside of a cup with tweezers and letting it react? I am trying to figure out why you would do that since it's so ineffective without being cased in clear? Having watch silver bromide very carefully on pieces, I would be inclined to say that I think it actually could be interactive. Whether it's toxic is something different.

I have no idea what lab would get used. I can tell you it will be expensive.

Brice Turnbull
03-08-2012, 12:21 PM
Hi Pete,
yes, it's on the surface. Allowed to react with frit on the surface, it gives a crusty appearance, like the surface of stone.

I believe each salt would be mainly evaporated during the process of making the glass piece, or bound to the surface permanently, but I am not a chemist, and don't really know how to know the truth in this.

It occurred to me that beyond asking here, and searching the internet, I don't know how to determine if something is safe or not, and perhaps I should find out if I'm going to make drinking vessels.