PDA

View Full Version : Continuous Feed Furnace

Michael Mccain
03-09-2012, 11:55 AM
I'm researching Continual Feed Furnaces in anticipation for our next rebuild. As much as I grumble this company is hooked on Spectrum nuggets. Anyone have experiences they'd like to share about building/working with CFF's? Anyone see a problem with using cullet to charge in this type of furnace?

Lawrence Ruskin
03-09-2012, 12:16 PM
The dog house door is a good place to make espresso...

Kier Lugo
03-09-2012, 12:48 PM
the school i first learned at, palomar college in san marcos ca., built and ran cff's for decades. we used AZS tiles and blew spruce pine batch. rebuilds probably about every 4or so years i think. if you charge a little bit hourly and don't drain more than what the furnace can reasonably replace then it's kind of nice once it's all dialed in.

What size furnace are you thinking? if it's under 1000 lbs. then it's probably not worth considering. ours was 1000 lbs. and was kind of set up like (2) 500lb chambers with a common wall ( 2 tiles thick) with about 1" hole drilled through lower portion of that wall. charge in the back and pull from the front.

seems like most shops pulling this much glass prefer to have 2 smaller furnaces and w/ alternating charges. 2 furnaces does have some really nice advantages. two good reasons for having 2 smaller furnaces vs. 1 big cff is you can rebuild one while still using the other and if things slow down you can always shut one off.

Pete VanderLaan
03-09-2012, 01:46 PM
AZS is the only way to go with continuous feed but it is hardly manufactured in this country now. Minteq is doing a sort of AZS and the jury is still out on it. AZS does imply that you keep your glass level constant as in don't let it change. AZS would be pretty impervious to the nuggets but I can't say about the rest of the furnace. Cullet and AZS won't get along on thermal shock so you would need a feeder through elsewhere that did the initial melt. Then the bridgewall will be a whole separate issue. You are talking big bucks to do it right. 100K or so.

Eric Miller
03-12-2012, 11:30 AM
I'm researching Continual Feed Furnaces in anticipation for our next rebuild. As much as I grumble this company is hooked on Spectrum nuggets. Anyone have experiences they'd like to share about building/working with CFF's? Anyone see a problem with using cullet to charge in this type of furnace?

Charlie Correll recently designed a CFF unit for Spruce Pine batch. Its not spectrum nuggets, but I'm sure he'd have something useful to add to your research. He always does.

Correll Glass Studio
66 Hidden Ledge
Conway, MA 01341
413/369-4283
Fax 369-4769
ccorrell@comcast.net

Pete VanderLaan
03-12-2012, 12:29 PM
The furnace Charlie is ( as am I) working on is not out of the design stages yet. The steel work just passed through the engineering OK. There's a lot of cussing and discussing still going on about very fundamental stuff.

Scott Novota
03-12-2012, 03:23 PM
I assume that means that SP cullet will have a bigger delay than they expected a while back. I was given a 2 month lead time 2 months ago...

Pete VanderLaan
03-12-2012, 03:58 PM
Ain't gonna happen. The liner is a big part of the issue. AZS is really the material of choice and it isn't really made in this country anymore. Lead time is horrendous. There are composite AZS materials but I have zero faith in their longevity.

Mike Hanson
03-12-2012, 05:31 PM
I assume that means that SP cullet will have a bigger delay than they expected a while back. I was given a 2 month lead time 2 months ago...

I just picked up the last 200lbs of SP chips available on the west coast from East Bay Color last week. Jim Meyer told me that I might want to switch back to Spectrum until Spruce Pine figures out how to produce the chips again because it does not appear that it will be anytime soon.
I do NOT want to use the regular Spectrum nuggets again but, I have never used the premium nuggets. Is anyone having issues with fit problems with the premium nuggets?

Robert Gary Parkes
03-12-2012, 07:19 PM
Mike,
Try contacting Robert Held in Vancouver B.C. Canada (604-737-0020)
I worked with him for over 20 years with many continuous melters of different
designs, and many different glass types, he may be able to steer you in the right direction for a liner, he may even have one stashed in the bowels of his vast studio...Cheers!

Lawrence Duckworth
03-12-2012, 07:49 PM
The furnace Charlie is ( as am I) working on is not out of the design stages yet. The steel work just passed through the engineering OK. There's a lot of cussing and discussing still going on about very fundamental stuff.

oooooh. does that mean Cleveland Steel Inc.(and day care) are still in the circle for bidding on the structural steel fabricating and erecting part of this deal ?????

Ben Solwitz
03-12-2012, 07:58 PM
I'm from the Cleveland area originally Lawrence, do you know some people around there?

Lawrence Duckworth
03-12-2012, 08:15 PM
I'm from the Cleveland area originally Lawrence, do you know some people around there?

Cleveland Georgia, Ben. small hillbilly town north east georgia:)

www.clevelandsteel.us

Patrick Casanova
03-12-2012, 08:31 PM
I don't know if Doug Becker is a regular lurker here or not... (Sorry to out you buddy) but Doug has run continuous melt furnaces for the last 20+ years and swears by them. He melts nuggets as well. He's a great guy and I'm sure he'd be more than willing to pass on any knowledge. He's always been an active part of the glass community in the Twin Cities community... which goes back to 64.

Beckerartglass.com

Pete VanderLaan
03-13-2012, 04:19 AM
oooooh. does that mean Cleveland Steel Inc.(and day care) are still in the circle for bidding on the structural steel fabricating and erecting part of this deal ?????
I certainly believe so

Pete VanderLaan
03-13-2012, 04:20 AM
Cleveland Georgia, Ben. small hillbilly town north east georgia:)

www.clevelandsteel.us (http://www.clevelandsteel.us)

NASCAR ground Zero

Ben Solwitz
03-13-2012, 10:05 AM
Ha no kidding, I even googled 'cleveland steel' and the first result was a company in Ohio.

Pete VanderLaan
03-13-2012, 11:20 AM
Ben , you are simply confusing the situation for no good purpose. Would you consider removing that link?

Ben Solwitz
03-16-2012, 05:32 PM
Yeah I'll remove it.