PDA

View Full Version : Covington Wet belt sanders - Cold Work

Steve Lazer
03-10-2012, 06:13 AM
All, recently I have found some enjoyment in cold work - yes that is crazy for some but what the heck. I have been using a vertical belt sander for most of my finishing and find it very fast and providing reasonable results at the same time. Does anyone have experience with the Covington Engineering products, I just don't have room for a CRL or other large units.

Thanks

Steve

Pringle Teetor
03-10-2012, 07:42 AM
They are great and their customer service is wonderful. I have an upright belt sander I seldom use and works fine every time as well as one of their bench grinders which I use all the time and love.

Hugh Jenkins
03-10-2012, 03:03 PM
I grew up only a few miles from the Covington company and did a lot of rock polishing as a first hobby. I learned by comparison that Covington used smaller shafts for almost all their equipment than other comparable equipment builders. But, their equipment was also more affordable. As a company, they have lasted where others like Poly and Highland Park, which built tougher arbors, no longer are around. But, my Poly arbors have lasted much longer.

You might look at Lortone or Graves for stand alone arbors and lap wheels. It will depend on how hard you want to work the equipment what you decide to spend.

Pete VanderLaan
03-10-2012, 05:34 PM
I agree with Hugh. Covington actually bought Highland Park. Lortone makes pretty nice stuff.

Brian Mazrim
03-11-2012, 01:31 PM
CRL sells a 110v benchtop belt sander that uses 4x64 inch belt. The Covington belts are narrower, aren't they? One problem with the CRL benchtop model is the steel reservoir- it rusts and clogs the holes in the sprayer. I just replumbed mine with a PVC reservoir.