PDA

View Full Version : Stadelman door casting

John Riepma
03-14-2012, 09:22 AM
I'm about to cast a new door for our moly furnace and wondered if anyone can tell me how the 3/8" studs are retained in the original castings. Are there nuts or twisted wire or something inside the castable to retain the studs or are the studs simply cast into the castable material without anything on their ends? And are the studs stainless? I figure that I can pound ours apart to find out but I wanted to cast the new one without shutting down to do that. Also thinking about casting a vent in it near the top for use while charging and I'm thinking about heating and bending a candle to mount inside the mold before pouring and then melting it out - unless someone else has any other ideas/experiences.

Steve Stadelman
03-14-2012, 09:56 AM
Does your door casting have a stainless surround? Almost all of them are cast into a stainless" window frame" and the studs are welded onto that frame. I did make a few early on that had "tee" studs that were just cast into the door casting.

John Riepma
03-14-2012, 09:59 AM
Mine are just cast into the door casting Steve. They project out of it about five inches or so.

Steve Stadelman
03-14-2012, 10:08 AM
Well, with careful measurement you should be able to reproduce the door casting. The studs are "tees" with the tee being a 1" section of the stainless all thread used for the studs. Wrap the cast-in ends in a little masking tape. It will burn out later and help keep the studs from cracking the casting because of expansion issues.

John Riepma
03-14-2012, 10:13 AM
Thanks Steve, I appreciate the quick reply. Your help over the years has really been appreciated.