PDA

View Full Version : Refrasil, fiberglass cloth and welding blankets

Sky Campbell
03-21-2012, 10:41 AM
So I've been researching and trying to hunt down refrasil without having to buy a 50yard roll. I have used welding blanket in its place but it is not all made the same. I also see fiberglass blanket rated from 1,000f to 1,700f working temps. I would guess any of these would work but before I throw hundreds of dollars in that direction I'd like to hear if anyone has any experience with these fabrics. I did buy 5 yards of fiberglass blanket from wale that worked but breaks down quickly and currently is unavailable.

My preference is the irish cloth made by refrasil or the pre shrunk if anyone has a roll and wants to sell about 20 yards I can really put it to use.

Pete VanderLaan
03-21-2012, 10:51 AM
Use the search engine . There is a thread out there not long ago on partial roll sales of dip lag.

Sky Campbell
03-21-2012, 08:14 PM
Ok I spent a good bit of time reading thru all the archives and no go. I did learn ar refrasil is for abrasive resistant wich definitely appeals to me. Dip lag was talked about in the ceramic fiber thread that is still on the front page it has no mention of a source or if it will acually work as a dry fabric.

So I'm back again to ask if anyone could please direct me to a source for a partial roll of material or another option. I have ordered some welders blanket but I suspect it will only hold up to so many firings.

I have the question out in the universe and hope to find an answer. I will post back my findings if someone here doesn't chime in first.

Thanks for listening to my conundrum.

Dave Hilty
03-21-2012, 09:23 PM
My vast (not) knowledge is that Refrasil is another name for welders blanket as that is how I have described the product to both welding supply houses and a local refractory/furnace wholesale supply house here in the Detroit area. The last small quantity I bought to cover the frax bedding in my knock off box/table has been incredibly resistant to breakdown or burning.

You don't say what your application is or what your temp. range is so it's hard to be very nuanced in responding to your query: "I would guess any of these would work but before I throw hundreds of dollars in that direction".
What direction?

Sky Campbell
03-22-2012, 07:38 AM
Thanks Dave. The cloth is used in the annealer layered in between a product we commonly make. The fiberglass blanket from wale worked so so. I suspect most of the welders blanket will also break down thru heat and abrasion. We have refrasil that is years old and still holding together quite well. We also just built a new annealer that is 48x30x30 it will be built the same way with fiber then covered with cloth.

Ralph Laborde
03-22-2012, 09:32 AM
We use Lava Cloth on our knock off table over frax. Seem to work great! One piece has lasted over a year. It's also very fire resistant.

Dave Hilty
03-23-2012, 07:49 AM
Sky, give Tampa Rubber and Gasket Co. A call. They are the type of supplier I source Refasil from in a smaller quantity up here. 800-940-4673

Sky Campbell
03-23-2012, 12:36 PM
Thanks Dave. They were my first stop on this journey. Unfortuanatly they only sell 50yard rolls. I have since this started tried three low end fibergclotures lets under diferent names. So far I've found the welding blankets inferior. looks like I'm buying a full roll of refrasil ar. Sticker shock still has me in hesitation mode.

John Riepma
03-23-2012, 04:01 PM
Sky, maybe others on the board would be interested in buying some of that 50 yd. roll from you. I know I would be. Let me know if you go forward with it and if also what the price per yd. is. That hasn't been mentioned yet.

Sky Campbell
03-23-2012, 10:36 PM
Well here is the breakdown on the prices I have for refrasil. (50 yard rolls)

AR100-48  -  $27.90 per yard
C100-48  -  $44.24 per yard
UC100-48  -  $27.90 per yard

Now here's something worth checking out! "basalt"
http://norcf.com/

Looks like this could be a winner and it's made here in the US. I was told by a ceramics engineer that this will replace all silica and ceramic based fiber. Shrug, I haven't really read any info on it as my wife and myself both have shows this weekend. Anyone ever heard of such a thing?

Pete VanderLaan
03-24-2012, 06:09 AM
What is the other measurement. A yard by....what?

Andrew Boatman
03-26-2012, 02:07 PM
Hub Consolidated has TetraGlass cloth

Tetraglass Cloth

Tetraglass 3000° Cloth—$ 30.25/sy
Good for knock-off tables

Joe Deanda
03-31-2012, 07:48 PM
funny that today I was looking for something to put on top of the crack off table.. I found http://hightemperaturefabric.com/ I havent tried anything they have but some stuff looks interesting. All feedback welcome
Joe

Joe Deanda
04-01-2012, 08:29 PM
Iv been reading about lavacloth and it seems to work good for a knock off table but would it also be a good shelf liner in an annealer as well ? May prevent scratches that sometimes occur when we slide pieces around in the annealer?

David Hopman
04-01-2012, 10:11 PM
I tried using some graphite cloth in the annealer that I have been successfully using on the knockoff table. It disintegrated. Why it can take a direct blast from the oxy torch and be fine and then die in the annealer is beyond me.

Ralph Laborde
04-02-2012, 02:59 PM
Joe, It works great as a liner in the annealer as well as a cover over frax on the knock-off table. Been using 1 piece of lavacloth for a long time now. Extremely durable stuff(I found mine on ebay)

Rosanna Gusler
04-02-2012, 03:40 PM
I tried using some graphite cloth in the annealer that I have been successfully using on the knockoff table. It disintegrated. Why it can take a direct blast from the oxy torch and be fine and then die in the annealer is beyond me. same reason you all can cast hot glass into graphite and we fusers can not kiln cast in it. long times in oxidation at the temps where it oxidises faster. boy was that not a graceful sentence. rosanna