PDA

View Full Version : new furnace

Tim Elias
03-21-2012, 01:49 PM
Hi everyone
I have a 200# moly built in 91 used 1 year then stored. I bought and turned it on 97. many crucibles, 2 sills, 3 crowns later I find myself half torn apart to patch, new crucible, new sill to find sagged crown, glass eaten floor wondering if i should slow, down rethink and maybe total rebuild tight . Maybe energy can be saved.We have a almost finished wire melter that needs a cap and a lid.We have a good large glory.So what i need is some mentor advise to say yes slow down, advice on what changes to design, what castables. And does someone know of a small glory for sale somewhere as a lot of what we produce can be done with an 8 inch door. I am tired of trying to figure it all on my own. Most glassblowers I have met have felt like family so right now i feel safe in asking for help.
thank you.....Tim Elias

Steve Stadelman
03-21-2012, 05:36 PM
Post some photos. The biggest thing is to have a tight box with some sort of controllable vent.

Lawrence Ruskin
03-21-2012, 05:57 PM
so it's a stadelman molly?

I've heard of you guys, we have an e mail list of BC glassblowers, if you want to be on it.

It's for exchanging information and buying cullet in bulk that kind of thing. Not everyone is on the list, it has 8 or so people.

Cecil McKenzie
03-21-2012, 06:31 PM
Do you know if it has the donut around the base or not?

Pete VanderLaan
03-21-2012, 07:15 PM
Do you know if it has the donut around the base or not?
This is not a Stadelman furnace. It is a bit over 20 years old.

Cecil McKenzie
03-21-2012, 07:39 PM
My gas furnace had half a donut or jellyroll or whatever, so that condition is not exclusive to Stadelman furnaces. I used a narrow brass rod as a depth gauge to see how far around the interior wall the donut went. If the rod would not penetrate through the fiber to the floor of the furnace there was a mass of glass there.

Tim Elias
03-23-2012, 01:30 PM
Thanks everyone.
We are finishing our wire melter and will produce as long as we can with it buying us some time to decide what to do with the moly. it was built 22 years ago by micheal jukes who had come from sheridan ontario. He had plans from???? it has 6 kanthal 6/12 . it has a three part floor, five greencast 94 uprights a flat 3 inch crown and had a sill supporting the front so panels could be removed to replace crucible. it came with batching equipment and we batched our own for a year. mostely spruce since. it now has 6 inches of frax around and above with 2 inches peralite filling void around sides to tin.I am hoping to rebuild after this season and hope to have a really good plan. i lookforward to hear from everyone their opinions and stories. I will try to attache pictures soon as first try didnt work. file size too big.

Pete VanderLaan
03-23-2012, 01:33 PM
I certainly stock the 6/12 elements. They might be appropriate for that furnace.

Tim Elias
03-23-2012, 02:44 PM
mailed resized photos to myself

Kenny Pieper
03-24-2012, 09:24 AM
I suppose the passage bricks are tapered and the passage hole in the crown smaller than the brick so that there is a tight seal there.
Interesting idea.

Pete VanderLaan
03-24-2012, 09:27 AM
It's a very tough read. I have no idea what the transformer primary and secondary output are. That makes element sizing problematic. It is underinsulated in my opinion and it was also used for reheating which surprises me. I don't know what the SCR is or the relay (S) .