PDA

View Full Version : GB4 problem

Mark Rosenbaum
03-26-2012, 02:09 PM
My GB4 is acting screwy. It will go up to temp on the appropriate oven, but when I put one oven in turndown program, it does not respond (doesn't start the cooling cycle). The oven just stays at temp. I can cycle through the set points, but no response. I thought that if it is a problem with the relay on the oven, it would either over-shoot the set point or not even go on. All I have is either on or off.....any suggestions?

Andrew Boatman
03-26-2012, 02:59 PM
There is an internal fuse. I had to replace it once. That could be causing trouble?

Ed Slawson
03-26-2012, 03:08 PM
Just give them a call at 1-207-774-0300. They are very responsive and will walk you through the troubleshooting.

The website url is: http://www.digitry.com/

-Ed-

Mark Rosenbaum
03-26-2012, 04:59 PM
Just give them a call at 1-207-774-0300. They are very responsive and will walk you through the troubleshooting.

The website url is: http://www.digitry.com/

-Ed-

Ed: I called and got even more confused! He said that it was an unusual problem.
Andrew: I have some extra fuses, but I would think that if it was the fuse, nothing would work for that lehr....but maybe I am wrong

Pete VanderLaan
03-26-2012, 05:01 PM
I have to confess, I hear lots of GB4 problems on this site and I don't hear problems with other systems. Maybe everyone has GB4's? I am running stuff from Dwyer that is over 25 years old.

Andrew Boatman
03-26-2012, 05:21 PM
I can not remember the details on my trouble now. I do believe that the controller still came on but just did not function correctly. I would try the fuse and see if that works.

Scott Novota
03-26-2012, 06:03 PM
I can drive over and kick it, go get a drink, then kick it again on my way out of town. I have a magical way with destructive application of force.

Sorry I missed you at the show last week hope things went well.

Scott.

Patrick Casanova
03-26-2012, 06:21 PM
I would never go "one controller runs all" again. I have a Watlow 8CLS. I love it. However when it goes down I'm dead in the water if I don't have a backup on hand, because all 4 ovens are down. With single unit controllers if one goes down it doesn't put you out of business until you get it fixed. GB4's were picked up by a lot of school studio's and when those students went out and built studios they stuck with what they knew. Nothing wrong with that... but Pete's right there are a lot of good controllers out there really cheap.

Pete VanderLaan
03-26-2012, 07:33 PM
So, Mark, What are the Digitry people saying at this point. I recall someone having problems late last year and they were not able to get anyone on the phone.

Mark Rosenbaum
03-26-2012, 07:44 PM
So, Mark, What are the Digitry people saying at this point. I recall someone having problems late last year and they were not able to get anyone on the phone.

That might have been me that time too....that was a fuse problem..little tiny fuses in the GB4......I'm going to wait until tomorrow morning when all the lehrs are empty before screwing with the controls. It might not be a quick fix and I don't want to jeopardize a day's work.

Rollin Karg
03-26-2012, 08:45 PM
They might have spare they can overnight you. I have a spare too if you need it.

Rick Wilton
03-26-2012, 09:43 PM
I was thinking of getting a GB4 when I move in a new shop here soon. I liked the idea that I can potentially run equipment with more amps, than the shop has. The controller will only let you draw so many amps at a time so it'll cycle the equipment (only turn on a kiln, annealer when there is available amps. Since these mainly cycle on and off it should work fine. Does any one use that feature? Does it work well, I currently have three watlow ramp soak controllers.

Rollin Karg
03-27-2012, 05:25 AM
I was thinking of getting a GB4 when I move in a new shop here soon. I liked the idea that I can potentially run equipment with more amps, than the shop has. The controller will only let you draw so many amps at a time so it'll cycle the equipment (only turn on a kiln, annealer when there is available amps. Since these mainly cycle on and off it should work fine. Does any one use that feature? Does it work well, I currently have three watlow ramp soak controllers.

If that is correct that would be a new feature and is not the way the older ones work.

Pete VanderLaan
03-27-2012, 07:42 AM
I had not heard of that either. Clerly the downside to a centralized control system is all of your eggs are in one basket but the basket looks much neater than eggs randomly spotted around the room. I continue to keep individualized controls but I'm an old guy.

Victor Chiarizia
03-27-2012, 07:47 AM
watlow baby

Pete VanderLaan
03-27-2012, 07:55 AM
I find Watlow to be a confusing controller to program unless you do it constantly. They are also expensive. The new EZ series is anything but easy. I recently installed some Partlows in moly and they seemed pricey to me as well but I was simply installed units already purchased by someone else. I priced Love 16A yesterday and they seemed high as well but it may be the 4-20ma output that causes that to be pricey. I have not looked at Fuji prices.

Victor Chiarizia
03-27-2012, 08:19 AM
you have to program them a few times then it's not so bad. been buying them off ebay lately. less than $100. vic

Rick Wilton
03-27-2012, 08:53 AM
It's now called the GB5 but here's a quote.

So what do you do if you only have 100 amp service and have two 60 amp kilns and a 30 amp kiln? If you could be sure that both 60 amp kilns would never be heating at the same time, you could still use all three. This is where the Digitry Power Sharing GB5 can help you out. It will never allow more than one kiln to be on at a time. You may say, "But what if I want to bring up both my 60 amp kilns to 900 F at the same time? This won't let me do it!" That is correct --- it won't. You don't have enough power available to do that. But the Power Sharing GB5 will let one kiln heat and then automatically switch over to the other kiln. The GB5 cannot create power (this being against one of the laws of nature) but it can help to manage the power you have. In soaking, or ramping slowly, the "duty cycle" (percentage of time requiring heat) is frequently low enough that each kiln can get the power it needs; we just need a traffic cop to see that only one at a time gets it. The piggies, contrary to their wont, must all line up in single-file to get their turn at the trough.

Pete VanderLaan
03-27-2012, 09:33 AM
very cool. It now allows for under engineered studios to function by the skin of their teeth. All in an exposed 2x4 two car garage in a residential neighborhood with an Ed Hoy gloryhole.

Rollin Karg
03-27-2012, 10:26 AM
A nightmare for sure for an old Fire chief, but opportunity for a poor Glassblower. Not everyone can start with a pocket full of dough.

Pete VanderLaan
03-27-2012, 10:55 AM
Well, I never went to a fire caused by common sense.

Eben Horton
03-27-2012, 11:37 AM
my studio only has 100 amps. :)

Eben Horton
03-27-2012, 11:43 AM
and its a big 2 car garage.. HAHA!!!

Pete VanderLaan
03-27-2012, 11:58 AM
and its a big 2 car garage.. HAHA!!!
Well, do you use a GB5? How many ovens do you try to run at once?

Rollin Karg
03-27-2012, 01:08 PM
A nightmare for sure for an old Fire chief, but opportunity for a poor Glassblower. Not everyone can start with a pocket full of dough.

A couple of times I've seen a poor glassblower start with a pile of dough and end up with not much of it left.

My first garage started with 40 amps and ended with 400.

Eben Horton
03-27-2012, 02:00 PM
Well, do you use a GB5? How many ovens do you try to run at once?

I have a GB4. i run a side loader and a color box with it, but have 1 more annealer waiting to be hooked up and possibly a casting kiln. when.. cough cough cough.. i can afford to have my electrical service upgraded.
until then, the GB 5 would be a great option. Furthermore, you can have a GB5 configured for 0-20 miliamp proportioning ( i think thats the correct term) to run a gas furnace with a honewell damper motor

Pete VanderLaan
03-27-2012, 02:54 PM
I think the problem I have with the parceling out of power is that it pretty much implies that the service is always going to be running at close to full demand. The breaker structure is engineered for hopefully a safety factor of 1.25 so a tool that draws 40 AMPS is normally put under a breaker at 50AMPS. The presumption about panels is always the same. When you count up your breakers they always total way more than the main breaker since the presumption is that everything won't be running all at once. With the setup for the GB5, I think those presumptions are getting dinked with. Lines only carry so many amps and there's a simple chart that says what each size line can handle including your main feeder. Amps flowing make heat and continuous heat is worth pondering. On the SCR's I run two cooling fans in moly panels to dispel heat. I run one on my transformer and on the transformers Charlie and I supply with new furnaces. I have been told that is silly and I would disagree. On my moly furnace, the 350MCM cable supplied with and sized to the unit cracked and arced at the outside top of the transformer after six months in service. Now that I cool the transformer, it works perfectly. I am tending to oversize everything and to cool everything when building these things. I think that the same attention should be paid to an overworked , maxed out electrical main panel and that can be expensive.

Caution should be viewed as a good thing.

Rick Wilton
03-27-2012, 03:57 PM
THANKS PETE!!

Just when I thought I figured out a way to have my cake and eat it too you have to go and get all "logical" and "safe" on me.

Oh well back to the drawing board.

Pete VanderLaan
03-27-2012, 04:27 PM
When I was young I was much more reckless and invincible. Having seen a lot of things burn to the ground and a lot of people go through windshields, I'm just more circumspect now. We're never going to get out of this alive but we can postpone the inevitable.

Hugh Jenkins
03-27-2012, 04:54 PM
You could get the load sharing feature even with the GB3 but it was a separate box with a double throw switch that had a preference for one channel over the other. This did not max out the circuit any more than each unit would do alone, but did give more of a full time load on a breaker.

As I understand it, the newer systems still have a preference program, but allow each unit to have its own dedicated circuit breaker if available. So you limit the load on the panel to one or the other circuit rather than having to share a common breaker with two ovens.

Andrew Boatman
04-04-2012, 09:45 AM
Did you get a solution?

Mark Rosenbaum
04-04-2012, 11:18 AM
Not really....I changed out the little fuse, but that did not solve the problem....if we skip step 3 and go to step 4, it will come down by itself. I'll probably order a new memory chip to swap out.