PDA

View Full Version : Starrett cutters/nippers question

Travis Frink
03-29-2012, 06:53 PM
Does anybody know the difference between the No. 1 and 235 type of Starrett nippers and if one is more suitable for cutting glass murrini than another (the jaws open wider on one model than another,...)? I looked around a bit on the net but can't seem to find more than that one has a slimmer/narrower profile.

Carbide blades or hardened steel? Am guessing carbide but don't really know the reasoning beyond the fact that it is what I have seen and used.

John Riepma
03-30-2012, 06:37 AM
I wouldn't use either one of those Travis, if you look closely I don't think that there's enough room behind the cutting edges for the murrine you're going to cut off. Those appear to be made with a compound hinge in order to create a large amount of force for cutting piano wire etc. Here's what I use, they're good for up to about 3/8" thick or round: http://www.delphiglass.com/mosaic-supplies/tools-supplies/wheeled-glass-nippers

Pete VanderLaan
03-30-2012, 08:19 AM
The cutters can be adjusted. I'm in England stuck in the airport

Travis Frink
03-30-2012, 05:29 PM
I have used a it of Starretts that a friend has and they seemed to cut 3/8" murrini more reliably, with less loss, than the disc cutters. I have been looking at them online and wondered what the differences between the No.1 and 23x models were if there were any and thought someone on craftweb may have seen or used both and could elaborate.

Suggestions for 7" or 5 1/2"? Have used the 51/2" but wonders if the longer handle on the 7" really makes a difference.

I always seemed to get stuck at the airport in Chicago.

Wes Hunting
03-30-2012, 05:50 PM
Best nippers out there. They last for ever. 7" model is much easier on the hand due to better leverage. As Peter said the blades are adjustable.

Pete VanderLaan
03-30-2012, 06:05 PM
I have two pairs. Dick Marquis turned me on to them. I did buy spare carbide cutters and have yet to need them. The screws come loose if you don't watch it but they are great. I also bought spare screws and have needed them.

Jim Wiltschko
03-30-2012, 07:16 PM
I use both the 5" Starretts and these (http://www.lowes.com/pd_185152-16878-54581_0__?productId=3523638) 6" Kobalt nippers from Lowe's. I end up using the Kobalts more because they are quicker. With my Starretts, I have to nudge the handles open after each cut because the spring isn't strong enough. The Starrett has a bit cleaner cut but not much. The only downside for the Kobalt nipper is that the murrine wants to "fly away" and so when cutting I either do it inside a box or put my other hand on top while cutting. For $20, it's a steal. Zachary Jorgensen posted a link to these last year, but that model is discontinued. The new one looks exactly the same to me.

Travis Frink
03-31-2012, 09:25 AM
Best nippers out there. They last for ever. 7" model is much easier on the hand due to better leverage. As Peter said the blades are adjustable.

Thanks Wes. Are the blades on all 7" models adjusted with 2 screws or just the ones I have seen?

Wes Hunting
03-31-2012, 12:57 PM
Thanks Wes. Are the blades on all 7" models adjusted with 2 screws or just the ones I have seen?

I have two pairs of 7". Both are about 10 years old and are adjusted with two screws. They might have changed that in the last few years.