PDA

View Full Version : reliable schedule to pick-up temp

Thomas Chapman
04-11-2012, 11:23 AM
What is the consensus on bringing up overlay colors in a pick-up box ? One that is expedient yet energy-effecient? Gaffer wants to be to 1105 F, for example, before going to the glory hole, I believe.

Load the box, run right to 400 for 15 minutes, then to what, 700 for 15 minutes, then to 950 perhaps, then on up?

Thanks.

David Patchen
04-11-2012, 12:21 PM
Load the box cold. Set to 950. Turn on. You don't need a ramp for color rod but I wouldn't put it super close to the elements.

Once it's up you can load new rod if you put on a cold piece of kiln shelf in the box and set the rod on it.

A garage is better though since you can more easily continuously load the cooler side and after 15 min or so move color to the hotter side to soak for 30 more min and pick up.

Patrick Casanova
04-11-2012, 12:40 PM
Same... load and turn on and go to desired temp. I've got various sized pieces of soft brick that we use to set cold colors on as we place them into an already hot box so as to help temper the thermo shock... not a problem.

Scott Novota
04-11-2012, 01:17 PM
As strange as it sounds more than one person has placed cold rod in the color box in front of me over the years by dipping it in water and then just laying it in.

I have no idea if that is pooling at the bottom of the rod to cool the surface it is touching or somehow creates a slower heat shock do to the water evaporating off.

Again, hell I don't neven know if it is needed. Anouther one of those things that you just pick up from being in different shops that just seems to work. I have also seen people use small rod sized piece of kiln shelf that they dip in the water with the rod and place it in but that seemed to be over kill but worked as well.

Andrew Boatman
04-11-2012, 03:41 PM
Hey scott,
I have done that too. One time tho the water used was block water. when it evaporated off the color it left behind some icky stuff that did not burn off.
We do as David does. I like the new shelf idea when adding more color.

Eben Horton
04-11-2012, 04:22 PM
i have a diesel pickup box that will shatter kilnshelves if i just turned it on to come up fast as possible, so i program to go to 1065 in 20 minutes for soft transparents and 1100 for stiff opaques ( gaffer)

Thomas Chapman
04-12-2012, 08:37 AM
Thanks to all for the fantastic advice!

Barb Sanderson
04-12-2012, 11:09 PM
If I'm adding color to a hot box I microwave it for 1-2 minutes in a cup of water then transfer it to the box. No problems going into a 1000 degree box even for larger chunks of white for example.
Barb

Thomas Chapman
05-04-2012, 11:57 AM
That was very helpful, thank all of you a ton!

On a similar note, how about picking up canes, filigrana, latticino, et cetera from a cane marver in an oven. The latticino (especially if near 1/2 inch) tends to break going into the glory, even after a gradual temp elevation to 960 or so. Does anyone have a "rule of thumb" for this precedure?

Jon Myers
05-04-2012, 01:17 PM
960 isn't hot enough...(as you know) try 1050

David Patchen
05-05-2012, 07:58 PM
There is no such thing as "latticino." It's a made up word. Try zanfirico.

How long are you letting the cane marver sit in the annealer? Those things are metal and they probably take a while to warm up. I'd give the cane marver a good heat in the gh, then put the twisty stuff on it, then sit it all in a kiln for 10 min. Then it should be fine unless you pulled your twisty cane badly or too thick and it's got a ton of irregular stress in it.

Cane that's been pulled with a nice even heat is pretty shock-proof stuff. Unless it's extra long or thicker I usually don't bother to pre-heat it and got right into the gh from room temp.

Zach Jorgenson
05-05-2012, 08:47 PM
There is no such thing as "latticino." It's a made up word. Try zanfirico.

All words are made up. They get used enough to become part of the lexicon. Latticino happens to be in the dictionary.

latticinio |ˌlatiˈCHēnyō|(also latticino |-ˈCHēnō|)
noun
an opaque white glass used in threads to decorate clear Venetian glass.
ORIGIN Italian, literally ‘dairy produce,’ from medieval Latin lacticinium

David Patchen
05-06-2012, 02:36 AM
I beg to differ.

Zanfirico = any fancy cane.
Ballotini = a specific type of fancy cane (helix twist variety)
Filigrana = simple cane with color surrounded by clear

All the above terms I've personally heard used by Italians.

Latticino = some faux Italian term derived from "lattimo" which is what milky white glass is called. See Ed Schmid--myth debunked that this is Italian...but then again, feel free to ask your friendly visiting Italian maestro. Or go to Murano to find out at the source...much more fun.

Eben Horton
05-06-2012, 03:41 AM
I'm gonna start a gang and call it "The Lattachinos". David, you in???

Pete VanderLaan
05-06-2012, 07:29 AM
But you're spelling it wrong. Lattichino. Aren't they a coffee colored pair of pants?

I like my new word, Waylaid , an excellent sexual experience.

Thomas Chapman
05-09-2012, 11:28 AM
Thanks for the useful advice. And the vocabulary lessons.
Further reading defines "Lattimo canes or collapsed tubes (to give broad, flat stripes)" . . .

[p.96 "Masterpieces of Glass" (from the Corning Museum of Glass), Robert J. Charleston, 1980]

Jim Engebretson
05-10-2012, 01:31 AM
I leave my pickup oven at 1050f and put in color bar at will, pick up 15 min. later and get on with it. No big deal.

Chris Marriner
11-06-2013, 11:05 PM
So if I have a piece that I want to reheat and pickup... How many degrees per hour is a safe ramp??

Glenn Randle
11-09-2013, 09:10 PM
So if I have a piece that I want to reheat and pickup... How many degrees per hour is a safe ramp??

"a piece" ? It depends on the thickness. (and the value to a certain degree)

Pete VanderLaan
11-10-2013, 08:01 AM
and Sod's Law: "If you disturb it, it will break."